Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:05 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,028,177 times

Advertisements

10AM in Morehead City and Snow! It's of the non-stickable kind at the moment with temps. hovering around 34 degrees.
It was 46 degrees when I headed out for my morning run at 5:15AM. It dropped 4 -5 degrees by the time I got back home an hour later.

I love the weather along the coast!! Never boring,Always changing, Usually dramatically and drastically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 08:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Yup! Its snowing here in Wilmington, too.. very lightly right now.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:20 AM

291 posts, read 869,850 times
We had a couple of inches in Hampstead - looks like a winter wonderland outside! I love this! Hope we'll get a little bit more before the day ends!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:56 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,524 times
We are in Camden and I still don't see snow and wonder why school got called off

Old 01-20-2009, 12:02 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,028,177 times
We are in Camden and I still don't see snow and wonder why school got called off

Not only is the threat of snow a legit reason to cancel school along coastal NC but the mere mention of snow is too!

I remember a few decades ago when the Crystal Coast ran out of sand. Yep-We didn't have enough sand to spread out on our bridges.
Think on that one a little bit!!
Bill

Old 01-20-2009, 12:08 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,540,758 times
Remember michiganmom, there are few if any snow plows here and most bus drivers, not to mention regular drivers, have absolutely no experience driving in snow. Would you trust you children to that?
That said we now have about 1 inch of snow here in New Bern with a temp of 28F.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:16 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,524 times
Well I didn't mean to upset anyone but being from Michigan this snow is a dusting. I'm just saying we have none so the forcast wasn't quite right. I just find ot funny that a little snow gets everyone silly and yet when there is a hurricane warning people act like it will be a little wind storm. I guess it is just what we are used to and have grown up with. All I can say being from a place all my life that got snow that in MIchigan the first snowfall each year people drive like fools and forget how to drive in the snow. It isn't that hard if you follow one word..slow. If you think you can drive the speed limit on snow you will be sorry.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:01 PM

917 posts, read 2,298,779 times
Had the same experience when I moved here from Massachusetts. 1 inch and everyone freeks. Once we had 8 inches and schools were closed for over a week! (till it melted!)

Old 01-20-2009, 03:04 PM

713 posts, read 3,928,422 times
Smile A nice dusting of snow on the beach

About 4:30 this afternoon we drove over the beach at Emerald Isle.

The roads are wet with a little ice where there is a bridge or a culvert. The Emerald Isle Bridge was a little icy but they were sanding it as we went over.

A number of the back streets on Emerald Isle where there is little traffic were snow covered, but it is certainly less than an inch.

I snapped this picture of the beach before we left.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:25 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,119 times
The snow in Wilmington is nice - just a soft dusting. Unfortunately I had to watch it snowing thru the window since I had to go to work today

For the northern people that are saying everyone is freaking over such a small amount - you must remember that we don't have the equipment to deal with it. Not only that, but we only see snow occasionally so we tend to get excited and giddy when we do see it, just b/c it's so rare. The schools start closing b/c they don't want the kids to be unsafe while transporting them via buses (i.e. slippery roads).

I was in Michigan for Christmas and they had several inches. I drove on it just fine even though I have minimal experience driving in snow. It was slippery and slushy, but the main roads were plowed and everyone slowed down so it wasn't too bad. There is a huge difference in the road conditions in that area b/c they had the equipment to handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina