Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:43 PM

30 posts, read 150,388 times

Advertisements

I'm frustrated with the BCS once again this season. I'm a USC fan and whether they are undefeated, have one loss or two. The one thing even the people who hate the west coast can't deny is the fact that USC is very hard to beat in January. This year we have one of the best defenses ever put together in college football. Along with Alabama's defense I would like to see a battle of two good teams with bonofide defense...

But here we go again, Oklahoma will get pounded by who ever wins the SEC championship in my opinion, and USC will pound on Penn State.. Why does Ohio State and Oklahoma always get the red carpet rolled out when they have one loss??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 03:48 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
Oklahoma lost to a team that will finish in the top 5. USC lost to a team that barely squeaked in to the top 25. If Missouri upsets Oklahoma, Texas still gets the shaft and USC is in. Texas is getting much more of a raw deal than USC.

An 8 team playoff would solve the majority of complaints.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:49 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
USC is a victim of SOS. the pac 10 had a down year, and the computers dictate the rest. I don't think that you can make the argument that USC is one of the two best teams this year. the SEC and big 12 have another game against a ranked opponent to increase their SOS. USC playing UCLA won't increase anything. I wouldn't be too sure that USC will pound on penn state. it's not illinois. granted, it's on the west coast, but penn state destroyed the team that beat USC.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:50 PM

USC is not in if oklahoma loses. either texas or a 1 loss alabama team is in before USC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Oklahoma lost to a team that will finish in the top 5. USC lost to a team that barely squeaked in to the top 25. If Missouri upsets Oklahoma, Texas still gets the shaft and USC is in. Texas is getting much more of a raw deal than USC.

An 8 team playoff would solve the majority of complaints.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:51 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Yeah, Texas may get stuck with boring 2 loss Ohio State (ho hum) for the bowl game.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:55 PM

didn't ohio play in austin in 06? who won that game? texas should be looking for revenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, Texas may get stuck with boring 2 loss Ohio State (ho hum) for the bowl game.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:57 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
Bottom line: BCS sucks! It should be incorporated into a playoff system which takes the top 16 teams according to the BCS rankings and have them play on the field. Start out with 8 games and go from there. The first 8 games could have the same "Bowl game" type format except the winner of those "Bowl" games would advance into the next round. That's all I got!

Old 12-01-2008, 05:17 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times
USC does have a chance of making the BCS game....

If Oklahoma loses to Missouri and Florida loses to Alabama.

Slot 1: Bama
Slot 2: USC or Texas

However, the voters and computers may put in USC instead of Texas since USC will have won the Pac-10 and Texas would not have won the Big 12.

While the chance is slim, USC does have a shot. You may thank the Oregon Ducks for that.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:28 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Whether BCS sucks or not, USC can't claim to be better than Texas or Oklahoma now.

Alabama is undefeated at this point and to the victors go the spoils. They control their own destiny at this point, right? But in any case, I think that Florida and Alabama's strength of schedule is as suspect as USCs.

I think of the Top 5, Texas' schedule is the toughest and I'd say they have the most legit claim to being in the #2 spot. If the Sooners blast the Missouri Tigers, then what? I'd say they could make a claim to be in the 2 spot. But Texas is out, right? I see Oklahoma playing Missouri on the 5th, although Texas is ranked #3 and ahead of Oklahoma... AND USC! Explain that to me! Last time USC had a sniff of the National Championship, they lost to Texas, right?

If Florida beats Bama, then what? Oklahoma loses only to Texas in a competitive game. Between Oklahoma and Texas, only one gets in. In the SEC, it's Florida or Alabama. If Alabama beats Florida, then everybody says, "Great! The BCS works the way it's supposed to." But it's a shame to see #3 Texas and #4 Oklahoma only send one. Then again, Missouri could beat Oklahoma, then SC gets their chance, right?

In fact, this is what will probably happen! Oklahoma usually has one good choke game a year. Last year, it was to the Buffs. This year, the Tigers got a little revenge on their minds! That being the Case, Texas deserves the 2 spot, but it'll probably go to SC, LA's Pro Team.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:32 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
USC is not in if oklahoma loses. either texas or a 1 loss alabama team is in before USC.
I just don't see that happening. Florida/Alabama winner is slot 1. Whoever loses that game is out of the picture, nobody wants to see a rematch, well, most people wouldn't want to. Texas could possibly get in, but so far, teams who failed to win their conference have not been chosen to play in the NC. USC will be the most likely choice IMO, but with the BCS, nothing is for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football