Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:14 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Thanks everyone... I found an online price guide and found that several of them were worth something (one Superman I had is worth $450). I had these put away for so long I even forgot I had them. Was going through my old storage shed when I found them.

I appreciate all your inputs and will probably go the Ebay-route. Put the expensive ones on, and the rest as a bulk thing.

Thanks again!!

Rath
As with all things, it's about condition condition. An Amazing Fantasy 15 for example in Mint condition (9.6) sold for 1.1 Million but you can buy a poor condition (.5) AF15 for 3,000 all day long.

Anyhow, comics are down but not out. You still have a few of us buying, selling, and collecting comics. My advice if you're looking to sell is compare the prices icon eBay and list them accordingly...but pay attention to condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Comic books are on the rebound as far as values/collectibles thanks to the movie/tv industry.

Dont believe me? Check out the game of thrones comic book on ebay.

Check out the walking dead on ebay. 3000 dollars for 1-99, lol

Check out thief of thieves, the next comic book made into tv by the walking dead creator.
Book 1 is still on the shelves and its on ebay for 20+ dollars. I went around this weekend and bought all I could and sold them on ebay last night and kept 1 for myself.

Avenegers movie anyone? People are scooping up any issues with black widow, green arrow, first appearances etc. Its crazy.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:04 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Comic books are on the rebound as far as values/collectibles thanks to the movie/tv industry.

Dont believe me? Check out the game of thrones comic book on ebay.

Check out thief of thieves, the next comic book made into tv by the walking dead creator.
Book 1 is still on the shelves and its on ebay for 20+ dollars. I went around this weekend and bought all I could and sold them on ebay last night and kept 1 for myself.

Avenegers movie anyone? People are scooping up any issues with black widow, green arrow, first appearances etc. Its crazy.
I'm going to hang on to my ToTs books a little longer in hopes of seeing $100-300 :fingers crossed: lol

Old 04-17-2012, 02:10 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
woops, should have held onto your comixpro edition

I think they are in the 3rd or 4th reprint already. Pretty crazy.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:45 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
What exactly happened to the comic book market? Is it because in 1990 the only way to read a back issue was to buy the old, expensive comic. Whereas, today kids can just buy the series in book form [or check them out at the library] or just look at them on the Internet?
I was into SciFi/Fantasy stuff as a teenager (early to mid-90s). Here is my perspective, as one living in a mid-sized suburban area of a larger city. In the early 90s, comics seemed to be big. There were two decent sized chains in Indy, plus a handful of mom/pop type stores. In addition, card collecting seemed to be popular as well.

What I saw happening was this concept of card collecting in terms of comic book type stuff. No longer was it just sports, but a little bit of everything. I've got cards ranging from Denny's Grand Slam breakfast (Loony Toon characters) to the sealed Image Comics cards they sold with numbered stickers. In addition, in the mid-90s, Magic the Gathering started to gain steam. A local mall had weekend tournaments. I started college then, and my disposable income switched from comic books and other collectables to your typical college stuff (I commuted, so there was gas and some food costs, I didn't really party and drink till a few years later).

The thing is, I was collecting not for the stories, but for monetary gain. Yes, I did read some of the story lines, but most of my collecting was for the hope that these things would increase in value in the future and I could sell them for some money. My good friend who I also collected with was of the same mindset. Well, the more people I met the more I found out that it seemed everyone was doing the same thing. Everything was bagged and boxed in the best condition. It wouldn't surprise me if 90%+ of all Spawn #1s sold in comic book stores are sitting all over the country in mint condition.

My guess is that as the economy started to slide, people started to push this stuff out. Even if I were to get just 75% of original costs (which seems reasonable), my guess is that it would amount to a grand or so, which for someone who is unemployed could be much needed cash. This is why when I looked at what a Spawn #1 was going for on e-bay, most were the exact same price I paid back when it first came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
The whole collectible market went South when businesses started CREATING collectibles. Everyone started keepsaking everything so now things in mint condition are a dime a dozen.
Exactly. I remember all sorts of stores selling all sorts of collectable. You got comic cards in bags with comic book pricing guides. I have the five Magic the Gathering books where you cut out the coupon and sent away for collectable cards, even though I've never played that game. I have a film still from X-files I purchased from a comic book store, and another one from Godzilla that was given out at a local movie theater.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:57 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
Wow. That is only 2.5 cents apiece. The cardboard backing and mylar bag is worth that much.
Most comics are not worth the paper they are printed on. They make better firewood in my opinion. Way too many collectors from the 1970's on. If you don't have Golden and Silver age comics, chances are they are pretty worthless. I have a friend that collects them, he has something like 80,000 comics, he's constantly re-bagging, grading, putting them into spread sheets. It's fine if you enjoy it, but from an investment stand point, it doesn't pay off. Especially since you need to re-bag your collection every couple years to keep them from degrading more. This the main reason I stopped collecting coins, unless you have highest rated condition coins they are worth almost nothing, actually less then nothing, since when you buy your paying full market value and when you sell your lucky to get 60% price book value.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:26 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
My H had a huge comic book collection. We hauled them all over the country. They dated from to 40's to today. Boxes and boxes of them. I remember him telling me they were worth money. When he died I was limited to bringing back what would fit into a VW bug so the comic books had to go. I kept 4 first editions and a couple death issues and all the rest went to a local comic store.

They were worth exactly nothing. I would have probably gotten a few cents more than nothing if I had put them on ebay. But there were so many I cringe at the thought. At least I can say I didn't throw them away.

There are much better things to collect than comics. If you want a collection that will appreciate over time, consider baseball cards or coins.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:11 PM

563 posts, read 1,270,029 times
If you got your value estimations from the dealer you gave them to, then 1,000 to 1 he lowballed you and spotted you for a mark just so he could get the collection for dirt cheap. It's like that in the industry.

I loved comic books back in the day, and tried to get back into them recently. I just can't. The artwork is so lousy today, IMO, and the stories are so convoluted and drawn out to encourage constant spending to stay with it, and at $3 or more per issue, I feel they need to do a much better job at giving me my money's worth than what I was looking at.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:05 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I did save the walking dead out. They had just started the tv series and I had a feeling.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:37 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
I just picked these up at 2 garage sales in the same day, actually one house was just a few blocks from the other and usually don't see that many comic books at garage sales here any time. Every one of them was bagged and boarded and most in very nice condition, near mint but a few a little rougher. Anyone have a rough value, I have already checked online guides and looked at a couple that did sell on ebay, the Moebius hard cover has been selling for $30-$50 which would more than cover what I paid for all of them.

SILVER SURFER STAN LEE * MOEBIUS HARD COVER 1ST EDITION
SILVER SURFER 1982 #1
SILVER SURFER 1987-1989 #1,(2)2,3,4,5,6,7,10,11,12,(2)13,14,15,18,30,31
SILVER SURFER --EPIC 1988- #1,2
SABRE TOOTH 1993 #1
STAR TREK 1980 #1
DR.STRANGE 1976 ANNUAL #1
LABYRINTH 1986 #1,2
THE SHADOW 1987 #1,2,3
CYBER FORCE 1993 #8
YOUNGBLOOD 1992 #1
GHOST RIDER 1992 #25
SILVER SABLE #1
DEXTER'S LABORATORY #14
RIMA THE JUNGLE GIRL #1
MARVEL'S GREATEST COMICS #39
PENGUIN TRIUMPHANT
CATWOMAN DEFIANT
MARVEL COLLECTORS' ITEM CLASSICS #11
HOT STUFF #104
SUB-MARINER #33
CHAMBER OF CHILLS #1
THE DOOM PATROL #95
WAR OF THE GODS #1
CONAN THE BARBARIAN #17
ARCHIE'S GIRLS: BETTY AND VERONICA #112
CLASSIC ILLUSTRATED KING SOLOMONS MINES #97, THE EPEROR'S NEW CLOTHES #517
SAVAGE DRAGON #1
METAMORPHO #16
THE POWER OF WARLOCK #8
THE DEEP #1
MUTT AND JEFF #148
SPAWN #10,11,12,13,14,15,16,(2)17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,2 5,26,27,28,29,31,32,36,37,38,39,41,42,43,44,45,46, 47,48,49
SUPERMAN 1993 #22,78,501,687
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques