Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2021, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,765 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to visit NC beaches this year. I know Dewey and Rehoboth Beaches best and want to see what beaches, if any, are similar to each one. Dewey is a party town, but down to earth and is great in the off season. Rehoboth is more "refined" and has way better food. Also dog friendly is a plus. Thanks a lot.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 12:26 PM

425 posts, read 418,581 times
The beach towns here are family getaways - somewhere to rent a beach house for a week or two and unwind. It just takes longer to get out to the islands than for other states. They just out toward the east, and you cross long bridges to get onto them. A few of the islands are still only reachable by ferry.

Traditionally, young people from N.C. would head out to Myrtle Beach S.C. or Daytona FL for entertainment / drinking / hanging out. Some of the beaches near Wilmington like Wrightsville and Carolina beach are a bit more attractive to young people who want to "be seen" but I'd still say it's a family vibe for the most part.

There are longer stretches of shore here to simply bird watch, walk a dog, or read a book and be alone. Simply finding quiet, and getting away from other people, appeals to some tourists.

Old 02-21-2021, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,765 times
Thanks.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:39 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Wrightsville Beach has slightly more sophisticated restaurants than Carolina Beach. It is also closer to city restaurants in Wilmington.

Old 02-22-2021, 12:11 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,957,550 times
We moved to the CLT area almost 14 years ago and make the drive back to Rehoboth. We haven't made it to any of the beaches along the coast of Carolina as I never got the impression that there is a boardwalk like Rehoboth. We went to Myrtle one time and never went back as it wasn't what we're looking for so when we want the beach we head back to DE.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:46 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,781,748 times
I agree that there isn't much like Rehoboth and Dewey here that I've been to. (I spent 4 years in Delaware and 10 years in Maryland so went to those beaches many times.) I agree with SGMI that Wrightsville might be a *little* bit like Dewey and Carolina a bit like Rehoboth but overall not that much. The only other place I can think of that might be a bit like Dewey is Surf City, but I haven't spent time there - just passed through on the way to Topsail. In any case, none of the beaches in NC will have Grottos or Thrashers, so they won't be as good anyway.

Old 02-25-2021, 05:44 AM

58,994 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale H View Post
I'm looking to visit NC beaches this year. I know Dewey and Rehoboth Beaches best and want to see what beaches, if any, are similar to each one. Dewey is a party town, but down to earth and is great in the off season. Rehoboth is more "refined" and has way better food. Also dog friendly is a plus. Thanks a lot.
No 2 places are the same.

Old 02-25-2021, 09:58 AM

231 posts, read 234,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
No 2 places are the same.
But many share similarities. Which was the OP's question: "similar", not the "same".

Old 03-01-2021, 05:17 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I agree that there isn't much like Rehoboth and Dewey here that I've been to. (I spent 4 years in Delaware and 10 years in Maryland so went to those beaches many times.) I agree with SGMI that Wrightsville might be a *little* bit like Dewey and Carolina a bit like Rehoboth but overall not that much. The only other place I can think of that might be a bit like Dewey is Surf City, but I haven't spent time there - just passed through on the way to Topsail. In any case, none of the beaches in NC will have Grottos or Thrashers, so they won't be as good anyway.
You had me at Thrashers! I can almost taste those fresh cut, hot fries....salt, vinegar! Yum. I lived on the Eastern Shore of MD for 7 years and spent quite a bit of time at Ocean City.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:29 AM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
I had some Thrasher's fries in Rehoboth last week, don't forget the vinegar....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina