Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 02:52 PM

22 posts, read 36,111 times

Advertisements

I do a lot of bike flipping too. Sales are a little down now in big cities where the delivery contingent is now fully committed to ebikes. I can't believe you got the above bike for 20 bucks, though. Bonded Carbon and in perfect shape, a very difficult find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 04:45 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times
^
Doubt I could get it now for that price. But bikes along the lines of the 2500 were common finds one upon a time.

I have made about 14K flipping bikes since 08'.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:13 AM

5 posts, read 6,005 times
lol, I bought a brand new luxury brand Tux at a thrift shop for $20 and sold it a few months later for more..lol. you can use your imagination $$$$$$$$ it really helped me out at the time, thank you thrift shop

Old 06-28-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldc3039 View Post
lol, I bought a brand new luxury brand Tux at a thrift shop for $20 and sold it a few months later for more..lol. you can use your imagination $$$$$$$$ it really helped me out at the time, thank you thrift shop
You can make money on many things out of those places. You just have to know what to look for, and being in the right one at the right time.

It's still become a lot tougher because they have become much smarter on how they go about sorting the stuff. Anything they think they can put on their shopwhatever.com site they do.

Last thing I would do is drive to these places. Not within a couple miles of home forget it. You would be better off going to a massive fleamarket a few times a year, or maybe yardsale season in certain areas.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:16 PM

Okay, I will cheat, it's just cool..........

Old 07-17-2020, 08:04 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Two, sorta kinda.

First: last hour of the last day as I shut down my dad's estate, cab almost literally waiting to take me to the airport and away probalby forever, I dug in a last box of (worthless) and found my mother's family bible, dating to start of the 19th Century. It had been in the slightly-clammy basement forty years, hauled around from who knows where.

While of questionable 'value' in dollars, it has a modest amount of family information about the (somewhat common Irish name) family. They settled Ohio in I believe the 1840s, ending in Springfield. Some are there to this day. The bible lists some interesting births and deaths, of names I was taught by mom as a lad. So one day, I'll tree that out, and will the bible to someone on that side of the family. I know almost none of them, but still: they won't be hard to find, now.

Second: not quite a "thrift" store, more upscale, but I caught a Michael Godard artist proof (xx of 75 or so) in thier back room. I paid a non-trivial $700 for it, but correctly assumed it would be a good investment. Some art, you just know. He's popular, but his work is always in demand and they sell second hand (most of his APs) for $2,000 at this time. That will never be less, he's younger than me and may outlive me, but in ten years I'll probably look into selling. I'm not advocating speculating on art, but sometimes...

Old 07-23-2020, 03:45 PM

262 posts, read 164,630 times
So interesting to read everyone's story. I picked up a full set of Ping Golf clubs for $75 at a thrift shop in San Bruno, CA a few years back - no bag, just loose clubs. Thought too good for me, since looked new, never used - so put them up for auction on eBay and they fetched over $1,000. I stuck with my cheapo golf clubs since not a good enough golfer to justify a fancy set. These kind of finds are so fun.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:11 AM

Not the most valuable by far, just the prettiest piece of silver I have found in a while. 800 Silver. $4. 112 grams.
Along with another 195 grams of sterling silver scrap for $8.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:26 AM

Nobody posts in in this thread...

Here is a find from the other day, Lapid Stoneware $4

Old 10-27-2020, 12:04 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
I just got an old, unique woven coverlet at a yard sale for $10. Not sure if they are still being collected. I'll try it on Ebay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques