Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:20 PM

150 posts, read 127,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Even more so than Pro football? I can understand that outside big markets, but would be surprised if people in Dallas cared more about the Longhorns than the Cowboys.

As for tough schedules, yea I will say that Florida easily has a harder schedule than most teams cause the SEC is in a hotbed of talent area.

(slightly off topic) Still I am a little wary of excessive conference boostering, it seems to diminish the accomplishments of individual teams. Like former Big East power/independent Miami or ACC's Clemson run in the 80s, also long time independent Penn State or Pac 10's Washington's run.

Case in point over on a Gamecock board, a gamecock fan was railing into a Tiger fan on being the ACC basketball conference or whatever and going along with SEC boostering. (This of course was after the upset from last Saturday).

That puzzles me as Carolina (even though I like em) has yet to really matter on a national scale despite improvement, and for a long time was an afterthought in southern football. Not befitting of a team of the mighty SEC conference.

To put it simply and back on point, I think TCU could give some good Big XII teams runs for their money. As I think Cincy could do in the Big 10. Why, cause TCU seems to have put a lot of love money and attention into their program and has got the right people (being in Texas helps). Could they LEGITMATELY compete for national title given the situation? I say No, but they could compete (maybe).

Simply put, much more the team and less the conference.

(Note I know no one was doing excessive conference boostering, I just wanted to get that out of the way cause I hear it WAAYYY too often).
The only places where this is not true is the big areas..... Dallas, Houston, Tampa, Atlanta and Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 09:20 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,641 times
I can get with that, it has been really ugly for the Big XII. Texas outshines all easily and the North is bad this year.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I can get with that, it has been really ugly for the Big XII. Texas outshines all easily and the North is bad this year.
Move to the rural south.

Try Columbia South or Gainesville Fl. Then tell me how you like it. LOL.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:43 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Even more so than Pro football? I can understand that outside big markets, but would be surprised if people in Dallas cared more about the Longhorns than the Cowboys.

To put it simply and back on point, I think TCU could give some good Big XII teams runs for their money. As I think Cincy could do in the Big 10. Why, cause TCU seems to have put a lot of love money and attention into their program and has got the right people (being in Texas helps). Could they LEGITMATELY compete for national title given the situation? I say No, but they could compete (maybe).

(Note I know no one was doing excessive conference boostering, I just wanted to get that out of the way cause I hear it WAAYYY too often).
For one thing, TCU belongs to FORT WORTH, not Dallas. Dallas has their own mediocre college football team, and an undefeated football team is one of the few things Fort Worth has that Dallas DOESN'T have (and yes, I'm including the Cowboys in this) so let's get that straight, first of all.

Second, TCU SHOULD be in the Big XII. But because of a certain governer and her boostering of her alma mater, TCU got the short end of that stick.

And last but certainly not least, THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT FOLKS!
No matter how good TCU could be, no matter what they could do in the National Championship game, this is what's going to keep happening. We won't get any Florida vs. TCU or Texas vs. Boise St. or Alabama vs. Utah..... and yeah I know, the last one did happen, but it may never happen for the biggest game of the year.

The BCS robs everyone of seeing a true Cinderella story finnish out. Instead, we get these popularity contests of "what might be a good game". And on top of all that, we keep getting these arguments and smug, "king of the mountain" comments from the "Big Time Schools" every single year. And they love that and say these things with extreme confidence because they know that the mid majors won't get any real shot at #1, so they don't have to fear the possibility of getting embarassed by the little guys..... ADMIT IT!

Old 11-30-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
For one thing, TCU belongs to FORT WORTH, not Dallas. Dallas has their own mediocre college football team, and an undefeated football team is one of the few things Fort Worth has that Dallas DOESN'T have (and yes, I'm including the Cowboys in this) so let's get that straight, first of all.

Second, TCU SHOULD be in the Big XII. But because of a certain governer and her boostering of her alma mater, TCU got the short end of that stick.

And last but certainly not least, THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT FOLKS!
No matter how good TCU could be, no matter what they could do in the National Championship game, this is what's going to keep happening. We won't get any Florida vs. TCU or Texas vs. Boise St. or Alabama vs. Utah..... and yeah I know, the last one did happen, but it may never happen for the biggest game of the year.

The BCS robs everyone of seeing a true Cinderella story finnish out. Instead, we get these popularity contests of "what might be a good game". And on top of all that, we keep getting these arguments and smug, "king of the mountain" comments from the "Big Time Schools" every single year. And they love that and say these things with extreme confidence because they know that the mid majors won't get any real shot at #1, so they don't have to fear the possibility of getting embarassed by the little guys..... ADMIT IT!
This is EXACTLY why I have stopped (banned) college football. They do not have playoffs so what is the point?

Let computers randomly pick the best teams and jounalist vote on it. SO STUPID!

I follow college football PLAYERS though, simply because I want to know where players are projected to be picked in the NFL draft.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:54 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
I hope to see TCU get one of the undefeated teams like Alabama,Boise St or Cincinnati, some bowl predictions have them playing Iowa or Georgia Tech, what a crappy matchup.

I want to see the undefeateds play the undefeateds

Old 12-03-2009, 04:51 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I hope to see TCU get one of the undefeated teams like Alabama,Boise St or Cincinnati, some bowl predictions have them playing Iowa or Georgia Tech, what a crappy matchup.

I want to see the undefeateds play the undefeateds
Yep! I don't want to see undefeated teams play clubs with two losses, even one. You go up against someone with a perfect record and win, then ok; otherwise......

Old 12-05-2009, 08:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
TCU nees to play a tougher schedule like so mnay others. it makes alot of difference when you have to do that as far as injurioes and not just hope you can win one big game.But there si a reson TCU was not invited to a big conference when the SW conference was elimianted.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:08 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
TCU nees to play a tougher schedule like so mnay others. it makes alot of difference when you have to do that as far as injurioes and not just hope you can win one big game.But there si a reson TCU was not invited to a big conference when the SW conference was elimianted.
Yeah.... and the main reason was former Gov. (and Baylor alumn) Ann Richards.

The way the BCS is, TCU's schedule this year IS the best they can do. They scheduled two BCS conference schools and played 3 ranked opponents. They've beaten nearly every team they've played by AT LEAST 24 points.

And it ain't TCU's fault that their conference isn't a BCS conference.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
But you have to look at what the BCS really is ;its a business arrengemnt to crate the big money where as before it was puely often a popularity contest. It has chnaged the fate of mnay vig pregrams that played easy schedules and then play another easy bowl game that was set by conferences. BCS isn't perfect but its better than the past.A playoff system would ahve to eman no conference games and making sure more teams play tough enough schedules duing the year to porevent the 12-0 easy schedules FROm be cheRry picked by teams. No one I know thinks that TCU has as hard a time or faces the same challenge that say a SEC team has in going undeated.Texas or alabama would love to have the same schedule and get in the championship game with a TCU schedule just for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football