Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:44 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,716 times

Advertisements

As time goes on I realize that the economic landscape of America is changing. Slowly, but surely we are seeing a greater and greater divide between the educated and un-educated. This will eventually transform into a nation of "haves" and "have-nots." Like it or not, the middle class is loosing power and size. I want to go back to school and get my degree. The past few years I've become intrigued by how people think and interact so physchology interests me. Here are my dilemmas; I've never been much of a classroom leaner, I've always learned by actually doing not by listening to a teacher or reading out of a book, I work long hours, 10-12 hours a day,(often 5-6 hours on saturday), so time is really against me, and last my math skills are horrific, I'm lost without a calculator. I do not want to be a "have-not." I want to better myself, but I'm feeling like I won't be able to. I would really appreciate advice from a professional or someone involved with higher education. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 09:50 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
As time goes on I realize that the economic landscape of America is changing. Slowly, but surely we are seeing a greater and greater divide between the educated and un-educated. This will eventually transform into a nation of "haves" and "have-nots." Like it or not, the middle class is loosing power and size. I want to go back to school and get my degree. The past few years I've become intrigued by how people think and interact so physchology interests me. Here are my dilemmas; I've never been much of a classroom leaner, I've always learned by actually doing not by listening to a teacher or reading out of a book, I work long hours, 10-12 hours a day,(often 5-6 hours on saturday), so time is really against me, and last my math skills are horrific, I'm lost without a calculator. I do not want to be a "have-not." I want to better myself, but I'm feeling like I won't be able to. I would really appreciate advice from a professional or someone involved with higher education. Thanks.
Eventually? Hasn't it been this way for the last 10-20 years? There is barely a middle class left...
Unfortunately society has accepted the notion that folks need to be "book" smart if they are to assume certain roles in the community. It won't matter how intelligent one is; if they have no "education" they are ignored.

I just wonder who it was that taught original "teachers" and how did education come to be if there were no "educated" folks in the beginning?

All knowledge originated from SOMEWHERE and at one time there was NO knowledge until someone learned it on their own.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:18 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,961 times
Unfortunately, many of the educated also have not.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
In the field of psychology, a bachelor's degree will get you an entry level job in a social agency, maybe
$40,000 if they haven't been dropped by budget cuts. To become a "have" as you put it will require a master at least, better yet PhD. That's 2-4 years of graduate school in addition to the 4 year degree.

Psychology degrees do require a significant amount of statistical analysis work (think math and numbers).

Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
You should see a education/career counselor. Almost every state school has one. Stay away from any for profit schools. They just want your money.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:32 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
maybe pshychiatric nursing?

won't make as much but won't need as much schooling either.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:15 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,664 times
Default all colleges charge money

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
You should see a education/career counselor. Almost every state school has one. Stay away from any for profit schools. They just want your money.

You do not think your state colleges and universities want your money? See how long they let you enroll in classes if you do not pay them.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:41 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post

You do not think your state colleges and universities want your money? See how long they let you enroll in classes if you do not pay them.
Their goal is not make a profit for investors or shareholders. That's a big difference.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:50 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
Back on topic please. The OP has said nothing about an interest in a for-profit college.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:44 PM

51 posts, read 362,528 times
Have you already done your general ed? If so you can skip this paragraph. If not, then , you have to go through general ed - at a community college - if you want to get a Bachelors. I know you said you do not want to go through math, but having math up to at least pre cal/statisitcs is unavoidable. After you do that you apply to a 4 year school and declare psychology. Chances are you will have one more statisitcs class, but the curriculum may vary for each school.

With that said, I STRONGLY advise AGAINST majoring in psychology or any humanities major. You say you want to get to know how people think or why they do things, but these skills are not definitely not taught at a BA level. Most classes you will take will only give you a general sense on the different fields in psychology. For example, you might take a class on the Psychology of Personality thinking you will learn about human personalities, but chances are you will only learn about personality theories and the history of personality psychology. In other words, if you expect to get a job as a therapist or being able to read people like on tv, you might want to reanalyze your choices. Generally these people have many years of school and training.

Is there anything else that interests you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities