Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Need insight on North Carolina coastal area, single 28 year old female looking for safe, small town feel close to beach, regional rep job allows me to live anywhere

Old 02-08-2009, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,495 times

Advertisements

Hello! I was hoping to get some insight to the North Carolina (Costal) area. I am a 28 year old single girl and am going to be taking a job in North Carolina. The thing is that I can live pretty much wherever I want b/c I will be a regional rep and travel daily.
I currently live in North East PA... a very small town... and have lived here my whole life. I do not know anyone in the NC area and am looking for a safe, "small town" feel that is close to the beach (within 10 minutes)...
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 11:40 PM

24 posts, read 124,822 times
Check the crime stats in Wilmington and Myrtle.
Them find a place north of here.
Holly Ridge, Swansboro. or Shallotte.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:52 AM

713 posts, read 3,929,917 times
Smile Swansboro-Cape Carteret-Emerald Isle is a very safe area

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmcdade View Post
Hello! I was hoping to get some insight to the North Carolina (Costal) area. I am a 28 year old single girl and am going to be taking a job in North Carolina. The thing is that I can live pretty much wherever I want b/c I will be a regional rep and travel daily.
I currently live in North East PA... a very small town... and have lived here my whole life. I do not know anyone in the NC area and am looking for a safe, "small town" feel that is close to the beach (within 10 minutes)...
Any suggestions?
You might want to read my post, The last stand of the small coastal towns in the Carolinas.

One of the really nice things about this area is that there are people from all areas living here including locals. I have helped a couple of people, one an artist, move down from Pennsylvania. They continue to enjoy the area.

We have had a colder than normal winter which included our first coastal snow which was a first time in six years "snow storm" of one half inch that did not even stick to our driveway. It has not changed my mind about the area. Our cold does not compare to northern cold.

There is just a lot to like about the area from modern services to a year round population living minutes from the beach.

Most of our restaurants are small locally owned ones, like Ballyhoo's, Fairway, Chowdaheads or Riso's.

You are likely to get to know not only the owner and staff but their families if that interests you.

If you check the Cape Carteret Profile on City-Data, you will get an idea of how safe the area is.

This map will show you the basic services and how things are located.

It is also an area where you can go to church or not go to church. Our church has once a month after services pot luck lunches in the winter time so people can get to meet each other. There are plenty of places to choose in renting or buying, from condos to homes in subdivisions like ours which have a pool and water access.

We also have four lane roads out of the area. It takes about 2.5 hours to get to Raleigh from here. I personally like the last sixty-five miles which is a four lane road through farmland and a couple of small towns.

I once had a regional rep job myself and getting off of the Interstate and being home in five or ten minutes didn't give me time to unwind from the Interstate.

As to being close to the beach, we are the beach. Our home which is on the mainland is less than ten minutes to the beach on Emerald Isle which is a great family beach town.

I took these pictures yesterday when the temperature got up to 75F here on the mainland. It was a lot cooler over on the beach.

We also still have roadside farmers' markets, there's evening beach volleyball over on Emerald Isle in the summer, plus great bike and walking trails in the area. Beach walking is an area passion.

I love to kayak and take our skiff out. We are about ten minutes by boat from the Intracoastal and another ten to Bogue Inlet and the ocean where there is plenty of room on the low tide beaches for quiet and private relaxation.

It was sixty degrees here this morning by eleven AM. I even took our skiff out for a short run on the White Oak River. If you click through the pictures quickly, you can imagine yourself on a boat ride.

If you have questions about the area, let me know. I acknowledge my bias for the area but as I sit here typing in my upstairs office in February with the windows open and the cat asleep on the window sill, it is hard to imagine a nicer or more scenic place. I forgot to mention that the strawberries in the U-picks are usually ripe before mid-April.

You can also take a look at the area through pictures on a map with Google's Panoramio service.

Last edited by dsobotta; 02-09-2009 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: wrong word

Old 02-09-2009, 05:14 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
I think you have to be very careful where you live, if travel is high on your must do things. Traveling north and south in Eastern NC is somewhat tedious. US 17 is the best option, and it is poor. If you go inland to I-95 you can make some good time, but then you have to get back to the coast, which will take hours or more. First thing you have to do is try to determine where you will travel, i.e., what is the "region."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina