Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 11:22 PM

610 posts, read 3,017,685 times

Advertisements

I have been accepted to UNCW and also Colorado State in Fort Collins, but I can't decide which school I should go to. If anyone on here has lived in both cities or have gone to both schools, let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 08:35 AM

21 posts, read 46,793 times
Hand down, Fort Collins!
The people are friendlier & more easy going in Colorado. The population is younger, healthier & way more active. Nothing like the consertative, bible thumping, go to my church or go to hell types I've found here. I've lived here 3 years & since I don't go to church, don't have kids & am not a Republican, I'm an outcast.
Then there's the weather. OMG do I miss the low/no humidity, lack of bugs, the warm clear sunny days and clear cool nights. Don't let the TV blizzard pictures scare you. Snow along the Front Range usually happens 1 day and is gone in 2 or 3. The snow stays up in the mountains where it's supposed to. Day time temps in the winter are in the 40-50s most of the time. The weather in NC is awful, if you go outside between April and November you immediately break out in a sweat because it's so hot and humid. I walk my dog at 5:30am and it's 75 degrees with 85% humidity. In CO she never had a flea or tick. In NC we have to treat her and my indoor cat for fleas year round!
The bugs are awful. Mosquitos, spiders, ants other flying and crawing things I can't begin to mention. I never had bugs in any place I lived in, in CO. In NC I had to hire a pest company to spray every quarter. You cannot sit outside in NC without getting eaten alive. You cannot open a window because they come through the screens.

I lived in CO for 17 years and in NC for 3. We moved back east to take care of my grandmother (she's 97). I can't wait to move back!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:24 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,014,133 times
What are you planning to study? There are distinct advantages to either school depending on what you're looking for. UNCW has a fantastic marine biology program and also has strong programs in media, nursing, and allied health. Colorado has other strengths I'm sure - never went to that school so I'm not as familiar with it. Let's face it - you can live anywhere for a few years. I LOVED college in Wilmington. Yes it was humid but what did I care? Five minutes to the beach, surfed, swam, boating, windsurfing...depends on what kind of recreation you're into as well. Don't think of it as "living" there. Think of it as a short term opportunity to explore lots of different opportunities. Depends on what you want to get from college and what you want to study - and what you want to do when you're not studying.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:48 AM

291 posts, read 871,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crsmith View Post
Hand down, Fort Collins!
The people are friendlier & more easy going in Colorado. The population is younger, healthier & way more active. Nothing like the consertative, bible thumping, go to my church or go to hell types I've found here. I've lived here 3 years & since I don't go to church, don't have kids & am not a Republican, I'm an outcast.
Then there's the weather. OMG do I miss the low/no humidity, lack of bugs, the warm clear sunny days and clear cool nights. Don't let the TV blizzard pictures scare you. Snow along the Front Range usually happens 1 day and is gone in 2 or 3. The snow stays up in the mountains where it's supposed to. Day time temps in the winter are in the 40-50s most of the time. The weather in NC is awful, if you go outside between April and November you immediately break out in a sweat because it's so hot and humid. I walk my dog at 5:30am and it's 75 degrees with 85% humidity. In CO she never had a flea or tick. In NC we have to treat her and my indoor cat for fleas year round!
The bugs are awful. Mosquitos, spiders, ants other flying and crawing things I can't begin to mention. I never had bugs in any place I lived in, in CO. In NC I had to hire a pest company to spray every quarter. You cannot sit outside in NC without getting eaten alive. You cannot open a window because they come through the screens.

I lived in CO for 17 years and in NC for 3. We moved back east to take care of my grandmother (she's 97). I can't wait to move back!
Wow -97 - sounds like all that heat and humidity have worked well for Granny! And I hope you are enjoying these beautiful less humid days we are having now!

Old 10-04-2009, 04:22 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,406,994 times
i second the thought that all that humidity,heat and miserable people must have worked well
for your grandmother!!!

i also see that you are posting from clinton which is not wilmington.

wilmington is the largest city on the NC coast.

i also do not go to church , not a republican and have managed to survive
just fine in wilmington.
the humidity is around for 3-4 months june-sept. with many delightful days that one could spend at the beach.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:34 PM

693 posts, read 1,609,139 times
Yeah, it's so hot and humid right now early Oct...I'm dying...which is why I'm sitting here with a light sweater on.

I agree with the poster who mentioned what you want to study. There are likely advantages to either place. And if you want to be near mountains vs. the beach. A lot to be said for both places, I'm sure. CO is a beautiful state, with nice people, as is NC. Can you take the opportunity to visit both campuses before making the decision?

Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 PM

610 posts, read 3,017,685 times
Right now I am living in Wilmington.

I drove through the UNCW campus the other day and it seems like a really nice place. All the buildings and dorms looked brand new and it has a nice feel to it. However, I don't know if I should pack my bags and try something different like Colo State in Fort Collins. I have lived in NC pretty much my whole life except the time I spent overseas while I was in the military.

I know what you mean when you talk about all the "Bible Thumpers" in Wilmington and essentially the whole state. I'm sure Fort Collins is more liberal and more environmentally friendly and "green".

I guess I'll have to sleep on it...

Old 10-04-2009, 10:31 PM

I would suggest packing your car for a bit of a road trip.
If you've lived in NC most of your life, a bit of time in CO can do you no harm, and likely a world of good. It's always good to get out of our normal environment to experience new things.
But do take a trip to see it before you make a decision if you can.
And I could be classified as a Bible thumping Republican (though those that generalize as such have no idea what they are talking about. )
Regardless you can't go wrong, methinks!

Old 10-07-2009, 04:18 PM

21 posts, read 46,793 times
Yep, grandmom is the original energizer bunny all right! My husband lives with/cares for her 4 days a week and comes home on the weekends. She lives near Holden Beach. He gets to do his morning walk along the ocean. She is pretty much self sufficient, though we don't let her cook anymore simply because she doesn't have the strength to lift the pots with any certainty and refuses to use the microwave.

I agree, Wilmington is a beautiful city and we thought about moving there but a job came up in Clinton first. The bottom line is the humidity and bugs drive me nuts! I never had "heat rash" in my life until I moved here. Maryland's (pre-Colorado) humidity was never this bad and neither were the bugs. While last week and the weekend were gorgeous the kind of days where you can open you windows are few and far between.

Sorry folks, Colorado still get my vote. Besides, Fort Collins isn't far from Wyoming, the place where men are men, etc, etc, etc.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsmith View Post
Besides, Fort Collins isn't far from Wyoming, the place where men are men, etc, etc, etc.
Gotta go to Alaska for that, mate!

Herbal talcum powder is great for heat rash. I lived in the tropics for a long time and all the locals use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina