Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 08:24 PM

914 posts, read 4,446,322 times

Advertisements

If you actually want to be an administrator, you will be competing against people who have master's degrees in public health administration. Today in health care, a bachelor's degree won't start you out in middle management (unless you get really really lucky) right away; you'll have to work your way up the chain. Most of the administrators I have had working in health care have only had bachelor's degrees, but they are also people that spent 10-20 years getting their administrative job. If you want to start out in an administrative position, you'll want to move on to get your Master's.

Based on what I have seen, the best combo would probably be a business bachelor's/MHA combo. Unless you are going to be a clinician, the people I have seen move through the ranks the fastest with just bachelor's have been people with business degrees; a health admin degree would probably be similar to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 20,907 times
Recently graduated with a BS in Healthcare Administration 3 months ago and still looking for an entry level management position all over the country most job postings in this field want 3 - 5 years of management experience and or a degree in Nursing. Right now I think my money was wasted. Oh and the want a MS in Business Management, Healthcare Management, or Finance and Accounting. Where are the entry level positions.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:08 PM

398 posts, read 698,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHCA2013 View Post
Recently graduated with a BS in Healthcare Administration 3 months ago and still looking for an entry level management position all over the country most job postings in this field want 3 - 5 years of management experience and or a degree in Nursing. Right now I think my money was wasted. Oh and the want a MS in Business Management, Healthcare Management, or Finance and Accounting. Where are the entry level positions.
I see a lot of admin jobs asking for nurses. Apparently the glut of nurses we have has spilled over into admin too now. I decided not to go for healthcare administration at this time. I'm a regular admin and I've had the chance to work at nonprofits and in education, at university, etc. Experience is the key. To get in the door in administration, get a whatever Bachelor degree. To get into healthcare, get a Master's and experience (internship) if you can. Or better yet do a Bachelor's in Nursing!

Old 08-28-2013, 06:38 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,607,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHCA2013 View Post
This is my exact fear with pursing that degree. You will have just a BAchelors going up against people with masters , years of experience and certifications in other subject areas, how does a bachelor degree compete agains that? I'd wage that even if you did find a job that was actually entry level, that only needed the BA, the employer would still hire the master candidate over you. No matter what your plan is get those internships early, entry level isn't really entry level, everyone wants experience

Old 08-30-2013, 12:31 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,738,013 times
My brother in law has a BS in Healthcare Admin with a minor in human resources development and was offered a six figure job upon graduation.

HOWEVER, he has a very unique circumstance. As a medic in the army, he ran his own clinic in Iraq. He couldn't take the position since he went to college through an army program and had to do three more years of service.

Experience trumps degrees, so I suggest volunteering at the free clinics near where your college is in order to get experience.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:44 PM

639 posts, read 1,124,333 times
Healthcare administration is a great degree, but I feel it's more appropriate as a masters. In fact, I've never seen healthcare administration offered at the bachelor level but I guess times are changing. My advice would be to major in public health which gives you good knowledge and opportunities of healthcare and the system in general then focus on administration post-undergrad.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:03 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,597,133 times
I got an associates in business admin and a bachelors in health info. management; landed a great job right out of college and now work for myself.

Make sure you go to a CAHIIM accredited school and get your RHIA credential; with that and even entry level experience you'll never want for work.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:33 AM

578 posts, read 1,295,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Healthcare administration is a great degree, but I feel it's more appropriate as a masters. In fact, I've never seen healthcare administration offered at the bachelor level but I guess times are changing. My advice would be to major in public health which gives you good knowledge and opportunities of healthcare and the system in general then focus on administration post-undergrad.
Public health: I would suggest otherwise unless the OP is bilingual. A lot of public health are non-profits and government positions, which really look to be falling out of favor and instead hire nurses.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:18 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,994,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Debating between biology, healthcare admin, or even general science. What type of jobs can i get with a healthcare admin degree? id rather hear it from you guys mouth than some article on the net. anyone have personal experience with a healthcare degree??
A degree in healthcare administration is worthwhile if you have a professional license in the medical field.

I'm working on mine and work as a Respiratory Therapist. My future goal is to apply to PA school, so the degree is a necessary step to get there.

If you aren't a nurse or a therapist, I suggest you get a degree that will allow you to enter the medical field as a licensed clinician. You seem to be heading that way.....

Old 09-01-2013, 05:23 PM

639 posts, read 1,124,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
Public health: I would suggest otherwise unless the OP is bilingual. A lot of public health are non-profits and government positions, which really look to be falling out of favor and instead hire nurses.
I have an MPH I can tell you that it's not necessary to be bilingual in order to get a job. Nurses are not being hired in place of MPH, there are separate positions and career opportunities for public health nurses. The biggest problem with a public health degree alone is that opportunities are in the mostly in government or non-profit as you said, in which hiring is slow at the moment.

At the bachelors level, public health is a solid degree that gives a great educational foundation on healthcare. It can be used to go into medicine, healthcare administration, health policy, epidemiology, research, etc.

Last edited by ThinkingElsewhere; 09-01-2013 at 05:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities