Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 07:39 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times

Advertisements

I think Britts will be under water. It's concrete, right? They might be able to muck it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 07:28 AM

401 posts, read 528,652 times
It sure looks bad for Wrightsville and Wilmington with the storm surge and rainfall estimates. So many areas and roads around the whole area flood with just a day or two of normal non-tropical rain so this could be really bad. I spend from May 15 to October 15 on Wrightsville every year and had been hoping the forecast would get better but my hopes for getting back have gone from this week - to next week - to next year - to wondering if I will ever see it again. I hope it isn't as bad as they're predicting.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:27 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
I hope it isn't as bad as they're predicting.
It won't be. Media hype is at play here. Yes, the beach will be covered by water and it'll be a mess to clean up, but have to remember that has happened many times before. Shell Island resort spent many years with sandbags up against it's northern side because of so many hurricanes until they finally fixed it.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:16 AM

1,743 posts, read 991,977 times
I don't know if the cam platform is lit at night, (I just discovered the camera) but the sound of the wind is deafening!
(Nice daytime view)
Wonder if it will ride out the storm?

Below are two photos.
One of the platform's location, in relation to the N.C. coast.
The other is the platform where the camera is mounted.

Quote:
This ocean cam is affixed to the Frying Pan Tower, 34 miles off the coast of Cape Fear, North Carolina. The tower was built in the 1960s to warn ships of the shallow waters nearby.

Though GPS navigation technology means this tower is no longer used for its original purpose, it's an important ecosystem for marine wildlife (check out the underwater shark cam to see what we mean) and provides a beautiful view of the sun rising and setting over the Atlantic Ocean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deG4NxkouGM

Old 09-13-2018, 12:46 PM

1,743 posts, read 991,977 times
Poor flag is ready to go.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:36 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
I don't know if the cam platform is lit at night, (I just discovered the camera) but the sound of the wind is deafening!
(Nice daytime view)
Wonder if it will ride out the storm?

Below are two photos.
One of the platform's location, in relation to the N.C. coast.
The other is the platform where the camera is mounted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deG4NxkouGM
The guy that owns that lives in Charlotte and usually rides out hurricanes there and will adjust the camera to show different views. He's not there for this one. Not sure that flag is gonna make it.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:10 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My cousin lives just off of Venturi Dr south of New Bern. What concerns me is how close his house is to the river. Does that area flood badly?
I lived in NC from 1990-1999. I was about 90-100 miles inland however because of the way NC juts out into the ocean if a hurricane was coming up straight from the south it actually hit inland worse than the coast. A few days after the hurricane is when the major flooding hit from the over capacity rivers: the Tar, the Neuse and others I can't remember right now. Hurricane Floyd hit a few months after we moved from NC and my friend who lived in La Grange, NC sent me a booklet of the aftermath. It was a nightmare with the raw waste from hog & turkey farms overflowing, dead pigs & cows floating in the water.

There was some talk about one of the rivers that seemed to cause a problem in Raleigh and the government was going to widen it but I have no idea if anything has been done about this since I left almost 20 years ago. There is a reason they call the area I lived in the Coastal Flood Plains. Nothing should have been built in that area as it floods badly every time there is a hurricane. But they have lived through a 100 year flood and a 500 year flood, all in the last 20 years. Tells you something doesn't it? I lived there during Bertha, Fran & Dennis. I saw more hurricanes when I lived in Kinston, NC than I have ever seen in 40 years living in Florida.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:05 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,496,334 times
I remember Floyd in 1999 leaving doing more damage to the inland cities than to Wilmington. Places like Greenville, Kinston, Rocky Mt, Wilson, Tarboro and such had large portions of them underwater and without power for several weeks after the storm.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:06 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I lived in NC from 1990-1999. I was about 90-100 miles inland however because of the way NC juts out into the ocean if a hurricane was coming up straight from the south it actually hit inland worse than the coast. A few days after the hurricane is when the major flooding hit from the over capacity rivers: the Tar, the Neuse and others I can't remember right now. Hurricane Floyd hit a few months after we moved from NC and my friend who lived in La Grange, NC sent me a booklet of the aftermath. It was a nightmare with the raw waste from hog & turkey farms overflowing, dead pigs & cows floating in the water.

There was some talk about one of the rivers that seemed to cause a problem in Raleigh and the government was going to widen it but I have no idea if anything has been done about this since I left almost 20 years ago. There is a reason they call the area I lived in the Coastal Flood Plains. Nothing should have been built in that area as it floods badly every time there is a hurricane. But they have lived through a 100 year flood and a 500 year flood, all in the last 20 years. Tells you something doesn't it? I lived there during Bertha, Fran & Dennis. I saw more hurricanes when I lived in Kinston, NC than I have ever seen in 40 years living in Florida.
I live near there. Our power went out at 21:45 last evening. I do have a generator that will get me through a few days. I regret not adding another (a second) propane tank after Matthew. I don’t think it’s a good sign that our power went out even before the storm made landfall.

Hoping everyone stays safe.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:46 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Let us know how you are doing please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina