Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 11:56 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Bascially its up to Bpoise state to get ain a deent conference and get a schedule.Juast going undeafed does mean anything like any other sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Well they could pay to play....put their money where their mouth is. The Florida's and Alabama's of the world have a never ending list of MAC or WAC-like unknowns that salivate at the opportunity to come to the Swamp and get a big payday for a beatdown...why should Boise St. go to the front of the line?

Now if Boise St. scraped together $12 or $15 miliion and offered themselves and the money for a visit to the swamp, they might get some action. Seems to me Boise St. has a few good seasons and all of the sudden they're demanding the recognition of a FL or Nebraska, or Ohio St.
FLorida's program had to work hard for a lot of years to get where it is today. I'd say 20 or 30 years ago an undefeated FL would have been bypassed for a title shot by a 1 loss Miami vs. 1 loss Nebraska matchup.
Did you guys read the article? The point is that the BCS conference teams don't want to play a school like Boise State. There is no upside for them. Lots of schools want to play Florida, Alabama, et. al., for the payday. But Boise State wants to play them for the prestige as well to prove they have a legitimate program. It's a no win situation for Boise State. If they play an opponent like Oregon or Oklahoma and beat them (or even just play them tough) then the BCS schools are even less likely to want to play them in the future under the current BCS system that really doesn't necessitate the BCS teams to play anyone tough outside of their conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
A mid-major like Boise State will find it hard to scrap together 12-15 mil for a game, they're finding it hard to get a home and away series, most teams are just wanting to schedule at their home ground. They have got Virginia Tech next year but that about it. By far they always have the worst schedule in the WAC.

The best thing they could do is combine the top of the WAC & MWC ie: Utah,BYU,TCU,Boise State,Nevada,Fresno State maybe even chuck a team like Tulsa who been pretty consistant throughout the years. Make that a BCS conference.
I agree. The next best thing is for schools like TCU, BYU, and Utah to schedule teams like Boise State and Cincinnati so that it helps their strength of schedule. It also provides some point of comparison if any of those schools can play a BCS opponent and then play each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 02:43 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
If they really want to raise eyebrows, they should REFUSE to play in any bowl other that BCS bowls. The whole thing is a freaking scam.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:08 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
Did you guys read the article? The point is that the BCS conference teams don't want to play a school like Boise State. There is no upside for them. Lots of schools want to play Florida, Alabama, et. al., for the payday. But Boise State wants to play them for the prestige as well to prove they have a legitimate program. It's a no win situation for Boise State. If they play an opponent like Oregon or Oklahoma and beat them (or even just play them tough) then the BCS schools are even less likely to want to play them in the future under the current BCS system that really doesn't necessitate the BCS teams to play anyone tough outside of their conference.

I agree. The next best thing is for schools like TCU, BYU, and Utah to schedule teams like Boise State and Cincinnati so that it helps their strength of schedule. It also provides some point of comparison if any of those schools can play a BCS opponent and then play each other.
I've noticed a couple of people including Cincinnati in this discussion...the Bearcats are in a BCS conference and really don't seem to have the same trouble scheduling ooc opponents.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:25 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Bascially its up to Bpoise state to get ain a deent conference and get a schedule.Juast going undeafed does mean anything like any other sport.
Huh? I can decipher it, but it is rough.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:29 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I think it's possible that Boise State could move to a BCS conference in the near future, but other things usually have to fall into place for that to happen. Maybe they could join Conference USA, which is slightly more respected?
One thing is definite, Boise State will never, ever be in the Pac-10. The academics at BSU are far, far lower than any PAC-10 school. If the PAC-10 expands, I can see them going after BYU and Colorado because those are solid schools, or maybe Utah (not so sure how their academics are).

Old 11-08-2009, 05:51 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
One thing is definite, Boise State will never, ever be in the Pac-10. The academics at BSU are far, far lower than any PAC-10 school. If the PAC-10 expands, I can see them going after BYU and Colorado because those are solid schools, or maybe Utah (not so sure how their academics are).
Excuse me for the ignorance as I am merely a knuckle-dragger from the SEC, but since when did an athletics conference really put that much emphasis on academics?

Old 11-08-2009, 06:00 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
I would be ecstatic if Rutgers scheduled them

Old 11-08-2009, 09:04 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
I am surprised that Boise hasn't changed conferences. It only took Louisville two good years to jump out of C-USA to the Big East. I would love to see Boise get into the PAC 10 or Big 12

Eh?

Boise has to be extended an invite first.

I'm sure Houston would look better in a conference like the Big 12, but that means all the other football schools want to lose a near automatic win first by kicking out Baylor, Texas Tech, Iowa State or Oklahoma State (:P).

I guess Longhornfan was ready to go to war for their favorite school earlier this week when this came up on local radio stations...okay, what does UT and the like get out off scheduling Rice or Central Florida? UT got taken to the wire by UCF in Orlando last year (or was it 2007?). What did they gain from that other than ridicule?

If someone like UT wants to cry about getting left out of the big game, it'll have that OOC schedule of Wyoming, UCF, and the other garbage to blame for that.

I guess one other issue is that a lower level school can go to Florida and get $900,000 to save its program (Charleston Southern got $450k I believe...) in exchange for being cannon fodder. I guess you cna limit those payouts, but you've done the snobs of the NCAA a favor and wiped out someone's shot at playing ball because athletics had to be dropped.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:30 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
The SEC would send the Broncos to the glue factory and I am talking bottom tier teams.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:00 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
The SEC would send the Broncos to the glue factory and I am talking bottom tier teams.
LOL yeah right, the SEC isn't that strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football