Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:08 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Texas would go indie before they would join the Big10.

Nebbish would jump at the chance of joining the Big10.

University of Chicago hasn't been a member of the Big10 in over 50 years IIRC. Its a charter member today or something like that, I think its DIII in athletics.

If Notre Dame accepts the invite, end of story. If not, maybe another team will be invited. It won't be Texas. Mizzou or Nebbish would get snatched out of the Big12 before Texas would.
Texas may or may not join the Big Ten. It's easily the best option they have.

University of Chicago is a full member of the Big Ten. They just don't participate in sports. They have all the rights and privileges of any other member.

No way the Big Ten takes Missouri. They add nothing to the conference.

I figure the Big Ten wants these schools. In this order:
Texas
Notre Dame
Texas A&M
Rutgers
Nebraska
Miami
Georgia Tech
Pittsburgh

I don't think anyone else is even being considered. Unless they go to 16 and need a "filler" team. Then they could possibly ask Missouri. I think they would get Kansas before Missouri though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 08:31 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,608,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
University of Chicago is a full member of the Big Ten. They just don't participate in sports.
They are only a charter member. Big10 is an NCAA D1 Athletic Conference, hence the reason Chicago is only a charter member.

What conference wouldn't want UT? I'm sure they are the PAC10, Big East, ACC, Conf USA, MWC first choice as well.

There is really no chance, and I'm talking next to zero, that UT goes to the Big10. It's just not gonna happen.

The sports talk radio up there would be a riot to listen to right now if they are floating some of the stuff you are posting. A&M to the Big10!! Allsome!!1!!

1. Notre Dame
2. Nebbish
3. Pitt
4. desperation options

Old 06-02-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
They are only a charter member. Big10 is an NCAA D1 Athletic Conference, hence the reason Chicago is only a charter member.

What conference wouldn't want UT? I'm sure they are the PAC10, Big East, ACC, Conf USA, MWC first choice as well.

There is really no chance, and I'm talking next to zero, that UT goes to the Big10. It's just not gonna happen.

The sports talk radio up there would be a riot to listen to right now if they are floating some of the stuff you are posting. A&M to the Big10!! Allsome!!1!!

1. Notre Dame
2. Nebbish
3. Pitt
4. desperation options
Whatever dude. University of Chicago is a member of the Big Ten. It's not arguable. It's a fact. The Big Ten is an athletic and academic conference. Chicago is a full member of the academic part.

You might be surprised at the interest Texas is showing in the Big Ten. Any conference would want them. But what advantage do they get from the SEC, PAC-10, ACC. None. They may as well stay where they are before joining any of them.

It's a $200 million difference over ten years if they stay in the Big 12 compared to the Big Ten. And that's just for athletics. They could be looking at hundreds of millions more in research dollars by joining the academic part of the Big Ten.

You sayin' the University of Texas is gonna leave up to a half a billion dollars over 10 years on the table? They don't even have to do anything different. Just join a different conference.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Whatever dude. University of Chicago is a member of the Big Ten. It's not arguable. It's a fact. The Big Ten is an athletic and academic conference. Chicago is a full member of the academic part.
I guess the Big10 just doesn't know that they are a member?
"The Big Ten Conference is a union of 11 world-class academic institutions." We all know the 11 that they are talking about.

According to the Uof Chicago website they are a member of the UAA as far as athletics go.

The only site I see Big10 mentioned with Uof Chi-town is on Wiki.

I guess both websites are wrong and you are correct.

Whatever dude. The Big10 is an athletic conference with fairly strict academic standards.

I can see its going to be fun to bulls hit with you once the season starts.

tOSU should be very stout this year.

Texas will go west before they go north.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:29 AM

141 posts, read 284,939 times
I would not like to see Texas as a member of the Big 10.
I'd like to see in the order of regional connection/academics/athletics for the Big 10 to get
1. Notre Dame
2.Missou
3. Pitt
That's about all I guess, maybe Nebraska

Old 06-03-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I guess the Big10 just doesn't know that they are a member?
"The Big Ten Conference is a union of 11 world-class academic institutions." We all know the 11 that they are talking about.
According to the Uof Chicago website they are a member of the UAA as far as athletics go.
The only site I see Big10 mentioned with Uof Chi-town is on Wiki.
I guess both websites are wrong and you are correct.
Whatever dude. The Big10 is an athletic conference with fairly strict academic standards.
The Big Ten's academic counterpart is the Committee on Institutional Cooperation. It consists of the Big Ten's 11 schools, plus the University of Chicago.

They are part of the academic wing of the Big Ten. It is called the CIC. It's the Big Ten under a different name. And it is a HUGE draw for a school like Texas.

Texas could make millions more per year going north instead of going west. Athletically and academically. I'd say the University would jump at the chance to get into the Big Ten.

Only problem is the state legislature in Texas has to vote on conference affiliations. They may not let Texas move without consideration for A&M (which the BT would take) or Baylor and Tech (which the BT will not take).

And they won't let Texas move if it means Baylor and/or Tech gets stuck in the Mountain West.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Who's your team anyway?

Without sounding like a homer I think tOSU has a shot at the national title this year.

Lots of guys back.

Personally I'd like to get an undefeated Alabama in the NT game and crush them. Nothing against 'Bama, I like them. It would just be fun to beat the defending champs and to beat an SEC team in a bowl game. For a change. LOLs.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:43 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,840,568 times
Latest scuttlebutt: Texas, Texas A&M, Texas t4ech, Oklohoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado are offered a shot at joining Pac 10 to make Pac 16 with Pac 8 and other team in southwest. Sounds better than big ten.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Texas could make millions more per year going north instead of going west. Athletically and academically. I'd say the University would jump at the chance to get into the Big Ten.

Only problem is the state legislature in Texas has to vote on conference affiliations. They may not let Texas move without consideration for A&M (which the BT would take) or Baylor and Tech (which the BT will not take).

And they won't let Texas move if it means Baylor and/or Tech gets stuck in the Mountain West.
According to Texas AD they "have a Tech problem" as well. UT doesn't want to be the southern border of the Big10, they don't even like to leave the state of texas to play. This Pac/Big16 seems like a better fit for Texas, they can keep the regional games and only have to travel west once a year in conference. With those TV markets combined I would have no doubt they would get a huge TV deal.

I'll stick to my original opinion that there is a next to zero chance UT ends up in the Big10.

Quote:
Who's your team anyway?

Without sounding like a homer I think tOSU has a shot at the national title this year.

Lots of guys back.

Personally I'd like to get an undefeated Alabama in the NT game and crush them. Nothing against 'Bama, I like them. It would just be fun to beat the defending champs and to beat an SEC team in a bowl game. For a change. LOLs.
Oklahoma Sooners.

tOSU I think could def make a run at the MNC.

'Bama won't be undefeated, their schedule is BRUTAL!!! The SEC sure dropped the ball on that one, thats for sure. No school should have to play 5 conference games when their opponent is coming off a Bye week!! That's just crazy!!

Old 06-04-2010, 02:44 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Texas may or may not join the Big Ten. It's easily the best option they have.

University of Chicago is a full member of the Big Ten. They just don't participate in sports. They have all the rights and privileges of any other member.

No way the Big Ten takes Missouri. They add nothing to the conference.

I figure the Big Ten wants these schools. In this order:
Texas
Notre Dame
Texas A&M
Rutgers
Nebraska
Miami
Georgia Tech
Pittsburgh

I don't think anyone else is even being considered. Unless they go to 16 and need a "filler" team. Then they could possibly ask Missouri. I think they would get Kansas before Missouri though.

We've gone over this. The Big 10 does want Missouri. Missouri has all but admitted that they are being courted by the Big 10. They have had discussions. This is a FACT. You can keep saying the Big 10 does not want Missouri all you want but I am telling you that MU is at the top of the list and a ready to go when they are officially asked to go.

Nebraska and Missouri going to the Big 10 is likely.

I will tell you what Missouri adds - a doormat for the rest of the teams. They also bring the St. Louis television market.

Missouri has no powerhouse program. Missouri has only won 7 Big 12 titles in all sports in the last 15 years. That is by far the least out of all the schools in the conference. Even Baylor has over 30. They dont really compete for national titles in anything.

They bring an athletic program with a decent sized name that can help the other teams tally up wins. That's what they bring. An article was actually written about this. I will see if I can find it.

I really dont know where you get your list from. A&M? Why the hell would the Big 10 take a random school in Texas? It makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football