Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,617 times

Advertisements

So degrees from many European universities are worthless then? How about my school in the US that made it into the top 75 (i know, rankings are never objective) despite attendance being mandatory only for 1 of my classes?

A degree is worthless if you have bad grades and if you do not study hard. Going to class does not ensure good grades or a good degree.
If someone can study the same stuff at home better - what's the big deal? He can still do good on exams, homework and papers.

College should make the students more independent and teach them how to acquire knowledge by yourself. Taking them by their hands by forcing them to class like high school students is not always favorable, especially not in the sciences. In the real world no one will tell you which chapter to read, which book to buy or where to gather information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 12:00 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,585,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
If you are in college does your professor or teaching assistant take attendence? If so, what is the maximum number of absences in relation to the total number of classes? Do you feel taking attendence is really necessary? Or should a student be able to just read the class materials and show up only when he/she wishes or when there is a test.
It depends. Certain courses have 100 points (700 or 800 total) for attendance. Even one absence will affect the grade, and those points are necessary if the student wants his/her A.

Other courses allow 1 absence, after the 3rd one is automatic F.

For science classes, if the student fails one lab, he/she gets an F for lab and lecture.

The instructors say that they're taking attendance because for financial aid records and to have proof that a certain student didn't care until last week of school so he/she deserves the bad grade. I was surprised to see that a certain amount of students ask for appointments with Deans, etc. to complain that instructors weren't fair or think that they deserve a good grade just for enrolling. Excessive entitlement.

College is not mandatory. If you want to approve, you need to obey the rules. As simple as that. If instructors are kind of severe it's because too many students have tried to take some advantage in the past

Old 08-24-2010, 12:34 PM

207 posts, read 963,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
So degrees from many European universities are worthless then? How about my school in the US that made it into the top 75 (i know, rankings are never objective) despite attendance being mandatory only for 1 of my classes?

A degree is worthless if you have bad grades and if you do not study hard. Going to class does not ensure good grades or a good degree.
If someone can study the same stuff at home better - what's the big deal? He can still do good on exams, homework and papers.

College should make the students more independent and teach them how to acquire knowledge by yourself. Taking them by their hands by forcing them to class like high school students is not always favorable, especially not in the sciences. In the real world no one will tell you which chapter to read, which book to buy or where to gather information.
I didn't say places with mandatory attendance, I said places where you don't need to show up to class - there is a difference. If you're supposed to be learning everything on your own and coming to class isn't necessary, then what are you paying for? You aren't benefitting at all from being in college, you're essentially paying for a piece of paper and doing what you could do on your own in the library. One benefit of college is supposed to be that you have an experienced and educated instructor that conveys ideas and encourages discussion that you can't get just by reading the book. If you are at a school where it's possible to pass the class without needing to show up to class then obviously the quality of education is lacking. Somebody isn't doing their job. It's not "taking their hands and forcing them," it's getting what you pay for. Someone who went to a school where class attendance was required to do well (not forced by the professors) has a much more valuable degree than someone who's class was so easy that they didn't need to show up because they learned more. They engaged with other students, had experience with applying their knowledge and benefitted from the expertise of their professor. So I'll say it again: If you don't need to show up then it isn't a worthwhile education.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:17 PM

76 posts, read 274,805 times
Many factors really. It could depend on how well you think you can absorb the material on your own, how easy or hard the teacher is, and of course your teacher's policies on absences.

I disagree with the notion that because you skip a lot you're lazy or dead set on failing though. Some people do have learning styles that negate the need for extensive lectures to absorb understanding of a topic. Therefore, they may get better results with self study that they might never achieve from lecture.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
When I was in college back with Betsy Ross, et al, you had to attend the nursing clinicals for a certain number of hours. You didn't miss unless you were legitimately sick, and after you missed a certain number, you had to make up the time. I'm pretty sure the science labs had required attendance too. Sometimes in lecture classes, they would cover material not in the book, so it was to one's benefit to attend. Some teachers were more like that than others.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:06 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
At my school, which is a small liberal arts school with around 15-20 people per class, if you miss a certain number of classes you receive a failing grade unless you can prove it was for a doctor's visit.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:15 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
The old college system needs to be wiped out today. Every professor except for those who teach the science labs and medical technology labs need to be wiped out of their jobs. All other professor jobs need to be off-shored immediately. Everything needs to be online. That is the wave of the future. The old college system is extremely antiquated and virtually useless. Professors of the old have done nothing but harass and swindle money from clueless unthinking brainwashed students. If they want students to "learn on their own" then get rid of the bumbling lazy buffoons (i.e., tenured professors) and off-shore their positions to India, Mexico, Canada, Japan, Britain, Australia, etc. We all have adequate enough technology to do this.

Last edited by artsyguy; 08-29-2010 at 09:26 PM..

Old 08-29-2010, 09:19 PM

How terrible and antithetical. So much for "liberal arts." You can't even do things your own way which is the core emphasis of "liberal" and "arts."

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
At my school, which is a small liberal arts school with around 15-20 people per class, if you miss a certain number of classes you receive a failing grade unless you can prove it was for a doctor's visit.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:39 AM

207 posts, read 963,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
How terrible and antithetical. So much for "liberal arts." You can't even do things your own way which is the core emphasis of "liberal" and "arts."
Yea not exactly, but nice try at bashing. Small, prestigious liberal arts institutions want you to actually get an education, which is why they require you to come to class. What a concept! Not being one of 300 in a lecture hall where the professor doesn't know your name and couldn't care less if you attend class or not. Sounds like a great environment to learn.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:52 AM

Not everyone learns the same. People are individuals. And I personally loathe collectivism. You are a college student. Shouldn't you be doing your sociology homework instead of wasting your time on this forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socstudent View Post
Yea not exactly, but nice try at bashing. Small, prestigious liberal arts institutions want you to actually get an education, which is why they require you to come to class. What a concept! Not being one of 300 in a lecture hall where the professor doesn't know your name and couldn't care less if you attend class or not. Sounds like a great environment to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities