Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 PM

381 posts, read 842,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Locking the students out of the room is probably going to cause her a bit of grief as tardiness is often a fact of life when people have day jobs. If an instructor ever did that to me, I'd go straight to his or her supervisor about it.
I had a professor who did that and no one went to the head of the department to complain. That's childish. What it taught those who were able to attend on time was discipline. If you want to get the material from this particular professor then show up on time. It's a simple process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 06:17 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That's my question View Post
Someone once told me that timeless is next to godliness. Well the students in my sisters college classes do not agree. She teaches small seminar classes where latecomers are disruptive. She begs the students to be on time but no one listens. Half of the students are late constantly walking into class 30 minutes late without an excuse. Discussion has to end while the person walks in and moves loudly to their seat and puts away their coat. When called to task for being late they simply say, "I was held up"

Would you recommend that the Instructor just lock the door when the class starts and not let in any latecomers?
Absolutely.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmalt View Post
I've had instructors take students aside and tell them their grade will suffer if they continue to be late, or even ask them to drop the class if they can't be on time. It is not unreasonable to ask that they be there and ready with everyone else.

On the other hand, as one who relies on public transportation, it's not unusual for my bus to be late and cause me to arrive 5-10 minutes late to class. The only alternative is to take a bus that would put me at school an hour earlier, which I am frankly unwilling to do for an 8:30 am class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've had to do EXACTLY that thing, before...only not for class, for a job. You do what you've gotta. Work is not forgiving of public trans snafus. No reason for schools to be, either.

I worked at a brokerage house in my early 20s. The bus schedule in my area leaves a lot to be desired. Not only was I allowed to come in 10 minutes late everyday because of it, I ended up getting promoted.

Most reasonable people will work with employees who are worth it.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Speaking as a recent chronically late student --

i never saw the big deal. i paid my thousands in tuition to be there, so i felt that it should be up to me whether i miss a few minutes of class time... nevermind that, more often than not, it was another professor's fault for holding up the previous class. yet i never saw one teacher confront the offending teacher about this problem, it was always the fault of the student caught in the middle.

if it was truly disruptive, that's understandable, but that argument rarely held water with me. it never disrupted me as a student when someone else came tardy, and most teachers seemed to ignore it perfectly well and no one seemed affected by the guy who slipped in the door and sat down in the back. The times the class was "disrupted", was when the professor would stop talking and "make a scene" to embarass the late student.

my belief is that it was a little power trip for the professor. i lost respect for the teachers who felt compelled to wield their control over petty issues, especially when the most effective teachers didn't care.

Entitled much?

You follow the rules of the environment. It's not a power trip. It is extremely disruptive to arrive late for class. I *hate* when fellow students do it during a lecture. It's really rude.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
It's college, not kindergarten. I'd suggest she remember that her students are adults who have adult lives. If she doesn't like them coming in late, then just have late people sit in the back. Unless of course she has assigned seats like you would for little kids. Then, the interruption is her fault.
She should lock the door and be done with it.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
^Not all people have the luxury of having nothing else to do. If you're taking graduate classes and your boss needs you to stay and finish something for a presentation or you get an emergency call from a customer a few minutes before you're supposed to leave work, you would keep timely attendance as your priority? In my opinion, that makes you the one who is less competition for the rest of us.
Then an email or phone call to your professor is in order.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
So college students do not recognize that it is *rude* to come to class late and disrupt a seminar? I am glad I don't teach college anymore and I am glad I was brought up in an era where being on time was considered a virtue.

There are times when being late is unavoidable, but if several students are coming in late constantly and coming in more than 5 to 10 minutes late, then why are they even in the course? This is *your* education. If the class is not valuable enough for you to be on time, then why even bother to come to class at all?

I taught math on both the high school and college level. While I never penalized students for being tardy, we did not have much of a problem with this back in the 70s when I taught college. If students were tardy, they missed a lot. There were very few college freshmen who could *get it* from reading the book in Finite Math or Calculus. Since they had to pass a math class or flunk out entirely, they usually came to class on time.
Put that big brush away. I was raised in the 80s and 90s. I know being on time is important.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
Well, college students are grown folk. And if grown folk want to be late, then its their business.

I was late to an accounting class this week by about five minutes. I feel as long as it is not a regular thing and you are only late by at most 10 minutes, then its ok. I was late today for an econ class by 25 min. So I waited outside until the class ended (another 25 min) to give the prof my hw.
Not when those "grown folk" are interrupting a lecture that I am listening to. Then it's *my* business.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:22 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've had to do EXACTLY that thing, before...only not for class, for a job. You do what you've gotta. Work is not forgiving of public trans snafus. No reason for schools to be, either.
Agreed. I was reprimanded at a job I had some time ago about being late. I let my boss know that I took public trans bla bla. He said, Braunwyn, that's not my problem. I was 14 or 15 years old. Big lesson. Not that I learned. I was fired from a different job years later for being 5 minutes late every day. It was for 6:25 am. It was important to my mgr and I couldn't measure up. Fortunately, I have a job now where it doesn't matter when I come in or leave. I'm never late for meetings, tho. And I was rarely late for my classes in college.

My dh, OTOH, is always early for everything. He's in school and wouldn't schedule a class that he couldn't be early for.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Most reasonable people will work with employees who are worth it.
Employees who can't work out a way to make it to work in a timely manner aren't necessarily going to be valued as worth it in all settings, though. Chance you take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities