Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:43 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Aloha,

Im so tired of Oregon haters. The excuse is always Oregon never plays anyone, well if you haven't noticed, before the end of this week the PAC-12 is second for top 25 teams in the nation. If your hoping Stanford will knock off Oregon? Im sorry Stanford couldn't even beat Utah. You have to be crazy not to have Oregon ranked #2, What team in the country can easily rack up 50 points a game or 600 yards offense every week? Even against a top 10 defense like Washington. Oregon could of easily scored another touchdown in that game, but like most games let off the gas.

I think what even makes Oregon so scary is there speed but also most of there key positions are 1,2,3 yr players. Very young team, to be this good, watchout next few years when they get more experience. Enough said.

Have another plate of crow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 02:20 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Completely agree with this. Oregon's spread high water mark was back in 2007 with Dennis Dixon and Jonathan Stewart. They would have rolled in the Natty because the spread was so new in college. The years that followed saw the Ducks get better and faster players. In 2010 they had another opportunity, but fell short. So they got faster players sticking with the belief that even more speed will defeat power. Problem was that big defenses were adapting and were now used to the spread and the speed. Oregon hasn't adapted all that much. We could install a jumbo package that would throw another wrinkle into things- we haven't. We could put all our speedsters in at once and try to overwhelm defenses- we don't. We have slowed things down this year so there isn't a speed advantage like when we had Chip. Chip would run the same play 3 times just as long as it was hiked before the 14 second mark. Over and over until defenses were gasses. Shoot, look at our losses. Whenwe slowed things down we struggled. Versus Auburn, we started to move the ball with ease int eh second when we sped things up, but for no reason we slowed things down and started to look to the sideline. This year, we run plays at a snails pace. Maybe Frost is still learning to call plays at Oregon game pace. However, it all goes back to the trenches and we just do not have the big uglies some teams have. We just don't. We need to get them and really should have 3 years ago. It is time to adapt. We will be back next year but face similar problems.
I was particularly impressed by how Stanford took away the middle running lanes. They didn't take them away completely - the RBs were able to squeak through some holes. But they shut down Mariota's ability to make them pay with his ability to get big runs up the middle. I knew Stanford would probably slow Mariota, but I was surprised by how well they read the plays. It's almost like they had Bill Belichick videotaping the Ducks practices or something. More likely, though, it's a case of a veteran defense that has seen this team before and knows what they're capable of. Oregon's still a damn fine football team. I think they'd still hang 40 or 50 on most squads with the exception of maybe Alabama or Florida State. But kinda like FSU did to ole Miami in the old days, Stanford's got their number. I feel sorry for the team that has to play Oregon during bowl week.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:41 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I was particularly impressed by how Stanford took away the middle running lanes. They didn't take them away completely - the RBs were able to squeak through some holes. But they shut down Mariota's ability to make them pay with his ability to get big runs up the middle. I knew Stanford would probably slow Mariota, but I was surprised by how well they read the plays. It's almost like they had Bill Belichick videotaping the Ducks practices or something. More likely, though, it's a case of a veteran defense that has seen this team before and knows what they're capable of. Oregon's still a damn fine football team. I think they'd still hang 40 or 50 on most squads with the exception of maybe Alabama or Florida State. But kinda like FSU did to ole Miami in the old days, Stanford's got their number. I feel sorry for the team that has to play Oregon during bowl week.
Stanford caved in our line decisively. However, Mariota has had a slight MCL and we had heard rumors for a bit. He never tried the zone read and really only tucked it once or twice. It was like watching Darron Thomas back there- no threat of running. We were outplayed, out coached, out motivated for the second straight year.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Have another plate of crow.
Looks like he is in for an other long season to come.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:36 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Looks like he is in for an other long season to come.
Who is? The Oregon Duck fan? Oregon has been to 4 straight BCS games and have won the Rose and Fiesta Bowl back to back. I highly doubt it will be a long year for a Duck fan. Most fans who have been watching before the BCS still consider a top bowl game a rare feat. Hell, little ol' Oregon has won more big bowls than many teams lately.

Do people actually watch football nowadays? Too many ******* morons here.

Last edited by Acuda; 11-08-2013 at 08:48 PM..

Old 11-08-2013, 09:27 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
Stanford... thank you

Stanford ran the same play every 3rd down yet Oregon still couldn't stop it.

Oregon's main problem = the offense does not work against good defenses. Plain and simple.

I ask... did Oregon even field an offensive line? All I saw was 4 Stanford defensive players in the backfield on nearly every down. Luckily for Oregon's sake, a bunch of them are gone next year.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:02 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
This had to be the worst game Oregon has played in years, Standford had their number and took it to them. Stanford is use to playing smash mouth football and Oregon couldn't handle the relentless onslaught of Stanfords defense. If Oregon had to play Alabama the outcome would be the same.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:50 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Good match-up tonight. In the latest Harrier Pole, #22 ranked Oregone Mighty Ducks vs the just outside the pole #27 ranked Standfurd Cardinals. Whoever wins this game might just creep into the top 20 in the Harrier Pole.

Who do you have winning the game?

I think Oregone pulls away late.

**yes, things are misspelled intentionally**
Going into the Stanford-Oregon game, Harrier had the Ducks at #7 and the Cardinal at #15.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hard to say. Hunch says Oregon by a whisker. Maybe if they win, they'll slide past #20 ranked Middle Tennessee State in the Harrier Poll. Maybe even Rice at #18.
Neither Rice or Middle Tennessee State were ranked in Harrier's poll going into last weeks action.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
How the hell could Stanford lose to a very ordinary Utah squad four weeks ago and then beat one of the best teams in the nation last night?
Because the Ducks are overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football