Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 01:40 PM

4 posts, read 14,854 times

Advertisements

Definitely Wilmington. Housing may be cheaper in Leland because you get out of New Hanover County, but there's not much there. You'd be going driving into Wilmington for everything (nightlife, shopping, et al).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 04:50 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
I started looking at new developments and it kept popping up. Seemed affordable too.

I would love to live on the coast but for all those mentioned jobs, hurricanes and all that it's not a wise choice. Darn it.

One reason why it was so affordable might be because it isn't a nice place to live. You have to watch out for that sometimes.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:54 AM

958 posts, read 2,621,907 times
I lived in Wilmington from 1997 to 2002, and I can state honestly that Leland was looked down upon. Whether or not it was deserved or not, and I really can't state that it was or wasn't, since I didn't spend much time there other than an occasional drive through, Leland had very negative connotations. I know at the time there was a very high percentage of trailer homes there, and the Brunswick County Schools were not very good. I had co-workers who were constantly teased about the fact that they lived there. Things like "oh she doesn't know what she's talking about, she's from Leland", and the like.

Whether or not the talk was deserved I don't know...but that was the perception of the area.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:06 PM
KJH

10 posts, read 56,188 times
Things in Leland have changed tremendously in the last couple of years. With becoming incorporated, the addition of county sewer and water Leland may give you a bit more bang for your dollar but people who are still using it as a butt to their jokes are behind times and possibly could barely afford most of the property here now...especially with the raising insurance rates that have just recently been approved and the re-evaluation of property taxes. I am still kicking myself for selling what we had...it would be worth quite a bit over $1,000,000. We sold it for around $70,000. That all happened since the city septic was installed.
There are still some mobile homes in Leland but many of them have been forced to leave because of the high expense of the water and sewer hookup. All of the mobile home parks in the area that I am aware of have left because of that. More in the poverty level will be forced out with the raising insurance rates and new property taxes. When the town incorporated they also put some heavier restrictions on any trailers moving into the area. Leland is still involved in a clean up where they will remove dilapidated homes free.
The schools in this area are poor. From what I have been told they have improved. If you have chidlren you will surely want to check into that no matter what area you move into...and it is easy enough to check.
There are several areas that do flood everytime it rains. I would also check into that before purchasing a home. There was some pretty bad flooding when Fran came through but it affected very few. The hurricanes are mostly inconvenient in this area. My biggest concern is the lightning and a possible tornado.
The crime rate in this area, Wilmington included, is horrible. I am told that is pretty typical of coastal areas. I do not believe that is the case with all coastal areas.
The traffic is also a problem because of the growth. They are working on it but not very quickly. It will get worse before it gets better.
There is a lot to do in this area. And as far as the comment that the night life is in Wilmington...Leland is just 5 minutes from downtown Wilmington and you can drive to most of the other very quickly...especially since the opening of the MLK.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:42 AM

3 posts, read 11,721 times
Default Leland

We moved from LI, NY to Leland 3 years ago and the growth here has been amazing. We love our home and property and not to near neighbors. We have one teenager in high school, one in community college and one at the University of Wilmington - no complaints.

It is an easy commute into Wilmington from our home. The jokes about this town are from years ago. Presently Leland is being looked at as one of the most wanted areas.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:54 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
Leland popped to the top of my research list for places to move into. The only concern I have is the daily commute across the bridge for my husband to get to work. But I have two places I am checking tomorrow with a realtor who seems to think Hampstead is the only place to live (she lives there) and thinks it's an easy drive from there to where my husband will be working. (over 30 mins).

I've had to be firm in my desire to check the Leland area and getting into BSL seems to be non-existent for her...she's very resistant to that one. Said something about a different MLS system. IF you are selling Wilmington metro, it should include ALL of Wilmington metro.

Hampstead is nice but property values are high for the area. We also want something that is showing a potential for growth. My husband will be working near Castle Hayne. Liz

Old 03-27-2007, 08:44 PM

103 posts, read 900,002 times
Leland is redneck heaven full of trailor parks and partying. I guess the Northerners are running the country folks out of their towns now. Leland would not have been a town that you would have wanted to live about 5 years ago. I lived in Wilmington on and off for about 18 years.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Leland is redneck heaven full of trailor parks and partying.
That is NOT the Leland I saw on my trip last week. There are some super NICE subdivisions in there now. Some way out of our price range, LOL. Between Magnolia Greens and Brunswick Forest, houses are pushing the 500,000-800,000 mark and selling like crazy!

Maybe Leland USED to be a bad place to live but that is NOT the case now. Seems to be THE place to live, LOL. Liz

Old 03-28-2007, 08:32 AM

103 posts, read 900,002 times
You ran the country folk out then. It was where all the addicts used to live and party. Half the people were mostly illiterate, and I am not trying to be mean. My mother was saying that there is a big housing boom over there.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:02 AM

Moderator cut: off topic

You also make the claim that northerners are running all the southerners out...not necessarily the case. I may LIVE in MI right now but I am southern to the core. Some of us are coming BACK home.

We are moving to the Wilmington area due to a job transfer. Leland looks like a VERY nice place to live. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina