Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 07:10 PM

64 posts, read 64,908 times

Advertisements

I noticed that City-Data lists 16 natural disasters as being hurricanes. What is the range one would pay for insurance if your house is valued between 200-400k? I see the elevation of the area is around 50 feet. If one is living in Wilmington and not at the beach, what is the chance of your house being flooded?

Is it safe to bike around town in this area? Google maps shows some bike lanes. Are there dedicated bike trails?

It appears there is a high crime rate. I imagine that it is very neighborhood dependent. What would be some good neighborhoods to live in within the city limits?

I'm researching whether it would be a potential retirement location. Thanks!

HB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 07:32 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker-biker View Post
I noticed that City-Data lists 16 natural disasters as being hurricanes. What is the range one would pay for insurance if your house is valued between 200-400k? I see the elevation of the area is around 50 feet. If one is living in Wilmington and not at the beach, what is the chance of your house being flooded?
The only way to answer that is to look at a specific property in relation the the flood zone. Lots of floods happen far from the coast and have nothing to do with hurricanes and lots of houses near the water never flood. I live a few blocks from the Cape Fear River and am not in a flood zone, and don't carry flood insurance.

Flood Risk Information System

Quote:
Is it safe to bike around town in this area? Google maps shows some bike lanes. Are there dedicated bike trails?
Some, but not a lot.

Quote:
It appears there is a high crime rate. I imagine that it is very neighborhood dependent. What would be some good neighborhoods to live in within the city limits?
The area south of Oleander Drive, east of S.College Road and north of Piner Road is nice and has some great neighborhoods. There are others, depends on you budget.

Quote:
I'm researching whether it would be a potential retirement location. Thanks!
Its a great retirement destination, along with many surrounding areas. Thousands of retirees moving to the area every year.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:47 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
The homeowners insurance is going to be higher than you would expect. We just paid $2700 for a house valued about $325,000. The real problem from hurricanes is wind-blown damage, not flooding. The higher "wind and hail" rate applied to every home roughly east of I-95.

Federal flood insurance is a different matter. As the previous poster said, the cost depends on how close to a flood zone you are. To minimize cost, stay away from creeks, ponds and rivers.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:05 PM

64 posts, read 64,908 times
thank you both for the information! Hopefully, we can visit the area in April to look and see.

HB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: