Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:13 PM

7 posts, read 23,361 times

Advertisements

Hi - - I am a college student from the midwest graduating soon. I am looking into the Wilmington area to possibly move to. What are some pros and cons of the beach life/housing/lifestyle/expensive? Thanks for you help and enjoy the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 11:12 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,143 times
high cost of living and no jobs. if you can get a job here, it's not a terrible place to live.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:26 PM

332 posts, read 1,431,192 times
I think the cost of living is reasonable and def cheaper than other parts of the state (charlotte/chapel hill) but agree completely about the jobs.

Pros: lots of people your age, beach, always something to do with friends, beach, beach, beach

Cons: too many people in too small space causes traffic issues, frequent accidents, too many cars on roads, transitory...lots of the young people you will befriend will move away, crime against the youngin's... i think families manage to avoid it but almost every non-native 20-soemthing I know has experienced a crime against them durign their time in Ilm

Neutral: higher girl to guy ratio, not sure if you are chick/dude but it def benefits the guys more, weather issues (frequent flooding in certain parts of town), cost of living -- I think it's acceptable and there are some nicer, newer places, no jobs -- there really aren't too many jobs anywhere... Wilm is a bit harder though because it's isolated a few hours in either direction

Old 06-23-2009, 08:53 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,000 times
Though it is cheaper than Charlotte, the Wilmington area is the 2nd most expensive in the state. It may be cheaper than Chapel Hill specifically, but not Raleigh and the Triangle as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationPlease View Post
I think the cost of living is reasonable and def cheaper than other parts of the state (charlotte/chapel hill) but agree completely about the jobs.

Pros: lots of people your age, beach, always something to do with friends, beach, beach, beach

Cons: too many people in too small space causes traffic issues, frequent accidents, too many cars on roads, transitory...lots of the young people you will befriend will move away, crime against the youngin's... i think families manage to avoid it but almost every non-native 20-soemthing I know has experienced a crime against them durign their time in Ilm

Neutral: higher girl to guy ratio, not sure if you are chick/dude but it def benefits the guys more, weather issues (frequent flooding in certain parts of town), cost of living -- I think it's acceptable and there are some nicer, newer places, no jobs -- there really aren't too many jobs anywhere... Wilm is a bit harder though because it's isolated a few hours in either direction

Old 06-23-2009, 11:13 AM

116 posts, read 425,704 times
This is a college town, I believe some 12,000 plus students at UNCW every year, probably 4,000-5,000 moving out and the same moving in every year, these numbers make it transient in itself, and on a lesser scale the same at CFCC. Therefor there is a large population of people your age here, and therefor a lot of college grads applying for a handful of good jobs, its a very tough job market and its not recommended you come here without one. I have a 21 year old son here and he enjoys the downtown area, lots of bars and a few clubs, gets pretty busy on Friday and Saturday night. The beaches are always crowded in the summer with a lot of students and grads.
As for the cost of living, you can get a reasonable rental, and gas and food prices are not much different than anywhere else.
Traffic is crazy especially near the university, where they built most of the retail too, so car insurance is high, the ILM airport is OK and its easy to get to, and the raleigh/durham airport is about 100+ miles north of here for international travel.
Like any city of this size there is crime, a lot of it in the area just outside the down town area, and so common sense would tell you not to go into that area after 2 am.
Because Wilmington is so close to the coast, where everyone wants to live, and its still affordable here, there are a lot of people coming to the area and with the economy the way it is who knows if it'll stay that way.
Good luck to you in your search.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:49 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Though it is cheaper than Charlotte, the Wilmington area is the 2nd most expensive in the state. It may be cheaper than Chapel Hill specifically, but not Raleigh and the Triangle as a whole.
I'm sure it depends on what source you're using.

I recall that when I moved here in 2007, a study was released that said Wilmington had the 2nd highest cost of living of any city in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia combined. Higher than Raleigh, Asheville, Charlotte, Charleston and the DC suburbs. #1 was Richmond.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:13 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,445 times
note that wilmington is not located on the beach ,hence there is not such thing as wilmington beach.
wilmington is located on the cape fear river about ten miles from wrigthsville beach.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:00 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
^ there is an old community called "Wilmington Beach", between Kure and Carolina Beaches.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:32 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,445 times
yeah , that was true , now it is part of carolina beach,
we used to live in the little neighborhood next to wilmington beach , called hanby beach , now part of kure beach.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:39 AM

372 posts, read 1,228,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
yeah , that was true , now it is part of carolina beach,
we used to live in the little neighborhood next to wilmington beach , called hanby beach , now part of kure beach.
Just out of curiosity, when did all the name changes take place? We've been going to Carolina Beach for 15 years now (ever since my brother moved to Wilmington) and I had never heard of the other names. TIA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina