Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:55 PM

9 posts, read 74,905 times

Advertisements

It is finally about time for our long awaited trip to eastern NC. In between checking out potential communities to possibly relocate to we'd also like to have some fun of the sort only the NC Atlantic coast has to offer. We are very limited timewise and therefore geographically as well. Planned is a trip to Cape Lookout Lighthouse and then down the coast to the area around Atlantic City and Emerald Isle. I would be very interested in local input on a few things:

1) are there any towns along this stretch that have a boardwalk, the kind that fronts the water and has the little shops and snack shacks?

2) where is a really really good place to eat dinner out on that stretch of coast? not too pricey, definitely not touristy, the kind of place a local would go to because the food just can't be beat?

3) any recommendations of a good beach to let the kids run around and have some fun for a little while?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can provide input.

Last edited by HoopsShorty23; 06-04-2007 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: misspelled word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 07:15 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsShorty23 View Post
It is finally about time for our long awaited trip to eastern NC. In between checking out potential communities to possibly relocate to we'd also like to have some fun of the sort only the NC Atlantic coast has to offer. We are very limited timewise and therefore geographically as well. Planned is a trip to Cape Lookout Lighthouse and then down the coast to the area around Atlantic City and Emerald Isle. I would be very interested in local input on a few things:

1) are there any towns along this stretch that have a boardwalk, the kind that fronts the water and has the little shops and snack shacks?

2) where is a really really good place to eat dinner out on that stretch of coast? not too pricey, definitely not touristy, the kind of place a local would go to because the food just can't be beat?

3) any recommendations of a good beach to let the kids run around and have some fun for a little while?

No board walks in NC,,(Hurricanes) This time of year the whole coast of nc is touristy. The beaches all have public access so only issue would be bath houses which is not common. Fort macon has bath rooms and good access close to atlantic beach(not atlantic city thats NJ and it has board walks)
Wrightsville beach has a public bath house and access. Wilmington has lots of good places to eat try the Bridge tender. but as far as on the beach all tourist traps,There is sharkys in Ocean isle, capt bills and sanitary on morehead water front. Clawsons over the bridge as well as the dock house.
Good luck

Old 06-04-2007, 07:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Hi your starting point is a good location since you are limited on time the outer banks will be out of question but hopefully you will be able to spend time there in the future.

In case you are not aware there is no road to Cape Lookout lighthouse you will need to arrive by private ferry either from Harkers Island or Beaufort (pronounced Boo - furt) and a good suggestion is advance reservations during the summer to guarantee a trip. ( I know soon they are having one of there limited times they allow people inside)

All the beaches in NC are good family beaches from Beaufort a great starting point then Morehead city then Atlantic Beach (there is not atlantic city nc)then travel down to Topsail Beach if there any time left head down to wilmington beach row from Wrightsville to Fort Fisher.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:16 PM

my BAD!! I meant Atlantic Beach . . .

Old 06-04-2007, 08:45 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,327 times
Quote:
It is finally about time for our long awaited

Beaufort has a very nice boardwalk along Taylor's Creek and their marina, there are plenty of shops there. I have seen dolphins in Taylor's Creek and sometimes you can see the wild ponies from the boardwalk. You can also take a boat from Beaufort to Cape Lookout.

There are also restaurants along the boardwalk, but in general they are pricey.

There is a picture of the Beaufort boardwalk in a travel guide for Beaufort (http://coastalnc.org/beaufortnctravelguide - broken link) that I did.

I can recommend a few places that are not touristy. The first is in Beaufort and is called the Net House. It isn't fancy and prices are a little lower than most of the main street Beaufort restaurants.

Noname Pizza which is on the way out town on 70E is one of the less expensive places to eat in Beaufort, it is good for kids also. It won't have seafood like the Nethouse though.

If you want to go a little farther and get something with more atmosphere, I can recommend The Crab Shack (http://coastalnc.org/crabshack - broken link) in Salter path. It has very reasonable seafood prices, is a favorite of some of us locals and is on the water. Though it doesn't sound like you have time, I had a great bowl of steamed blue crabs (http://coastalnc.org/bowlofcrabs - broken link) there a few weeks ago.

You can check my slowly growing Coastal NC Restaurant site for more recommendations.

If you head down from Beaufort to Emerald Isle, my suggestion would be to cut over at Morehead City and drive down the beach on Route 58 from Atlantic Beach to Emerald Isle. The Crab Shack is just before you get to Emerald Isle.

There is a small board walk right on the beach just when you come into Altantic beach. There are a couple of snack shops there. We haven't tried them but we have walked the beach there. If you can find parking it is a nice beach.

My favorite beaches are in Emerald Isle, the smallest and usually most private is 3rd Street Beach. It only has a handful of parking spots, but there is no changing facility or bathrooms. It is usually a great shelling beach.

After that my favorite would be Emerald Isle's Eastern Regional Access. It has the full deal, bathrooms, water to wash your feet and showers. It is not quiet as fancy as the Western Regional Access which has a large paved parking lot and volley ball courts and picnic tables.

However the Eastern Access is usually less crowed and I find it nicer for walking. It usually has a gentle slope but you never know as beaches change.

The surf was up there today because of the storm that was here this weekend. These are pictures from the Eastern Regional Access point that we snapped before going to eat at the Crab Shack this evening. It was not the kind of day to let kids get more than knee deep in the surf because of the storm driven waves.

These are beach shots taken on a more normal day.

You can check my two other sites, Southern Outer Banks and Coastal Paradise for more info.

Swansboro which is near Emerald Isle also has nice shops along main street which runs along the water. Ice House and Jana's are reasonably priced at lunch. T&W's Oyster House on 58 has more character than many can handle, but the Grouper sandwiches are hard to beat and reasonably priced.

Send me a note if I have missed anything that you need to know.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:08 AM

25 posts, read 107,373 times
Rucker Johns on Emerald Isle is an excellent restaurant, great atmosphere and not expensive. RuckerJohns Resturant

Old 06-05-2007, 05:33 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,802 times
Boardwalks?? Beaufort has a great waterfront boardwalk-Morehead City has a great waterfront boardwalk-Atlantic Beach has one, Washington, NC has one-Great waterfront towns to stroll-Swansboro, Southport-The list is endless.
And the entire coast is not touristy right now. I can take you to beaches that a single soul can not be found for miles-And I'm not talkin' the uninhabitted islands either!!
Bill

Old 06-05-2007, 07:30 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Boardwalks?? Beaufort has a great waterfront boardwalk-Morehead City has a great waterfront boardwalk-Atlantic Beach has one, Washington, NC has one-Great waterfront towns to stroll-Swansboro, Southport-The list is endless.
And the entire coast is not touristy right now. I can take you to beaches that a single soul can not be found for miles-And I'm not talkin' the uninhabitted islands either!!

Bill
again Bills perception a little different with same anwser. The definition I use of Board walk a walkway made of wooden boards; usually at seaside,Quote.
Atlantic beach amusment area would fit def. NJ has many true seaside Boardwalks. I also listed places on the Morehead waterfront which is on the sound and waterway not ocean, more of a marina view, ocean boardwalks really are not common like up north or out west. And yes there is a large amount of protected ocean front belonging to state of NC if you wish to take a ferry or have a boat. The posted area of interest however is more touristy from Atlantic beach to the south. Exceptions Shacklford banks ,Masonboro Island near carolina beach state owned as well and require ferry or boat. Did not notice poster saying he had a boat. The northern areas are more time consuming and have less access then the central and southern coastal area which is much more populated. Two diferent veiws from two different natives one a realestate man and one not. Check it out and enjoy.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:48 PM

It sounds like next Monday night's dinner is at the Crab House after an arduous hike around Cape Lookout and some chillin at Emerald Isle beach. Thank you all, obviously southern kindness is alive and well in NC!!

Old 06-21-2007, 07:24 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
my BAD!! I meant Atlantic Beach . . .

I like Atlantic Beach, I've been to Wilmington, Carolina Beach and Kure and I like Atlantic better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina