Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 05:41 PM

186 posts, read 238,822 times

Advertisements

Can someone please explain, turn on the light bulb for me, as to why Americans love their college football?

I feel on the dumb side asking this lol. I understand if you have son, sibling, cousin, basically a relative or friend on a college team you want to support them and the team. But it seems like its just an American thing. I haven't heard of other countries putting so much emphasize on college athletes. I mean they are students too. I'm sure some of the students play sports due to scholarships and their ultimate goal might not even be sports related. I tried getting into this or even college basketball, since I do love basketball but I can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 07:15 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Most other countries are based on club systems and a professional system as opposed to a college system of sports. High level college athletics is purely an American phenomenon.

The pageantry and traditions of college football are unrivaled and unparalleled in sports. You would have to attend some of the big time college football games to get an understanding of what it's all about.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:11 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
There's a lot to it...

Coaching stategy, watching the coach try to get a team of flawed young guys to play as one, watching young guys make mistakes and/or mature athletically/mentally, the game inside the game that is recruiting and its results, tradition, the results of hardwork, heartbreak, passion, RIVAlRIES, tailgating, smack talk, bands, cheerleaders, crazy fans, etc.

There is also the idea that 90% of the players are giving everything they've got for the love of the game (just as most of us did as kids)...most aren't blessed with God given abilities that will put them in the NBA or NFL. That "One Shining Moment" song played after the basketball final four still brings a tear to the ol' eyes.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:49 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
college football brings out the best in athletes. remember that these guys are for the most part looking to get to the NFL where they hope to make a big paycheck every game.

and then there are the rivalries that develop between colleges, that make NFL rivalries seem insignificant. why? because at the college level, you dont find athletes moving from college to college because they cant come to a deal on their contract, so a top athlete stays at the same place for four years(assuming he follows the traditional route), as opposed to signing a one year deal, then moving onto another team.

and in my opinion there are no rivalries in the NFL like there are in college, usc/ucla, arizona/asu, or the crown jewel army/navy. about the only game that people across the nation look forward to in the NFL is the super bowl, and often times that is anticlimactic. in college however, there are a lot of rivalry games that are ratings grabbers, so much so that the NCAA has helped the colleges schedule a couple of "rivalry" weeks.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:03 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Crown jewel....Duke vs UNC...enough said. Separated by about 5 miles and possibly the biggest rivalry in North America.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:03 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
I guess it's difficult trying to explain American sports to non-Americans, but all of the above answers are excellent attempts!

Old 11-10-2014, 07:17 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Crown jewel....Duke vs UNC...enough said. Separated by about 5 miles and possibly the biggest rivalry in North America.
in basketball maybe, but in football, nothing is bigger than the army/navy game. even usc/ucla doesnt compare.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:23 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in basketball maybe, but in football, nothing is bigger than the army/navy game. even usc/ucla doesnt compare.
Lol, you must not be familiar with the Red River Shootout or the Iron Bowl if USC-UCLA is the best challenger to Army-Navy you can come up with.

I understand and respect the tradition behind the two service academies, but how many people do you know that are actually interested in the game itself?

I'd say Texas-OU takes it. Stadium is almost equal mileage between the schools, cotton bowl split in half, the fair. Nothing like it.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:42 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Lol, you must not be familiar with the Red River Shootout or the Iron Bowl if USC-UCLA is the best challenger to Army-Navy you can come up with.

I understand and respect the tradition behind the two service academies, but how many people do you know that are actually interested in the game itself?

I'd say Texas-OU takes it. Stadium is almost equal mileage between the schools, cotton bowl split in half, the fair. Nothing like it.
I'd agree with this based on the things you mentioned as well as the friday night before the game and Saturday after the game. The drive to the game for both fan bases, and for Oklahoma fans, the first 60 or so miles of the drive after the game can be pretty eventful.

I'd say that as a full weekend event, nothing even comes close to that game, and most people who are not associated with the game who finally attend come away agreeing.

But as grand as that weekend is, it doesn't allow for the time honored traditions and trappings of a home game at a big time school.

So much of a home game is being on campus again for the hometown fans and for the visiting fans getting to visit the campus and see the traditions.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:35 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
In college football or basketball these players play for the love of the game, none of them are paid players. They give it their all every game day in hopes of being discovered by a pro team, and only about 5% of them will make into the pros. This is football at its best, for myself, I would rather watch college football over pro football any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football