Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 02:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

When I took some graduate nursing courses, one of my classmates brought her newborn, in a carrier, to class. The baby rarely cried, and mom nursed her in class. Being we were all grad students and nurses, therefore used to all sorts of distractions, I didn't have a problem with it even though I didn't have kids at the time. I do think it's inappropriate in most undergraduate programs, as many undergrads have no experience with kids and haven't learned how to tune things out. I think bringing a kid who is old enough to read and arming him/her with books is OK in a pinch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 10:46 PM

19 posts, read 62,051 times
Today, a gal brought her infant son to two classes. The kid whined and made noises all class but neither one of the (female) professors said a word to her. I came very close to saying something to the professors in front of everyone, but instead chose to take the high road and say nothing.

I've already emailed both professors about the issue, but neither of them has responded...yet.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:21 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
I took my 6 year old cousin to my spanish class with me once when we had a family emergency and he was too young to be in the hospital. I checked with my teacher and she said it was fine. He colored the whole class and listened to his mp3 player.

Twice when my son was sick and couldn't go to daycare, I took him to class. Both times I checked with the teacher before hand and sat as close to the door as possible. He slept through it both times and as far as I know wasn't a distraction.

I've had classmates (both male & female) bring kids of various ages to class. I've found that the other students oohing and aahing over the child is more of a distraction than the child itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Personally I'm not enrolling until I know I have my daycare arranged. If I don't have childcare on a particular day I'll miss class and make it up. I think it's disrespectful to the other students to expect to be able to bring your kids in with you. You couldn't take them to work.
I've taken mine to work with me on several occasions. Usually it's when the school calls and says "he's sick. Come pick him up." He's never had to stay the whole day though. One of my coworkers is a divorced mother and on holidays when schools are closed her kids are there. For the most part, they're never a distraction and I'm glad I have the kind of job that works with families.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,963 times
The instructor should not be left to determine if the child is disruptive or not. What seems like quite kid babbling to one who is used to it may not be disruptive to one person but could be very distractive to others. It is totally unfair to the rest of the class to bring your kids. I'm sorry if daycare or relationships are an issue and you find yourself stuck that day, the students who are there to learn deserve to be able to have their education free of distractions even if some feel it is not disruptive. The person who said that their child became the class mascot obviously feels pretty good about that but are they sure everyone in the class agrees? Undoubtedly they all do not but feel they need to respect others by not being rude. Return the favor, don't be rude and bring your kid to class!!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:56 PM

83 posts, read 247,153 times
I've taken classes in a CC for almost two years with many non-traditional students and this has never been a problem. Today was the first time I saw someone bring in their kids. They were 2 boys but they were around 10, they sat quietly in the back and I even forgot they were there.

I'd be pretty annoyed too, you did the right thing by emailing the professor. It's already annoying when parents bring their small children to the movies or other public places and the kids behave like brats.. but college? That's too much! You'd think these parents would know better, how inconsiderate.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,508 times
Although I can try and understand from both points of view I will say this....
sometimes no matter how much we prepare life happens! What I have found is that when it does you have to keep moving forward. For the parents who has to bring their kids I commend you for getting it done against the odds; however to those who may have never had to deal with the excess or embarrassment of what that feels like please don't judge. I understand how itcan be distracting but nobody knows the struggle of the other therefore shouldn't speak with judgment.
I remember the very first time I experienced college I was about 10 years old. I went with my cousin and before that experience never even knew what it was or that it was available to me. It was then that I dreamed of one day attending college and wanting to achieve something so great!!!
No matter a person's struggle trust me it's not they just choose to bring their kids cause they had nothing else to do!!!
So all I'm saying is this every persons situation is not painted with all the elements of a beautiful island for some it's a dream that is on the other end of chaos and frustration and confusion, but most importantly no matter what side you stand on please understand you must do your best to reach your goal no matter the odds against you!!!

Old 01-28-2015, 09:11 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I've never heard about anything like this happening. I can't imagine a college teacher would put up with it. I wouldn't and I don't care what your story is. Contact the instructor and make other arrangements if you have to miss class or something. Brining them to school isn't acceptable under most circumstances.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:23 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Zebra View Post
I attend a university where there are several non-traditional students. Frequently, many of the (female) adult students will bring their children to class with them on days when they can't find a babysitter or on days when those children don't have school. Sometimes, it makes a mockery of the classroom when you have infants crying and toddlers trying to get the attention of their mother. I've never had a professor tell us flat out that there are no young children allowed in the classroom, but most of the time, they will get frustrated when the child creates a disturbance during the class period.

Should people be allowed to bring their children to college classes with them? Mind you, my university offers a free on-campus day care center.
Totally inappropriate and a tax on everyone in that classroom.

S.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:37 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Just an FYI this post is from 2011 and the OP is no longer a member of city-data. Know that the OP has certainly moved on...

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-30-2015 at 03:06 PM..

Old 01-29-2015, 10:25 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
If I were a tuition paying student and someone brought in a kid that started screaming, I'd take my $900 textbook and throttle both of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities