Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which five teams are the best?
Alabama 12 85.71%
USC 10 71.43%
LSU 10 71.43%
Oregon 10 71.43%
Oklahoma 4 28.57%
Florida State 2 14.29%
Georgia 1 7.14%
West Virginia 9 64.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 06:41 AM

881 posts, read 2,092,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I actually dont think the ACC wanted WVU.
Officially, no doubt. However, living here in hardcore ACC territory there were plenty of folks (esp. a couple of local DC sports talking heads) talking @ the draw & resultant $$ of close competitions.
Quote:
WVU and ACC were a bad fit for everyone.
Agreed 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 12:04 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
ACC has one under the BCS system. That is the era we are in.

You are comparing teams over decades and I am in the present. I dont dispute that the ACC had some good teams decades ago. Hell pitt was a good team decades ago. However, in the present they all suck. The fact remains that WVU has more BCS titles than every team in the ACC combined, which goes to show you how much the ACC, including FSU, suck.

So yes FSU was once a really good team, but for the past decade not so much. I mean FSU is not terrible. They are one of the better teams in the ACC, but they are only ok.

FSU wasnt even good enough for the Big 12 to take them. Look I think FSU has potential and may oneday recover from the sad state it is in.
Yeah, we are in the BCS era for one more year...I guess as it turns out, the BCS isn't so important after all. It lasted what - 14 years?

First you say FSU sucks, then you say "FSU is not terrible", and lastly you say "FSU has potential and may one day recover from the sad state it is in". Which is it? You prove each time you post that you don't know what you're talking about and you're just bitter.

Somebody really has his panties in a wad about the ACC. It makes you look bad dude...you're not impressing anyone here. There is an obvious difference between speaking in an informed and knowledgable manner and ranting based totally on emotion. I assume you know which one applies to you.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:26 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Yeah, we are in the BCS era for one more year...I guess as it turns out, the BCS isn't so important after all. It lasted what - 14 years?

First you say FSU sucks, then you say "FSU is not terrible", and lastly you say "FSU has potential and may one day recover from the sad state it is in". Which is it? You prove each time you post that you don't know what you're talking about and you're just bitter.

Somebody really has his panties in a wad about the ACC. It makes you look bad dude...you're not impressing anyone here. There is an obvious difference between speaking in an informed and knowledgable manner and ranting based totally on emotion. I assume you know which one applies to you.

Just put him on your ignore list... Works for me!

Old 09-14-2012, 02:03 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post

FSU sucks right now, compared to good schools. They are OK nationally. They have potential to be good again. I stand by all these points as they are true.

The BCS is the current system. Your program has mostly Been a failure in it. So yes your current program is not good. Perhaps FSU will improve in the new system. If your BCS performance is an indicator you are in for rough times.

You are the misinformed one my friend. Stop making statements where you claim to speak for the whole forum. You represent no one but yourself. In fact other posters have agreed with my comments while nobody has agreed with you. So you are obviously not impressing anyone and come off as ignorant in this subject.

Look I know I am telling you the truth you don't want to hear but denial is unhealthy

Old 09-14-2012, 05:46 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,608,852 times
This thread will be awesome if FSU wins the natty this year.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:21 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
Quote:
And lost.

the fact remains we have more BCS trophies in our case than FSU and every ACC team combined.

Like I said you were good pre-BCS and showed potential going into the BCS but your program has been a failure for over a decade. You couldnt even get out of the ACC. So with teams like Connecticut going to the BCS FSU should be able to win a few? Right? Guess you cant even beat joke teams.
Team like Connecticut going in showed how bad WVU was that year and corrupt the BCS is. FSU didn't play UConn either. Oklahoma did. And UConn got smashed. Again, BCS is politics, not the best teams.

Oh and there is only one true BCS Trophy and West Virginia has never earned it.

Quote:
Ill even make you a deal. When your whole conference as has many titles as WVU we can talk. We are talking over a dozen teams here. That is the handicap I will give FSU, since it is not fair to just compare them to WVU.
Yes, it isn't fair to FSU. 2 National Championships. The most dominant college football program in the modern era. The only back-to-back AP #1 team (*since USC vacated that). West Virginia hasn't been considered in the top 5. FSU dominated that every year in the late 80s/90s.

Hold onto your 3 BCS bowl wins, knowing WVU could never achieve what FSU has accomplished; let alone they never could beat FSU.

Quote:
The only reason FSU is ranked right now is because the ACC gets 2 bids and besides VT there isnt really any good teams in it. Clemson is ok, but not that good. With such a cupcake conference and an easy schedule year after year a good team should have several titles, yet you can manage only one.
2 bids... Check your college football knowledge... but the AP rankings have nothing to do with bids. Cupcake conference. Hey Pot. Meet Kettle. That conference WVU has been living in for the past so many years was worst than Mountain West... heck Conference USA. As for the new conference. Big 12. Check Mizzou and Texas A&M introduction to the SEC. Mizzou couldn't beat a suspended Georgia team. Texas A&M lost to a team that almost lost to Bowling Green. Flashback with Colorado to Pac-12... yeah Sac St FTW. The only conferences doing well are the SEC and Pac-12. Every other conference is sucking. Welcome to the Real World.

Quote:
So by all means make excuses but your school and your conference is not taken seriously in football anymore. You get zero respect. FSU's performance for the past decade is a big fat joke.
So that is why Herbstreit pick us for the National Championship... no respect... ... As for West Virginia, I haven't heard anything beyond Smith being on the Heisman Watch. Congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1
Let's be blunt here - the ACC & BE were both desperate for WVU's FB program, as over the past decade it's gained huge media exposure for both the school & the BE.
Most classic line I have ever heard. WVU doesn't have the academics to get into the ACC. Let alone West Virginia isn't a marketable state or team. If the Big East was desperate for them, why they give in and let them leave... Just being blunt.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:29 PM

881 posts, read 2,092,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Factually incorrect. Deal w/the truth.

Quote:
Most classic line I have ever heard. WVU doesn't have the academics to get into the ACC. Let alone West Virginia isn't a marketable state or team. If the Big East was desperate for them, why they give in and let them leave... Just being blunt.

Ahem. Big East sues West Virginia Big East sues West Virginia to enforce 27-month waiting period - ESPN

Old 09-15-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
This thread will be awesome if FSU wins the natty this year.
I wouldnt worry about that.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Team like Connecticut going in showed how bad WVU was that year and corrupt the BCS is. FSU didn't play UConn either. Oklahoma did. And UConn got smashed. Again, BCS is politics, not the best teams.

Yes, it isn't fair to FSU. 2 National Championships. The most dominant college football program in the modern era. The only back-to-back AP #1 team (*since USC vacated that). West Virginia hasn't been considered in the top 5. FSU dominated that every year in the late 80s/90s.

Hold onto your 3 BCS bowl wins, knowing WVU could never achieve what FSU has accomplished; let alone they never could beat FSU.

2 bids... Check your college football knowledge... but the AP rankings have nothing to do with bids. Cupcake conference. Hey Pot. Meet Kettle. That conference WVU has been living in for the past so many years was worst than Mountain West... heck Conference USA. As for the new conference. Big 12. Check Mizzou and Texas A&M introduction to the SEC. Mizzou couldn't beat a suspended Georgia team. Texas A&M lost to a team that almost lost to Bowling Green. Flashback with Colorado to Pac-12... yeah Sac St FTW. The only conferences doing well are the SEC and Pac-12. Every other conference is sucking. Welcome to the Real World.

So that is why Herbstreit pick us for the National Championship... no respect... ... As for West Virginia, I haven't heard anything beyond Smith being on the Heisman Watch. Congrats.

Again, if these teams in the BCS suck so much than FSU should have a more trophies. It just goes to show that they suck more.

Perhaps you feel that way, but if we can take away accomplishment based off opinion there is no trophies ever that FSU earned in any sport. There FSU has nothing. Why? because I said so. That is seriously your argument buddy?

I dont really believe that FSU has earned nothing, but how dare you accuse me of now understanding or caring about sports than resorting to such statements. It shows that you are not to be taken seriously.

So yes we will hold onto our more victories than FSU and the whole ACC combined. At this point it is not even possible for FSU to have as many BCS wins as WVU, but your whole conference may be able to tie WVU.

And yes FSU was good in the 80s and 90s. I agree with that, but I could care less. I would rather have a team that is good in the recent past, present, and in the future than some team that has sucked in the recent past, present, and most likely the future.

The difference between WVU and FSU and the Big E and the ACC is WVU won its BCS bowls against schools from real conferences while FSU and the ACC failed. In fact WVU KILLED the ACC champion in an embarrassing manner last time they played in a BCS bowl. So the Big E, or really WVU, since they could beat their BCS opponents every time. The ACC however, gets 2 bids and loses year after year. Cupcake conference and cupcake ACC losers.

Like I said when your whole crappy conference has as wins as WVU we will talk. The ACC still wont be good, but this fact wont be as embarrassing.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:20 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
Quote:
Again, if these teams in the BCS suck so much than FSU should have a more trophies. It just goes to show that they suck more.
Again, get one of these and we will talk. But WVU is nowhere close to obtaining one. They couldn't do it playing in hands down the worst Big Six conference. What makes you think they can do it against the likes of Oklahoma and the Big 12.

Quote:
And yes FSU was good in the 80s and 90s. I agree with that, but I could care less. I would rather have a team that is good in the recent past, present, and in the future than some team that has sucked in the recent past, present, and most likely the future.
And that is WVU
Final AP rankings for WVU... 2011 #17, 2010 unranked, 2009 #25, 2008 #23
Bowls: 2010 - lost to NC State 23-7
2009 - lost to FSU 33-21
West Virginia record against AP ranked opponents: 40-92-2
When you suck, you got to hold onto those 3 BCS bowl wins. It is the only way you can try and prove they are a good team in recent history (5 years back).

Quote:
In fact WVU KILLED the ACC champion in an embarrassing manner last time they played in a BCS bowl. So the Big E, or really WVU, since they could beat their BCS opponents every time. The ACC however, gets 2 bids and loses year after year. Cupcake conference and cupcake ACC losers.
See above big talker. West Virginia couldn't beat 2 ACC teams on the big stage. Again congrats on beating Clemson one year and losing the previous two years to ACC teams.

Oh and in case you weren't aware... Wake went down like an FCS team. 52-0. Sorry about the blowout. Good luck with your FCS opponent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football