Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Biggest has-been in college football?
Southern Miss 0 0%
Tennessee 14 28.57%
Auburn 9 18.37%
Boston College 3 6.12%
Colorado 23 46.94%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:55 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Georgia Tech used to be good back in the late 80s/early 90s. There used to be a time when the Georgia Tech/Georgia game was an actual rivalry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 06:06 AM

34 posts, read 36,666 times
Tennessee.
I don't see them moving past Bama, LSU, A&M, Scar, Georgia, Auburn or Florida in the next 5 years. They'll be competing with Arkansas and Vandy for winning records. Thats not good enough for a program with the 2nd most wins (794), conference (13) and national championships (6) in the SEC.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Georgia Tech used to be good back in the late 80s/early 90s. There used to be a time when the Georgia Tech/Georgia game was an actual rivalry.
Has been? This year they still haven't fully collapsed. Previous years they were fairly successful. They went bowling and took out USC. As for their rivalry, Georgia looked fairly good the past couple years. A loss by them doesn't really hurt their image outside the state. Remember they aren't a true state school like UGA is.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:11 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times
Notre Dame

Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Notre Dame
Yeah, this was painfully obvious last night. I don't care what the W-L record was. Those guys looked pathetic on the field.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:17 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Has been? This year they still haven't fully collapsed. Previous years they were fairly successful. They went bowling and took out USC. As for their rivalry, Georgia looked fairly good the past couple years. A loss by them doesn't really hurt their image outside the state. Remember they aren't a true state school like UGA is.
Yeah, I would say they are somewhat of a has-been. There was a time when Georgia Tech's program was kinda feared. I can't remember the last time I've heard the words "Georgia Tech" and "contender" together in one sentence. And I can't remember the last big win they've had in a bowl game that actually mattered.

Granted, I don't follow college football as much as most of you, but even as a peripheral observer, I've heard about Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, Boise State, Stanford, Florida State and even Clemson in recent years as being NC contenders. I haven't heard that about GT since about 1991.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 AM

909 posts, read 1,062,496 times
This article votes for Colorado and Tennessee as the programs moving most in the wrong direction...

20 College Football Programs on the Decline

Old 01-18-2013, 10:42 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVofM View Post
This article votes for Colorado and Tennessee as the programs moving most in the wrong direction...

20 College Football Programs on the Decline
First, that is a horribly designed web site with a pathetic Alexa ranking. I could throw up a crappy site right now featuring my opinions, but that wouldn't make it an authority.

More importantly, that "article" was written while Tennessee's head coaching job was still in limbo and that seemed to be the bulk of the author's argument for Tennesseee being in decline. The only place Butch Jones is mentioned is about him turning down the CU job, and the author implies he would have been a great land for them. Not a real relevant article six weeks later.

Tennessee has the most advanced training facilities in the country; a 103,000 seat stadium (third largest in the nation); is rich with tradition; has a massive, rabid fan base that travels exceptionally well; puts a TON of players into the NFL; and now has landed a coach that recruits love and who has been a winner everywhere he's been. How many programs out there have all that going for them? Tennessee is certainly in a rut now just like all programs are from time to time (i.e. Alabama 1996-2006), but they will be back sooner rather than later.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
First, that is a horribly designed web site with a pathetic Alexa ranking. I could throw up a crappy site right now featuring my opinions, but that wouldn't make it an authority.

More importantly, that "article" was written while Tennessee's head coaching job was still in limbo and that seemed to be the bulk of the author's argument for Tennesseee being in decline. The only place Butch Jones is mentioned is about him turning down the CU job, and the author implies he would have been a great land for them. Not a real relevant article six weeks later.

Tennessee has the most advanced training facilities in the country; a 103,000 seat stadium (third largest in the nation); is rich with tradition; has a massive, rabid fan base that travels exceptionally well; puts a TON of players into the NFL; and now has landed a coach that recruits love and who has been a winner everywhere he's been. How many programs out there have all that going for them? Tennessee is certainly in a rut now just like all programs are from time to time (i.e. Alabama 1996-2006), but they will be back sooner rather than later.
UT has been awful for a decade now. Your rabid fanbase doesn't sell out anymore and you have no in-state football talent. You have been turned down by so many coaches over the last two searches. As a program USC has passed you by and UF and UGA are way ahead. At best you are looking at fourth best in the East on average in the future.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
I'd have to go with Notre Dame here. Haven't won a title since 1988. Have not won a legitimate bowl game since 1994. 0-4 in their BCS appearances and have been outscored by at least 14 points in each game, 3 of which were blowout loses. 2-11 in bowl games since their 1994 Cotton Bowl win. 3 10 win seasons in the last 19 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football