Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:34 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
I don't know how I would feel about this. My niece is a college student and says over the summer her math teacher was in a detox place for alcohol. I know he is teaching adults but that still doesn't sound right. My niece's boyfriend works nights cleaning the place and told her he was in the rehab place. I don't know if the college knows about this or not???? Would they do anything if the did or is it no ones buisness if he does a good job teaching?
There is nothing about being a college professor that makes a person less susceptible to the other problems to which humans are susceptible. The problems of a college professor are not your business just like the problems of an office worker are not your problem.

What do you propose should happen to him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 08:47 PM

852 posts, read 1,364,973 times
There is no reason for your niece or you to be concerned about this professor. The profs that she needs to be concerned about are the ones who don't show up for class or who show up late, the ones who accept facebook requests from their students, and the ones who sleep with their students. He went to rehab, good for him! At least he's not going out drinking with his students.

As for the boyfriend, shame on him for spreading this kind of gossip. Your niece just needs to do her work, and she'll be fine. In the big world, she will encounter many recovering alcoholics.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:49 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,944,426 times
Quote:
I don't know how I would feel about this. My niece is a college student and says over the summer her math teacher was in a detox place for alcohol. I know he is teaching adults but that still doesn't sound right. My niece's boyfriend works nights cleaning the place and told her he was in the rehab place. I don't know if the college knows about this or not???? Would they do anything if the did or is it no ones buisness if he does a good job teaching?
What would they do? Fire him for getting help? You can't penalize people who are doing what it takes to get better. And I can pretty confidently say the college knows all about it, in fact probably had a hand in getting him in in the first place.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
I say it's no one's business as long as it doesn't interfere with his teaching.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
The school couldn't necessarily fire him quickly even if he didn't do his job well. The Americans with Disabilities Act requires employers to provide employees with unpaid time off for treatment (under specific circumstances). It's a one time shot. If the employee screws up again, the employer is under no obligation to keep the employee; however, it could be more difficult to get rid of a professor if the college has a union. Again, it's all subjective to certain circumstances. I'm just sharing that alcoholism can be complicated for a employers.

Regardless, I agree with everyone who says that it's nobody's business if it doesn't interfer with his teaching. I'd tell the neice to find a new boyfriend.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:29 AM

831 posts, read 1,582,220 times
I have never personaly known an alcoholic that I know of. I guess I just have a picture of a sloppy drunk like you see on TV. I didn't think he would be able to teach, think straight, or talk staight if he is an alcoholic. I admit I know very little about how an alcoholic would be able to hold down a job. I guess I need to educate myself a little more on that. I totally agree that the boyfriend should have kept him big mouth shut. My niece really likes her teacher and said she wasn't going to say anything because she was afraid the teacher would get in trouble. I will also remind her that her boyfriend could be fired if this gets out.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:21 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,944,426 times
Quote:
I have never personaly known an alcoholic that I know of. I guess I just have a picture of a sloppy drunk like you see on TV. I didn't think he would be able to teach, think straight, or talk staight if he is an alcoholic. I admit I know very little about how an alcoholic would be able to hold down a job. I guess I need to educate myself a little more on that. I totally agree that the boyfriend should have kept him big mouth shut. My niece really likes her teacher and said she wasn't going to say anything because she was afraid the teacher would get in trouble. I will also remind her that her boyfriend could be fired if this gets out.

You are absolutely right in saying "that you know of", SuzyQ. I don't want to sound like some kind of hokey pubic service announcement here, or all preachy, but the fact is alcoholics really do come from all walks of life and social and economic backrounds. Chances are you do know someone who has or is struggling with addiction of some sort. I think most people would be shocked at the number of high caliber people who are in recovery.

The sloppy drunk as seen on tv is only one side of the story. People are indeed able to hold down jobs and function in society, some very well. Up to a certain point. Unfortunately there will come a time, if the drinking is not dealt with, where the alcoholic can no longer function physically without alcohol in their system and will suffer horrible and sometimes fatal withdrawal symptoms if they go longer than 12 hours without a drink. It really is not a matter of willpower any longer. That's why alcoholism is so frustrating to the people close to the alcoholic, they keep imploring them to stop but mostly, (not always) on their own, they cannot.

Going to detox is the first step to recovery. It's a place where the alcoholic can safely withdraw from alcohol, usually with medication and under medical supervision, to make sure the withdrawals do not take a fatal turn. Detox is not rehab, btw.

Ok lecture over! I think it is great that you are being open minded and would like to be more educated about this affliction. Your niece really likes this teacher, and it's not a reflection of his moral character that he's going through this.

Your nephew, on the other hand, really does "need to keep his big mouth shut" as you said. Being labeled alcoholic can really damage someone's reputation, and it will really be a disservice to the teacher's recovery to be gossiped about. He's going to have a difficult time for a while as it is. Your niece sounds like a caring and compassionate young lady, good for her.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:23 AM

141 posts, read 429,322 times
One more thing to keep in mind:
Her school may have a code against slander.

Should she even repeat that info to anyone on campus it could end up costing her more than anyone else. She needs to speak with someone in her school's EEOC or Student Affairs office to cover her back because should it come out down the line she had knowledge and could still be punished. A statement in her record could save her academic career.

ADA/504 case law does cover alcoholism and the University may have knowledge (if he's receiving EAP services) but that does not stop either party from suing the other should something go wrong.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
It is amazing that there are still people who know nothing of alcoholism. It really is a disease, not a character flaw. you'd be surprised the number of distinguished, famous and talented people who contribute so much to our world who have managed to do so while being recovering alcoholics.

This disease as well as drug addiction is especially prevalent in the medical world. There is a world class rehab center in Atlanta where there is a waiting list for rehab services. Doctors from all over the world try to get into this center. As you can imagine it is kept very confidential.

Alcholism runs in my family. That is why I don't drink. Why even take a chance. My brother is- change that to was- what is known as a functioning alcoholic. He drank himself into oblivion every weekend but managed to do very well at work until he got cancer of the esophagus and died before he reached his 60th birthday.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:40 AM

852 posts, read 1,364,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnincorporatedResident View Post
One more thing to keep in mind:
Her school may have a code against slander.

Should she even repeat that info to anyone on campus it could end up costing her more than anyone else. She needs to speak with someone in her school's EEOC or Student Affairs office to cover her back because should it come out down the line she had knowledge and could still be punished. A statement in her record could save her academic career.

ADA/504 case law does cover alcoholism and the University may have knowledge (if he's receiving EAP services) but that does not stop either party from suing the other should something go wrong.
This is a good point. Most campuses have speech codes. Mine does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities