Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 10:48 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,426,005 times

Advertisements

I am interested in moving to coastal NC. Was looking at Beaufort. Any insight into schools, traffic, quality of life?? Also I was reading similar threads and one main concern was storm damage. How severe is the damage, are we talking some downed trees or major devistation??? I'd be happy with any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 01:07 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,857,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
I am interested in moving to coastal NC. Was looking at Beaufort. Any insight into schools, traffic, quality of life?? Also I was reading similar threads and one main concern was storm damage. How severe is the damage, are we talking some downed trees or major devistation??? I'd be happy with any info.
I have been to beaufort. it's small, but quaint. I liked the area. traffic didn't seem bad as the population isn't too bad. I am not too sure what people do for work there though.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:36 PM

Thanks, do you reside in the coastal area?? If so how bad are the storms there??

Old 06-12-2008, 02:30 PM

505 posts, read 2,544,049 times
Quote:
Thanks, do you reside in the coastal area?? If so how bad are the storms there??
The storms have not been that bad at the coast. Mainly because all of the Hurricanes have hit Wilmington and moved inland. It could be really bad if a strong cane hit the central coast head on. But this has not happend...

I will put it this way....a biggy could hit NYC at anytime too. Don't forget the long Island Express Hurricane!

Old 06-12-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I live in wilmington. storms here aren't bad. we just get the occasional hurricane. the thunderstorms here aren't really too bad. you can expect a major hurricane every few years but recent years have been inactive.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:46 PM

Hey guys thanks for the info, I'm also considering Wilmington. What areas of Wilmington are best for young families? How are the schools, jobs, crime, taxes?? Thanks again.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:05 PM

713 posts, read 3,931,187 times
Smile Some answers on storm damage

Quote:
We live on the western side of Carteret County, the county goes downhill from west to east so you can expect more flooding the farther east you go.

The best site that I have seen that shows what could happen in a storm is NC Storm Surge. This is the link for the Carteret maps (http://www.hurricanetrack.com/ncstormsurge/crtret.html - broken link). They are what if scenarios. You should still check the local flood maps before you buy a place.

A lot of people in Beaufort and areas east work in Morehead City so the traffic does get slow in the morning and again in the evening, especially if something comes along to cause the drawbridge to raise.

Most of us think the quality of life in eastern Carolina is wonderful, there are pockets of poverty so like everywhere else not all is perfect.

Overall it is an absolutely wonderful area to live. I have seen a good part of the world and lived in Canada's Maritime provinces, Carteret County is hard to beat.

You can read some of my thoughts on why Carteret is a good spot at this link.

Last edited by dsobotta; 06-12-2008 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: left out word

Old 06-13-2008, 04:39 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,032,818 times
Please take that NC Storm surge site with a big grain of salt. The picture they show of the Morehead City Police Department after a Cat 1 storm is assanine. It shows water halfway up the front door which would have the flood level water 10-12 feet above a normal means level. All of Morehead City would be submerged after just a Cat 1 storm if that was picture was even close to being true.

I have lived here in Carteret County for almost 30 years-Never-Ever has that even come close to happening with a Cat 1 storm.

One very important fact that site leaves out is wind direction. Example: If you are on a south facing beach/shorline and the hurricane winds are coming out of the north-The storm will blow the waters away from you.
I had a place in Bogue, NC on the water (South facing). If you sneezed twice my property would flood. The hurricane (I believe Isabel) 5-6 years ago came out of the North. My property was high and dry and unscathed but directly across the sound from me a marina in Emerald Isle that faced north was dessimated.
Judging hurricanes solely my wind force and not wind direction is foolish.
Here's another fact-Most deaths associated with hurricanes are due to inland flooding-Not coastal flooding or storm surge.
Bill

Old 06-13-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Hey guys thanks for the info, I'm also considering Wilmington. What areas of Wilmington are best for young families? How are the schools, jobs, crime, taxes?? Thanks again.
I guess the best areas for young families would be ogden and monkey junction. the schools in those areas are supposed to be good. crime is spotty and there are some threads on here about crime in different areas. the job market here is tough. depends on your occupation. have a job before you move. my taxes just went up 11%. they aren't bad overall, but they do keep going up.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:25 AM

Yeah it seems to be the same with taxes everywhere, I'm paying a small fortune. I am an Interventional Technologist, I've seen ad's around for jobs already. Thanks for the info!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina