Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2015, 12:08 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times

Advertisements

I inherited this radio but i cannot find another one nor any info. Supposedly from the 20's. The# on the inside of the back is 314. The radio is in a metal housing that has never been opened. We were told the man that purchased it some how broke the radio the 1st week they owned it and his wife never let him touch it after that. Very nice shape. Has dust bunnies stuck to it in the photo. Where can i find out more info. Have looked on line at many photos but can't find this one. The radio is shown sitting on the top of the cabinet. This was the 5th time it has been out of the cabinet since new.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 12:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Check E-bay you'll find a ton of Silvertone radios for sale most in much better condition than that one which was apparently store in basements or other such place. They do not bring much if you look. As I recall Silvertone was a Sears & Roebuck brand name radio.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:25 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,878,190 times
That cabinet would benefit from a light restoration. Possibly just rubbing it with a light vegetable oil and light grade steel wool to eliminate some of the hazing. Possibly re-amalgamation.

Sounds like the guy you got it from tried to operate the radio without updating the innards. Big no-no. He may of fried the transformer. You will NEED to replace the capacitors. Old capacitors dry out with age. If possible also check the tubes.

Old radio repair isn't too difficult, and can be rewarding. Good luck.

Here is a good resource to answer questions: Antique Radios - The Collector's Resource

Facebook also has some very good Antique Radio resource discussion groups. Helped with my Grundig!

Old 07-13-2015, 03:42 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
That cabinet would benefit from a light restoration. Possibly just rubbing it with a light vegetable oil and light grade steel wool to eliminate some of the hazing. Possibly re-amalgamation.

Sounds like the guy you got it from tried to operate the radio without updating the innards. Big no-no. He may of fried the transformer. You will NEED to replace the capacitors. Old capacitors dry out with age. If possible also check the tubes.

Old radio repair isn't too difficult, and can be rewarding. Good luck.

Here is a good resource to answer questions: Antique Radios - The Collector's Resource

Facebook also has some very good Antique Radio resource discussion groups. Helped with my Grundig!

Thanks

We got it from the wife. The husband that purchased it took the radio out and dropped it or something and she was so mad that she would never let him touch it again.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:03 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,878,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Thanks

We got it from the wife. The husband that purchased it took the radio out and dropped it or something and she was so mad that she would never let him touch it again.
That is likely good news. Much better than burning up the transformer.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:21 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
In the last year I have two people give me their old "high-fi sets" as they call them. One is a Columbia 380 and the other is a Stromberg -Carlson. An antique dealer told me many years ago that waterless hand cleaner worked wonders on old dusty furniture. She said flannel cloth will work or the very lightest steel wool with the hand cleaner will bring back the luster. I checked the MSD and it looks like the hand cleaner has Isoparaffin in it. I'm not a chemist but that sounds like wax and alcohol. If it is gentle enough for skin it might not harm an antique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques