Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 10:43 AM

261 posts, read 307,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The best NC towns with beach access...

Wrightsville Beach (offseason)
Topsail Beach
Emerald Isle
Ocean Isle Beach
Duck
Corrolla
Kure Beach

I would list Nags Head and Carolina Beach a bit down the list...they are very commercial and good towns, but rarely quiet.
Be aware that Duck does NOT have any public beach access. So, unless you own an oceanfront home or own a home in a development/community that has a community access it is extremely difficult to get onto the ocean beaches.

Last edited by stopgo; 10-04-2017 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: spelling correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 03:32 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Just to clarify, all beaches in North Carolina are public. It's a matter of state law.

The town of Duck does not maintain any public walkways to the beach, though. There are private walkways from beach rentals and private neighborhoods, but the beaches they lead to are public. No private beaches.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:17 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Just to clarify, all beaches in North Carolina are public. It's a matter of state law.

The town of Duck does not maintain any public walkways to the beach, though. There are private walkways from beach rentals and private neighborhoods, but the beaches they lead to are public. No private beaches.
https://www.townofduck.com/our-beach/

"The Town of Duck neither owns nor maintains any public beach access locations. The Town of Duck does not allow parking along state roads, and there are no public parking areas at beach accesses. Please check with the homeowners’ association for your vacation rental or with your rental company for beach access questions."

Getting onto the beach isn't really the problem, but parking is. The only option I can see is to park at the town park in Duck and walking all the way to the beach. Hardly seems worth it when there are public access areas in other Outer Banks towns. I mean, I love the beach in Duck, but we rent a house there. If we weren't renting a house then I'd go to one of the other beaches to walk with the dogs. Right now we are sitting in our motel room in Kill Devil Hills and move to the rental house in Duck tomorrow. The rain needs to stop, though. LOL

Old 10-14-2017, 05:44 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I assume the OP was asking about a destination she could rent a vacation home in, so she would have access to the beach. Duck is not a good beach for a day trip for many other reasons.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:29 AM

37 posts, read 56,313 times
It would be relatively easy, especially now during the off-season, to fly into ILM in the morning on a Friday. Make the short one hour (maximum) drive up to see Topsail for the rest of the day and return to Wilmington for the night, then hit WB Saturday morning, CB in the afternoon and either spend the night or take the Ferry over to Southport for your remaining visit, hitting Oak Island as well and returning to ILM by Sunday evening for a departure flight.

It would be quick but you could cover quite a bit of coast in one long weekend, pray for sun and a light cool northeast breeze to cut the humidity and you'd be doing pretty well! just my opinion though-

*tbh having lived in Surf City for a year in 2013, and 3 months in 2011, Topsail doesn't have much to do for an entire day. I'd take a few hours there but leave more time to go out in downtown Wilmington on the Friday night you arrive. More life, more choices and more fun in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina