Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: real estate, housing, great schools, university, transplants.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 12:29 PM

25 posts, read 57,444 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are curious about Wilmington as a possible place we might want to live for a number of reasons. Primary reason would be proximity to her family which happens to live up and down the the East Coast.

Appealing parts are beach, warm weather, decent real estate prices, and from the reading I have done pretty good schools. But considering that we are from San Francisco California we have some fears, which of course can be unfounded - so we need some feedback.

We are very liberal and very open minded, and can call ourselves libertarian. We *think* we might not be comfortable in areas where God is placed in front of everything. We like to think that everyone has their own likes and dislikes in what they do, what they eat, what they look at, what they like to do, etc. and not be threatened by narrow minded community. And we disagree with those who think that atheists can't be as good, if not better, people in general. We don't like it when people *shove* their beliefs down anyone throats. I am NOT saying that Wilmington is such, but we have visited other locations that simply scared us due the area's closed minded way of life.

I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, it's a real concern for us and I would love to learn the answers.

So therefore I am curious if anyone here in the forums who moved from California to Wilmington, and can describe to me how life has changed for them, if it did at all? Do you miss the West Coast and if yes, why? Of course comments from the others are also welcomed.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 04:47 PM

18 posts, read 39,579 times
Default From CA too

We are actually going next week for 10 days to check out the area. We're staying in a condo on Kure Beach. I originally was attracted to Charlotte, but in order to get my husband to consider leaving CA, I started focusing on Wilmington so he could be near the beach. I will be visiting the schools, downtown, and general surroundings to get a feel for the area. Coming from Los Angeles, I expect things to be a much slower pace, something I'm very much looking forward to. My priorities now are better schools, more affordable housing, and being closer to our families (Ohio and NY). I'm done with CA, the direction it is heading is not something I want to be a part of anymore.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,991 times
I've moved to Wilmington from the SF bay area twice now. The first time, in 1994, I was 17 and just about to start my senior year in high school. The schools were fantastic, but being a headstrong teenager I moved back to CA right after I graduated for college. Then as time went by and the bay area got more and more difficult to live in for a single girl, I eventually made the decision to move back to NC in 2002. Since then I have bought a house in Leland NC which is just across the Cape Fear River from Wilmington.

My husband and I consider ourselves to be of the "alternative lifestyle" as well, atheist/pagan, tattooed and peirced, no kids, lived together before we got married (which is apparently against the law). Yes it is the bible belt, yes you are going to find people that care what religion you are, yes there are going to be awkward times, but on the whole I find the area to be almost as forward thinking as the bay. I try to compose myself the same way I did in California. What I do or do not believe in is nobody's business and I don't try to thrust it in their face as the basis of whether or not I am going to be their friend or not. Most people will extend you the same courtesy. I doubt you're going to find a group of townies with torches and pitchforks on your front lawn any time soon. hehe.

This area has a stronger older population, but the younger people are becoming more and more pronounced. The downtown Wilmington area is full of restaurants, bars, clubs, there's good shopping... Not as much availability as there is in CA, but still some interesting stuff. If I had to pick something I miss about CA it would probably be food, weather and the mountains. Overall though, I find the people are nicer, public areas are cleaner, the local government is more approachable, I don't think I would go back to CA at this point. I own a home now, which never would've happened there. I live on an acre of space and I can't hear my neighbor's every move, which is a big change. I feel safer here, and like I can breathe here.

My only suggestion would be that you look in Leland as well. The city is growing fast, reminds me of Livermore, CA about 15 years ago, when it was just starting to gain some popularity. Where it used to be considered a rural area, its now becoming much more suburban. Property is still less expensive than Wilmington, as well as the taxes.

I kinda miss earthquakes too.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagerzoo View Post
We are actually going next week for 10 days to check out the area. We're staying in a condo on Kure Beach. I originally was attracted to Charlotte, but in order to get my husband to consider leaving CA, I started focusing on Wilmington so he could be near the beach. I will be visiting the schools, downtown, and general surroundings to get a feel for the area. Coming from Los Angeles, I expect things to be a much slower pace, something I'm very much looking forward to. My priorities now are better schools, more affordable housing, and being closer to our families (Ohio and NY). I'm done with CA, the direction it is heading is not something I want to be a part of anymore.
Thanks for a response. I'm looking forward to seeing your post about the visit and your thoughts.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDogsMom View Post
I've moved to Wilmington from the SF bay area twice now. The first time, in 1994, I was 17 and just about to start my senior year in high school. The schools were fantastic, but being a headstrong teenager I moved back to CA right after I graduated for college. Then as time went by and the bay area got more and more difficult to live in for a single girl, I eventually made the decision to move back to NC in 2002. Since then I have bought a house in Leland NC which is just across the Cape Fear River from Wilmington.

My husband and I consider ourselves to be of the "alternative lifestyle" as well, atheist/pagan, tattooed and peirced, no kids, lived together before we got married (which is apparently against the law). Yes it is the bible belt, yes you are going to find people that care what religion you are, yes there are going to be awkward times, but on the whole I find the area to be almost as forward thinking as the bay. I try to compose myself the same way I did in California. What I do or do not believe in is nobody's business and I don't try to thrust it in their face as the basis of whether or not I am going to be their friend or not. Most people will extend you the same courtesy. I doubt you're going to find a group of townies with torches and pitchforks on your front lawn any time soon. hehe.

This area has a stronger older population, but the younger people are becoming more and more pronounced. The downtown Wilmington area is full of restaurants, bars, clubs, there's good shopping... Not as much availability as there is in CA, but still some interesting stuff. If I had to pick something I miss about CA it would probably be food, weather and the mountains. Overall though, I find the people are nicer, public areas are cleaner, the local government is more approachable, I don't think I would go back to CA at this point. I own a home now, which never would've happened there. I live on an acre of space and I can't hear my neighbor's every move, which is a big change. I feel safer here, and like I can breathe here.

My only suggestion would be that you look in Leland as well. The city is growing fast, reminds me of Livermore, CA about 15 years ago, when it was just starting to gain some popularity. Where it used to be considered a rural area, its now becoming much more suburban. Property is still less expensive than Wilmington, as well as the taxes.

I kinda miss earthquakes too.
Great post, thank you. How long ago did you move from SF back to NC? The comparison to Livermore scares me . I like living 15 minutes from SF because I like/enjoy the busy and hectic lifestyle. When ever I stay in a small quite town for more than a week I start going crazy. Is Leland or Wilmington quite like that?

Old 05-12-2008, 05:47 AM

2 posts, read 5,991 times
I moved back in 2002. I think that you will miss the crazy busy side of SF, I know that I do. Leland's not so laid back as most one stoplight towns, but it never reaches the frenzy the city does. Right now the consensus is that Leland is where you live, Wilmington is where you work/play. If you head to downtown Wilmington on a friday or saturday though it gets pretty busy. We have a strong college population. The traffic around here is bad for about 2 hours out of the day, which is infuriating and yet nice at the same time. (Locals think its much worse, those of us who know what real traffic is find it refreshing, hehe).

Leland overall is a lot more quiet than Wilmington at this point but only because its only really started to bloom in the last 4 to 5 years. My comparison to Livermore was poor. I would say its more like Tracy used to be when people were first discovering it. Luckily enough though, what we lack in Leland, we can usually find just over the bridge in Wilmington, which is only about 10 minutes away, or it's in the process of being built.

I do understand what you mean about missing the hustle and bustle though. I still miss it a bit myself. It is entirely different here, whether that's good or bad is all a matter of perspective. You've got to come out here and hang out for a week or two. Hope that helps!

Old 05-13-2008, 02:36 PM

22 posts, read 143,477 times
Default West Coast Posse

Hi There!
I'm a native Californian, grew up in the Bay Area. I moved east a few years ago and my husband and I live in Washington, DC right now. We hope to move to Wilmington next year. We should all stay in touch so if it works out for everyone, we can connect with eachother! I think there's plenty of city slickers in Wilmington and I think we can learn a few things from the native Wilmingtonians too!
Take care and good luck!

Old 05-13-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallison123 View Post
Hi There!
I'm a native Californian, grew up in the Bay Area. I moved east a few years ago and my husband and I live in Washington, DC right now. We hope to move to Wilmington next year. We should all stay in touch so if it works out for everyone, we can connect with eachother! I think there's plenty of city slickers in Wilmington and I think we can learn a few things from the native Wilmingtonians too!
Take care and good luck!
Why are you picking Wilmington area? Is it an issue of jobs? And are you afraid of culture shock when you move there?

Old 05-27-2008, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 13,976 times
I moved from Southern California to Wilmington in 2005. Like the post from 3dogsmom above, I miss the food and the mountains. Good produce is tough to find and it is the south so everything is fried. The closest mountains are a 6 to eight hour drive west. I do however like the weather and I personally became acclimated within the first year. This is the bible belt but I have not ever been ridiculed with religion. Making the move from West coast to East coast did have an adjustment period but ultimately I am happy with our decision to follow through with the move.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,975 times
I just recently came across this website. I will be moving to the area at the end of July. I am a very well-educated and successful gay male who has visited a few times. It certainly isn't NYC, San Fran, LA, Boston or DC, but I was pleasantly surprised by the vibe of the area. I think if I were a 20 yo gay male I would be seeing things a bit differently. However, I am an older gay male who is looking for a more sedate living situation. Remember, Wilmington has a large University nearby and many people from the Northeast spend some time in the area. My 2 cents for what it is worth. I hope I am right -- I am about to make a big move. Be well. P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina