Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 11:05 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,962,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
No one was claiming Oregon's defense was elite except you. In fact, you were all over Oregon defense, claiming how big and bad their DL line was, but in reality you know very little about the defensive philosophy at Oregon. I imagine this comes from not being a Duck, but you are generally way off. Contrary to what you think, Oregon doesn't look for a big DL. They are not built to face big SEC teams- no Pac-12 team is. Oregon is built to face passing QBs. We look for tall and fast DLers. Sure, we have a couple of DTs that are bigger, but overall we look for a DL that will get enough pressure to force QBs into turnovers.
Is it the best defense, maybe not. But it has worked in the Pac-12. In my opinion, Kelly is building an offense that he'll attempt to tear down the old adage, "Defense Wins Championships." We'll see if it works. I personally think our year is next year.

But, if you are as knowledgeable as you seem, you should know that big and fast DTs are very hard to come by. In fact they really seem like the Holy Grail for Oregon. I guess we will see what happens when SC plays ND. I believe that USC has a good offense that would socre on Bama. MAybe not as much as Oregon, but nevertheless, score. If LSU was getting open, Lee would too. As far as KSU, I think the only thing we have to go on is the fact that Arizona, a team Oregon beat 49-0, defeated Okie Lite, 59-38, who then in turn lost to KSU 44-30.
This could possibly be "the" most brilliant comment I've heard. I mean, the way it just all flowed together and then BOOM!!#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 04:01 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
Quote:
K-State ain't LSU and maybe you and a select few Wildcat fans infer that they are.
I have never heard anyone on this board infer that Kansas State is anything but Kansas State. Can you quote someone's post so that we can see who inferred KS State was LSU? Or in what context?

It's like comparing Little Apples and oranges.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:26 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I have never heard anyone on this board infer that Kansas State is anything but Kansas State. Can you quote someone's post so that we can see who inferred KS State was LSU? Or in what context?

It's like comparing Little Apples and oranges.
My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek in response to some random dude who randomly mentions LSU vs. UO into why KSU is better than Oregon. His comment made little sense and I stated maybe he believed that was valid support and maybe there are a few KSU fans somewhere in the world who believed it as well- but no one else does.

Ha, little apples- good one

Last edited by Acuda; 11-04-2012 at 06:27 AM..

Old 11-04-2012, 06:26 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,355,000 times
Snyder is the best coach in the Big 12-2, and possibly in F1 football. He does more with less, the polar opposite of Mack Brown.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:53 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,947 times
Quote:
No one was claiming Oregon's defense was elite except you. In fact, you were all over Oregon defense, claiming how big and bad their DL line was, but in reality you know very little about the defensive philosophy at Oregon. I imagine this comes from not being a Duck, but you are generally way off. Contrary to what you think, Oregon doesn't look for a big DL. They are not built to face big SEC teams- no Pac-12 team is. Oregon is built to face passing QBs. We look for tall and fast DLers. Sure, we have a couple of DTs that are bigger, but overall we look for a DL that will get enough pressure to force QBs into turnovers.
Is it the best defense, maybe not. But it has worked in the Pac-12. In my opinion, Kelly is building an offense that he'll attempt to tear down the old adage, "Defense Wins Championships." We'll see if it works. I personally think our year is next year.

But, if you are as knowledgeable as you seem, you should know that big and fast DTs are very hard to come by. In fact they really seem like the Holy Grail for Oregon. I guess we will see what happens when SC plays ND. I believe that USC has a good offense that would socre on Bama. MAybe not as much as Oregon, but nevertheless, score. If LSU was getting open, the SC wrs would too. As far as KSU, I think the only thing we have to go on is the fact that Arizona, a team Oregon beat 49-0, defeated Okie Lite, 59-38, who then in turn lost to KSU 44-30.
I understand that you have to set your team up like that due to the conference you play in but that's why I don't believe Oregon is a true threat to win the MNC. Offense wins games but defense wins championships. I don't believe you'd drop more than mid-20s on Alabama and even that may be generous. In a match up of a high powered offense and an elite defense I'll take the defense every time.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,897,305 times
Quote:
Woods is not as talented as Lee, but let's talk in a few years about both (but both will be first round- not too shabby). Besides, your prognosticating skills are not good (see your Natty prediction and the SC will crush Oregon)
I didn't say they sucked.... Relax, but only Lee is top 10. and he would be closer to 10 than 1.

And so what I predicted USC to play in the Natty and beat Oregon. Who did you pick? if I remember correctly you didn't even pick your own team (did u even make a pick?)... So spare me the lecture on my picks now. You didn't make the prediction either.

And on my prediction post I had several teams as other contenders because its hard to just pick the 2 teams before the season starts. And I had Bama, Oregon, and UGA in that list. So I would say I'm looking pretty damn good on my picks having 3 out of the top 5 in the BCS this late in the season...

PS... I also called the SEC rematch for the Natty last year half way through the season before they met the first time. So again, my predictions have some merit.

And finally check who is first in the CD college football pickem contest on yahoo. Yea that's right it's me!!! But I don't know anything about college football...

Old 11-04-2012, 07:59 AM

I think its a crying shame that people don't have enough self control around here to at least... I say again... "at least"... bring K - State into your selfish arguements. Come on people show some respect. I don't care if it's rude comments...its football... at least use a few brain cells..just a few. If you can't do that then stay away.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:24 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,897,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
I think its a crying shame that people don't have enough self control around here to at least... I say again... "at least"... bring K - State into your selfish arguements. Come on people show some respect. I don't care if it's rude comments...its football... at least use a few brain cells..just a few. If you can't do that then stay away.
Based on what i read, I think it's safe to say the majority on this board have K-State as the 3rd best team at worst... Some probably have them as 2nd.

So this post is unwarranted.

The debate that gets everyone going back and forth is more About ND not being deserving.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:35 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Based on what i read, I think it's safe to say the majority on this board have K-State as the 3rd best team at worst... Some probably have them as 2nd.

So this post is unwarranted.

The debate that gets everyone going back and forth is more About ND not being deserving.
Personally I have:
1-Alabama
2-KSU
3-ND
4-Oregon.

However I believe the BCS will shake out like this:
Alabama
KSU
Oregon
ND.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure that Alabama is really the best team in the nation but I don't think anyone else deserves that title right now and since 'Bama is the defending champions they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:53 AM

I didn't even watch one play of the K-State game but I have no problem with them ahead of us. Except I think Acuda may have proved were more deserving because of game comparison. Well see. If Klein is out...K-State is out...in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football