Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2021, 02:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,373 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering relocating to Southport or Oak Island with our 2 daughters ages 5 and 7. We purchased a small cottage on Oak Island in October of 2019 with the intentions of meeting families with children to help us make our decision on moving permanently to Oak Island or Southport. Unfortunately shortly after we purchased the cottage the main water supply line broke and flooded the house. Our stay was cut short then COVID happened so we haven’t been in a position to meet other families. I know there are families in both towns, just curious if there’s anyone that can share their experience raising a family there or someone who just moved that can share their experience thus far.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 03:54 PM

231 posts, read 234,361 times
Pretty sure there aren't any regular posters on here that live on OKI and have children. You might want to search for Facebook pages like "Oak Island Locals" and see if you can connect there.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:35 AM

3 posts, read 4,373 times
Thank you

Old 01-27-2021, 07:44 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times
I lived on Oak Island in the 90s. I taught middle school. Maybe things have changed 100%.

From what I witnessed on the island, heard about from students, and learned in many parent conferences, Oak Island was a challenging environment to raise children, especially middle schoolers. Parents with school aged children were working, lots of unsupervised kids with not a lot of structure. And a lot of time. With an "exciting" influx of new kids (fresh meat) arriving every summer. For a week at a time.

We moved after a few years, I was so turned off (about a lot of things) we’ve only been back a couple of times even though in-laws have a nice home on the island.

Again, things may be way different after 20+ years. I hope so. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina