Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 12:45 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
No, absolutely not.

Your responsibility for your children stops at 18yr of age.
They are adults.

Having 2 kids one who did go to collage and one who did not. You may want to help them get a leg up in life but in no way are you responsible for there collage education.

Why do you feel you owe your adult offspring an education. You don't feel obligated to buy them a home and a car too?

Why do they feel that, they are entitled to a collage education?
Short-sighted, and small-minded.

By the way, it's "college"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 04:29 PM

126 posts, read 335,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
No, absolutely not.

Your responsibility for your children stops at 18yr of age.
They are adults.

Having 2 kids one who did go to collage and one who did not. You may want to help them get a leg up in life but in no way are you responsible for there collage education.

Why do you feel you owe your adult offspring an education. You don't feel obligated to buy them a home and a car too?

Why do they feel that, they are entitled to a collage education?
When you're senile and bedridden, I hope your kids don't think the same way.

"Why do they feel that, they are entitled to old age care?"

"They are adults, they should have been responsible enough to have saved for old age."

Old 11-11-2010, 04:56 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Short-sighted, and small-minded.

By the way, it's "college"...
I went to a tech school.
Self employed, I own 2 business, for over 28 years now,
Thanks.
Your gamer could use some work also. Someday I hope to type & spell as well as you do.
My wife alone makes 89k+ and she didn't go to callage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james011 View Post
When you're senile and bedridden, I hope your kids don't think the same way.

"Why do they feel that, they are entitled to old age care?"

"They are adults, they should have been responsible enough to have saved for old age."
So what your hoping to do is blackmail your children into taking care of you.
(I paid for your collage you should take care of me.)

We took care of them for 18 year or anytime they need a place to live. we took them back in..

As a lot of people of my generation I have a well put together retirement package. Some people use there estates to pay for a nursing home.
I really don't care if it is a state run or private nursing home. If your senile and dolling all over your self it really doesn't matter what color the wall is.

Like the Op, my Q is why do feel obligated to pay for there collage. Who or where did you get brainwashed into this way of thinking? Your really not helping them learn about life if you give them everything.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:21 PM

318 posts, read 870,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaChichi View Post

Do kids these days expect parents to pay for college?
I can only speak for myself, but I definitely didn't expect crap from my parents. Then again, based on my $0 EFC, the federal government didn't, either.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:38 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,407 times
Honestly, you parents that have the money to pay for your kid's college and refuse to are despicable-- you spend 18 years nurturing a child just to give up on them before one of the most important events of their life? Unbelievable.

Now of course, if the kid wants to go to some namby pamby private school for a $50,000 a year, that is another story altogether...

Last edited by h152cc2; 11-11-2010 at 09:47 PM..

Old 11-11-2010, 09:43 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
I would like to know who makes all of these rules about who "should" do what. Why would the government (FAFSA or whatever it is called) have an expectation that parents must pay for their kids' college AND ask for the parents income info . . . that's just crazy to me.

My personal belief is that if a parent can afford it and wants to contribute, that's great. If they can't afford it or if the kid has been a jerk, then all bets are off.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I would like to know who makes all of these rules about who "should" do what. Why would the government (FAFSA or whatever it is called) have an expectation that parents must pay for their kids' college AND ask for the parents income info . . . that's just crazy to me.

My personal belief is that if a parent can afford it and wants to contribute, that's great. If they can't afford it or if the kid has been a jerk, then all bets are off.
I totally agree with the second half of your post. Nevertheless, for your first half, I'll explain...

Their logic is that they need to know how much a student's parents make in order to determine what the parents should be expected to pay. My parents, for example, are expected to pay $0. They don't necessarily "expect" you to pay zilch--whether or not they do depends on how much your income is.

That said, even with my EFC being $0, they don't pay for everything, of course. Technically, they pay about 1/4 of my overall costs. The rest is scholarships and aid from my college.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:48 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamosakid View Post
I totally agree with the second half of your post. Nevertheless, for your first half, I'll explain...

Their logic is that they need to know how much a student's parents make in order to determine what the parents should be expected to pay. My parents, for example, are expected to pay $0. They don't necessarily "expect" you to pay zilch--whether or not they do depends on how much your income is.

That said, even with my EFC being $0, they don't pay for everything, of course. Technically, they pay about 1/4 of my overall costs. The rest is scholarships and aid from my college.

It's the government's "expectation" that the parents "should" pay anything that I object to. What business is it of theirs? If a someone is an "adult" at age 18, why should the parents be expected to do anything. That is illogical. By that same logic, they should be asking about the grandparents income and the neighbors, as well.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:54 PM

Nobody forces a student to fill out the FAFSA, or the application for federal student aid. So no worries; it isn't a requirement, at least, not unless you want aid from the government.

That said, many private universities have their own forms for checking family incomes, so if you've got a top-tier kid, you might wind up having to disclose your info anyway if they go to a private uni. But for public institutions, typically speaking, NOBODY has to know what your family income is so long as you can fork over the cash and/or can get non-federal student loans.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 PM

Also, while parents are "Expected" to pay whatever the student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is, based on the results of their FAFSA, parents don't have to pay squat. EVER. The EFC basically says,

This student's school costs $x
This student's parents make $y
Thus, this student's parents are expected to pay $z
And based on $z, this student qualifies for $a in federal student aid.

There's nothing along the lines of, "student a's parents are now required to pay $x toward their son or daughter's education."

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities