Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 04:08 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
We have friends who live in a DR Horton home in Cary. They’ve had no issues and are happy with their home. They opted for minimal upgrades…put in best hardwoods offered, best cabinets and then did a lot of upgrades on their own - quartz counters, wainscoting, crowns. The upgrades were less expensive and better quality this way.
If we were to buy new construction, this likely what we would do also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I also suggest looking at Carolina Shores older homes under $300K. They have mature landscaping which gives more privacy. There are also some houses on Lighthouse Cove Loop built by H&H, a decent regional builder, which are a few years old. They have flat yards, with minimal landscaping.
I also suggest looking at The Farm at Brunswick, a budget community that has a pool.
Thank you. We have been looking in these areas, just noticing that Realtor.com has pages of new construction when looking at "Newest Listings", I'm guessing the older homes will ramp up toward Spring when us northerners start marketing our homes for the move south

Old 12-04-2022, 09:00 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Some things you may want to think about when you are looking seriously.

1. Places like the Horton Express homes seem to be targeted at young families with kids. Personally, I do not enjoy sharing the community swimming pool with children. I would prefer a neighborhood with adults my age.

2. Applicances in older homes will need replacing. Heat pumps last 8-10 years, and cost $6000 to $8000 to replace. Water heaters have 10-12 year life spans, etc.

Old 12-09-2022, 07:19 PM

249 posts, read 514,766 times
My advice, take a look at "used" houses that are on the market. I intended to have a new house built in 2020 on a lot I owned but I found a much larger "used" home for sale on a larger lot in the same neighborhood but this one was on a golf course. The price of the "used" home was considerably cheaper than a new build, even if I had to replace all of the appliances and heat pump as goldenage mentioned.

Old 12-14-2022, 05:34 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
New neighbourhood under construction in Ocean Isle Beach by Lennar called Chatham Glenn. Very close to Sunset Beach, Calabash and Shallotte. There are models in your price range.

Old 12-15-2022, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
New neighbourhood under construction in Ocean Isle Beach by Lennar called Chatham Glenn. Very close to Sunset Beach, Calabash and Shallotte. There are models in your price range.
Thank, I will be looking into this

Old 12-20-2022, 06:42 PM

129 posts, read 169,945 times
You're seeing the new builds flood the real estate sites because the market has slowed down in many areas. Builders are offering significant discounts, credits, incentives, and huge commissions to get rid of the excess inventory. This correlates with existing build prices. All new home builders are going to have issues. Some more than others. I've seen some awful things in the building phases of $600K+ new construction home builders ("award winning"). I suggest searching FB for groups of people that have bought new homes from DR Horton, Lennar, Pulte, David Weekley, etc. I know they have a group for Lennar complaints for sure. Also, if you don't already I recommend having a seasoned agent behind you that knows the in's and out's of a new construction contract, can assist with the periodic inspection process, and can help alleviate problems as they may arise. Most of the work is subcontracted out so it's only as good as the Super and their crew that is maintaining quality control. If you go existing, try negotiating a top tier home warranty into the contract or order one after closing if the sellers aren't willing to pay. S*** tends to happen after conveyance so it's a good thing to have and may be worth every penny.

Old 12-22-2022, 07:01 AM

113 posts, read 186,225 times
We have been looking at Leland--traveling to look before the pandemic, online only since the pandemic, and some elderly parent health crises that are keeping us in place in MD.

The DR Horton homes in a new section of Brunswick Forest that I'm seeing online (flooding realtor.com) look to me like starter homes with BF prices. I can't see plunking down $450K or $500K or more for what I'm seeing online from DR Horton. And those prices are before upgrades. Unscreened lanai, let alone EZ Breeze. No wainscoting or crown moldings. Oh, they have one with 4 BR/3BA and 3-car garage with crown moldings for a mere $590K, but it still has cheap coated wire fixtures in closets and pantry. Not impressed.

I'd rather wait for a resale that has better features.

Old 12-22-2022, 09:10 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigPlantWeed View Post
.....The DR Horton homes in a new section of Brunswick Forest that I'm seeing online (flooding realtor.com) look to me like starter homes with BF prices. I can't see plunking down $450K or $500K or more for what I'm seeing online from DR Horton. And those prices are before upgrades. Unscreened lanai, let alone EZ Breeze. No wainscoting or crown moldings. Oh, they have one with 4 BR/3BA and 3-car garage with crown moldings for a mere $590K, but it still has cheap coated wire fixtures in closets and pantry. Not impressed......
Not to mention that gray LVT flooring. I would much rather have real or laminated hardwood.

Old 12-23-2022, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Not to mention that gray LVT flooring. I would much rather have real or laminated hardwood.
Rather have real hardwood floors, I was told it's not a good idea on a slab. Shelving is not a big project, Crown Molding could be expensive, rather have it done during construction if we go the new build route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina