Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 08:23 PM

80 posts, read 406,139 times

Advertisements

How far would we need to live inland from the coast to be less likely to be affected by flooding / storm surge in the Jacksonville area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:22 PM

148 posts, read 611,369 times
I live about 2 miles from the ICW and about 3 miles from the ocean...Ive never had a problem yet...I specifically bought my home and lot because Im up high...Like four to five feet above the street...I have excellent drainage...The highest part of Carteret county is somewhere down around 9 mile road and HWY 24, or close by...

If you buy smart, buy strategically ( I love that term) you probably wont have any problems....The lower you go above sea level, the higher your chances of problems....

But this is the coast, I wish I would have moved here 22 years ago....

Old 04-22-2009, 10:33 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven McCurdy View Post
The highest part of Carteret county is somewhere down around 9 mile road and HWY 24, or close by...
Highest point - 300' SE of intersection of NC 24 and SR 1124 (Knoll triangle) - 51 feet above sea level.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:56 PM

thanks!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:51 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
When it comes to coastal flooding, do not think just X axis, think Y axis.
Most folks just think in terms of proximity to water in regards to flooding.
Think elevation (and soil type)
I know of water front properties that have not flooded in 100 plus years. I know of inland property, several miles inland that will flood if you sneeze twice.

Important Note: Most deaths associated with storm flooding occurrs inland-Not coastal

Old 04-23-2009, 08:10 AM

so what areas are most likely to flood? least? or is it kinda just a scattered area?

The Onslow county website has an interactive map, but it's hard to understand. Is there a map anywhere that shows clearly where the flood zones are? I haven't had any luck yet.

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2009, 12:25 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
Direct from the state itself! The North Carolina Floodplain Mapping Program!
North Carolina Floodplain Mapping Program

Old 04-23-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Direct from the state itself! The North Carolina Floodplain Mapping Program!
North Carolina Floodplain Mapping Program
Thanks! This helped a lot!

Old 04-24-2009, 12:04 AM

444 posts, read 1,615,173 times
Also think rain, not necessarily surge.

During 1 cane I left Kitty Hawk for Raleigh for mandatory evacuation. Next day, they gave the all clear to return. Problem was, no one checked the rain levels and how high or when they would accumulate down stream. It was one of those canes that sweeps inland as well as coastal.

A normal 3 hour tops trip became 10 hours of hell. Every detour we took ended up being detoured. You might remember when Suffolk was flooded out? We got out of there 20 minutes before the flash floods hit. Yes, we had to go all of the way to Va. to get back to Kitty Hawk.

After being forced to evacuate once per year for 10 years, we moved to Las Vegas. And yes, you are right. Our ground level condo 2 blocks from the ocean on high ground, never had a drop inside during those 10 years.

My favorite word: ubiquitous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina