Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 02:58 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Big mistake on his part if he goes. Many, better, college coaches have made the jump and it backfired on them. Holtz, Spurrier, and Saban couldn't do it. Not to mention Kelly's gimmicky spread offense would get blown up in the NFL. There's too much speed and size on the defensive side of the ball in the NFL for it to ever work. Kelly's offense is predicated on having the footspeed advantage over every defense he faces but in the NFL that's not a given. The three good defenses over the past two years that Oregon's played, Auburn, LSU, and Stanford, have been able to throw a wrench in their offensive machine.
He wouldn't run that exact offense in the NFL. Schiano & Carroll are making NFL teams look at college coaches again. And Chip Kelly is at the top of that list.

And word is he is listening... That is a sign he is interested.

And unlike most college coaches who have roots in the college towns they coach in because of wife and kids.

He's a bachelor... He'll bolt, sooner than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 03:36 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,458,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
He wouldn't run that exact offense in the NFL. Schiano & Carroll are making NFL teams look at college coaches again. And Chip Kelly is at the top of that list.

And unlike most college coaches who have roots in the college towns they coach in because of wife and kids.

I agree. Chip has always said he uses what he has. Most Ducks believe he will either bolt this year if he finds the perfect fit or will see how this current team plays out- with their peak being the 2013 or 2014 Natty run (since these players are so young and talented). We also believe that Mark Helfrich would be promoted to head coach and Scott Frost would be made OC, thus keeping the system more or less in place. Chip would likely bring Jerry Azzinaro if he was able to.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:26 PM

518 posts, read 406,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
I totally disagree with journalists "remaining objective." And writers were not "rejoicing" in fact most of the week was filled with "here's how the SEC gets back in" and "A 12-1 Alabama could probably jump an undefeated Notre Dame or KSU if it came down to it," and the like.
Yeah, well, sorry to trump this beautifully written diatribe, but contrary to what you say, the reality is that undefeated Notre Dame is ahead of 1-loss Alabama, 1-loss Georgia, and 1-loss Florida. I think your reading list must be a bit selective, because I haven't seen such quotes. Although I'm sure there's the isolated crank blogger who might be doing his best to troll NCAA football fans, that odd person or two hardly speaks for the majority of people who follow college football. The BCS system is flawed, yes, but I think the writers and coaches have more or less produced fair results up to this point, with Florida possibly being the glaring exception at this point -- they should not be ahead of Oregon.

Now, are journalists (and dare I say even coaches) skeptical about whether Notre Dame can actually beat a team like Alabama or Georgia? Sure, I don't doubt that for a moment -- but who can blame them? Once again, there's no other explanation for that fact except to point out that the bias is rooted in the results of recent history. Writers have really no other proof to go on except for what teams have been able to do over the past 3-5 years, and over the past few years, Notre Dame has been quite unimpressive in big games. By contrast, the SEC's elite teams have been dominant in the biggest games. Sure, the Irish have done well this season, and they played two impressive games against Oklahoma and Stanford, which is why they are ranked #1 (can't point that out enough apparently), but while those have been top ten teams the past few seasons, what we're really asking here is whether or not Notre Dame is, in fact, a top five team. The only way to really know is to test them out against the best of the best. People who have watched all of the top teams play over the past few years can be forgiven for underestimating ND and for simultaneously giving the SEC's elite a bit more credit than they deserve. All the other teams have to do is beat them. It'll change then, but not until then.

So, the conclusion here is this: if the Irish go out and control Alabama or Georgia or some other team for 60 minutes on national television, then kudos to them, and their dream season is complete, and I would expect people to rank ND quite highly next season and I would also expect writers to start questioning whether the SEC era is finally over. However, if Notre Dame gets thrashed on national television, well, don't expect people to take them seriously as a national championship contender.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:

Don't forget the most successful college-NFL crossover since Jimmy Johnson....Jim Harbaugh.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
Don't forget the most successful college-NFL crossover since Jimmy Johnson....Jim Harbaugh.
You are right... I forgot Harbaugh.

Speaking of which... Shaw is supposedly high on NFL coaches lists too. it will be interesting to see how things play out the next few years.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:28 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,604,793 times
Quote:
Don't forget the most successful college-NFL crossover since Barry Switzer....jim harbaugh.
fify.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 11-21-2012 at 06:38 PM..

Old 11-21-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
fify.
"We came to win and we gonna do it bay bay!" LOL! Oh yeah, I remember Barry. He was a caretaker coach, and the team fell apart after a few years. Free agency and a salary cap didn't help, but the team had all kinds of dissension and disciplinary issues in his final year or two.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
"We came to win and we gonna do it bay bay!" LOL! Oh yeah, I remember Barry. He was a caretaker coach, and the team fell apart after a few years. Free agency and a salary cap didn't help, but the team had all kinds of dissension and disciplinary issues in his final year or two.
Him and JJ are the only HC's with a SB Ring and a College title. Very exclusive club.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
Him and JJ are the only HC's with a SB Ring and a College title. Very exclusive club.
But do you consider Barry Switzer a great coach? Seriously...

Old 11-21-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
But do you consider Barry Switzer a great coach? Seriously...
Yes. Seriously. One of CFB's greats. You disagree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football