Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 01:48 PM

765 posts, read 2,127,780 times

Advertisements

There are various schools that have been called this. What, in your oppinion is the true Harvard of the Midwest, and if you can't give just one answer, just tell me what are the best colleges and universities in the midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 02:08 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
Only Northwestern and the University of Chicago rate in the top 10 nationally.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:54 PM

201 posts, read 469,840 times
Illinois?

Old 01-29-2011, 02:57 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Only Northwestern and the University of Chicago rate in the top 10 nationally.
you are incorrect. washington university in st. louis is either tied with or ranked above northwestern, depending on which ranking you look at. northwestern is usually ranked as #11-13 nationally, not a top 10.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:59 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
There are various schools that have been called this. What, in your oppinion is the true Harvard of the Midwest, and if you can't give just one answer, just tell me what are the best colleges and universities in the midwest.
None, the whole Harvard of the Midwest, or South, or wherever ... along with the public ivy mantra are both dumb. Truth be told many universities have departments better than Harvard. It not only puts Harvard on a pedestal, but takes away of other universities contributions. UChicago for instance can easily stand on it's own. So can Stanford, NYU, Northwestern, or any school like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
you are incorrect. washington university in st. louis is either tied with or ranked above northwestern, depending on which ranking you look at. northwestern is usually ranked as #11-13 nationally, not a top 10.
In what...?
I would say Washington is 3rd behind both UChicago and Northwestern though.

National Universities...

UChicago 9
Northwestern 12
Washington 13
Notre Dame 19

Business
Northwestern 4
UChicago 5
Washington 19

Law
UChicago 5
Michigan 9
Northwestern 11
Washington 19

Economics
UChicago 1
Northwestern 8

Michigan/Notre Dame/Minnesota/UW Madison/UI are also all good but not as well rounded...

Last edited by grapico; 01-29-2011 at 03:19 PM..

Old 01-29-2011, 03:52 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Its University of Chicago for sure. Its #7 on Forbes billionaire universities list, tied with NYU. If I'm not mistaken, its the most expensive school in the midwest also. Northwestern is ranked #9(tied with several others), but I say its more like the Princeton or Standford of the Midwest. Not this really matters, but Tom Hanks son goes to Northwestern.
In Pictures: The Billionaire Universities - Forbes.com

Old 01-29-2011, 03:55 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,468 times
best medical research universities:

#4 washington univ. in st. louis
#13 u. of chicago
#18 northwestern univ.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:21 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
None, the whole Harvard of the Midwest, or South, or wherever ... along with the public ivy mantra are both dumb. Truth be told many universities have departments better than Harvard. It not only puts Harvard on a pedestal, but takes away of other universities contributions. UChicago for instance can easily stand on it's own. So can Stanford, NYU, Northwestern, or any school like that.

In what...?
I would say Washington is 3rd behind both UChicago and Northwestern though.

National Universities...

UChicago 9
Northwestern 12
Washington 13
Notre Dame 19

Business
Northwestern 4
UChicago 5
Washington 19

Law
UChicago 5
Michigan 9
Northwestern 11
Washington 19

Economics
UChicago 1
Northwestern 8

Michigan/Notre Dame/Minnesota/UW Madison/UI are also all good but not as well rounded...
Why is it such a stretch? Harvard is pretty universally found to be the best institution of higher education in the country, this thread is just asking which is the best school in the midwest.

I think UChicago, Northwestern, Notre Dame, WashU, and Michigan are all good candidates. Michigan is probably the most well-rounded (for sheer size and versatility) with UChicago being the most acclaimed historically.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Why is it such a stretch? Harvard is pretty universally found to be the best institution of higher education in the country, this thread is just asking which is the best school in the midwest.

I think UChicago, Northwestern, Notre Dame, WashU, and Michigan are all good candidates. Michigan is probably the most well-rounded (for sheer size and versatility) with UChicago being the most acclaimed historically.
I just think it takes away from their own contributions. It is the most well known, I am not so sure the best... Who is the best in CS? MIT/Stanford.
Best in English? UC Berkeley/Stanford
Political Science? Michigan
Philosophy? NYU

Just saying... Harvard isn't the be all, end all.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:23 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,958,846 times
University of Chicago would definitely be the Harvard of the Midwest in the sense that it is the most prestigious school in the Midwest.

Michigan, Northwestern, WashU, UW-Madison, Notre Dame, and Illinois-Urbana Champaign are all excellent schools with many top ranked programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities