Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 02:37 PM

19 posts, read 17,695 times

Advertisements

Hello! I currently live in upstate NY, originally from central Maryland and am interested in moving to coastal NC in about 4-5 years.( I will try to be as specific as possible about our family dynamic and what I’m looking for) Since we are just starting to look into potential relocation areas, there isn’t a specific question about a specific area as much as looking for some broad, general info and ideas from coastal NC residents. )We are in our 40’s and have three small children under 7 ( two of those children are on the autism spectrum-one is high functioning and one moderate.) I am an RN , hubby is management in an automotive business. NC is truly near and dear to us- My hubby used to live in Cary, we had friends in Chapel Hill for awhile and I have grown up vacationing yearly on Hatteras with my father, crabbing, surf fishing and deep sea fishing. We are interested in living in a semi- rural area ( no city, preferably no subdivisions or HOA’s, would like at least an acre or so if possible, full country living is totally fine if commutable ) within about 45 min from the ocean (or less) so that beach days are possible without making overnight arrangements. My preference would also be a work commute that would also be no more than 45 min- 1 hour max. The other consideration which isn’t a deal breaker but still relevant is proximity of an airport- I have 3 adult children who may not re locate with us but will most likely visit semi frequently. We are open to all location suggestions. I have Elizabeth City, Wilmington and Beaufort on the list so far but don’t know much about them other than generalized info. THANKS SO MUCH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 03:28 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
The Wilmington area is about the only area that meets your criteria. Brunswick County or Pender County, specifically.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:28 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
There are two major problems with areas other than Wilmington: 1. Jobs, and 2. Support services for kids on the autism spectrum.

Around Beaufort, I'd suggest Newport for better public schools, and then Morehead City for a better supply of jobs.

Around Elizabeth City, I'd suggest Camden County or Dare County for better public schools.

The Jacksonville area might also be adequate for kids on the spectrum, and there are likely to be decent jobs.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-27-2018 at 07:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina