Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2018, 06:45 PM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
A 6-6 Longhorn team shut down the hottest SEC offense in their bowl game less than one year ago.
Except for bama with its two playoff wins, the overrated SEC compiled a dismal losing bowl record of 3-6 (5-6 with bama) while the Dinky Dozen (Big12) went a respectable 5-3.
The conference’s aggregate OOC scheduling is a joke, filled with loads of FCS & directional patsies - all designed to pad their records & stats.
How soon do they forget?

Having said those well known facts, UGA is a darn good team that will be tough to beat. But if the Horns bring their A game, then it’s a tossup.

Am a native born Georgian, love the mascot UGA, and rooted for them to beat the Tide.
Thanks for your supprt!

Bowl games mean almost nothing to top tier teams, unless they are Final 4 Bowl games. It's a time to let the players have fun and relax, run some fun trick plays, and let the back-ups get some minutes. Potential recruits are in attendance, and that might be the most important element to a Bowl game for a top 10 team.

Take a look at UGA's strength of schedule...6th in the nation. LSU's, Texas A&M and Tennessee also had tougher schedules's than Texas, and Texas had a very tough schedule (ranked 12th), so I'm not taking that away from them. Missouri was 14th.

Games are scheduled years in advance, so it's tough to know how strong the OOC games might wind up being. UGA plays GA Tech every year, and that is a real struggle for UGA most years. This year, I think Tech led the nation in rushing, and to do that in the ACC is tough to do.

I dont know what Texas's recruting classes look like for the next 2 years, but UGA's are at or near the top, so we are hoping for better times ahead.

Texas is legit, I'm not saying they're not, but each team is in a very different place psychologically right now.

I wish the game was tomorow. This is too long of a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 05:02 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Texas has sucked for the entire decade, so it’s tough to tell where the Horns are psychologically. But “we” are getting back on track and should be a serious challenger in a couple of years, provided the coach and his staff can figure out how to quit screwing up. That remains to be seen.
Recruiting seems to be outstanding and player development appears to be improving over the previous coache’s efforts.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:46 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Thanks for your supprt!

Bowl games mean almost nothing to top tier teams, unless they are Final 4 Bowl games. It's a time to let the players have fun and relax, run some fun trick plays, and let the back-ups get some minutes. Potential recruits are in attendance, and that might be the most important element to a Bowl game for a top 10 team.

Take a look at UGA's strength of schedule...6th in the nation. LSU's, Texas A&M and Tennessee also had tougher schedules's than Texas, and Texas had a very tough schedule (ranked 12th), so I'm not taking that away from them. Missouri was 14th.

Games are scheduled years in advance, so it's tough to know how strong the OOC games might wind up being. UGA plays GA Tech every year, and that is a real struggle for UGA most years. This year, I think Tech led the nation in rushing, and to do that in the ACC is tough to do.

I dont know what Texas's recruting classes look like for the next 2 years, but UGA's are at or near the top, so we are hoping for better times ahead.

Texas is legit, I'm not saying they're not, but each team is in a very different place psychologically right now.

I wish the game was tomorow. This is too long of a break.

Get a grip, Bulldog.

Y'all have only been "top-tier" for a few years. Win a few more conference championships and a National title and then come back and see us.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Get a grip, Bulldog.

Y'all have only been "top-tier" for a few years. Win a few more conference championships and a National title and then come back and see us.
True, but even Texas fans on this thread admit their lack of progress in the last 10 years. R U jealous of UGA's recent success? Wouldn't you trade it for the Longhorns results in the last few years? I'm sure you would.

I should also mention that the SEC title went through the eventual #1 team in the Nation (Alabama) for 5 of the last 10 years, and through other SEC national champs (that UGA plays) for 2 of the other last 10 years. So, 7 of the last 10 years, UGA was trying to get past eventual National Championship cailber opponents.

I dont see any Big 12 national champs in the past 10 years, so taking a jab at UGA misses the mark when you compare the competition each has played.

I'm glad Texas is doing well again, and I look for that to continue. The SEC needs more competition from the Big 12 moving forward.

Let's play the game already. The amount of time between the Conference Title games and the fluffy Bowl games is silly.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:30 AM

UGA is still a 13 point favorite. I don't think that changed since my last post here ^^^ almost 3 weeks ago. Play the darned game already.

Recruiting has gone well for both teams thus far with UGA ranking #1 in the nation thus far and Texas #3

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Fo...eTeamRankings/

Old 12-29-2018, 08:43 AM

Uh, that’s the class that was signed early this year.
2019 class is on the table now.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:12 PM

433 posts, read 287,259 times
Texas better hope UGA doesn't get hyped up for the game otherwise, it will get ugly.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
Texas better hope UGA doesn't get hyped up for the game otherwise, it will get ugly.
I'm very worried about a UGA lack of effort. I hope Coach Smart doesn't let that happen because it hurts recruiting.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
UT has no D-line nor much of an O-line. Some good skill players though.
Dawgs will most likely cover.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:44 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Congrats to Texas. I despise you guys but you showed up and did what I knew you were capable of doing and that is kicking Georgia's a$$. I thought you guys were getting better as I watched the last few games of the season and really felt that you were OU's equal in the title game.

Unlike my Sooners, you went in there and didn't blink against Georgia. Your guys jumped on them and whipped them for pretty much the whole game.

I'm curious if our Georgia friend will drop by and tell us about how Georgia "didn't care". It is a pathetic excuse that SEC fans use after spending all month talking about how their teams are so great and are going to kill everybody in the bowl games.

As it turned out it was Big Twelve 3 SEC 1.

Congrats again Horns. See you in Dallas next fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football