Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 02:00 PM

19 posts, read 37,235 times

Advertisements

To those of you that b***h about college, know that your failure is 100% your fault! Stop blaming the colleges.

Now, since I’m the kindest man in the world I will give you wonderful words of wisdom your loving parents should have given you.

1. The world owes you nothing! (you need to think outside the box and learn to fend for yourself, stop waiting for someone to hand you stuff, jobs, etc)

2. College is just a door opener; it is not a guarantee-for nothing in life is. (When the door opens you still have to go through it and deal what’s on the other side, and most of the time, it isn’t roses!)

3. Life is very competitive and it is not fair. (it is not fair that shaq is 7’7 and I’m 6’3, and I’m sure the 5’2 guy thinks it’s not fair for him either)

4. In the long run, you will never, ever lose by getting your college degree!

Dam I could go on and on but I don’t want to be Tony Robbins!

Don’t get the wrong impression, I’m not saying “ha ha you’re dumb and don’t know what your talking about” You are just misguided and not seeing the whole picture. But every time you make a post about how dumb college is you are just painting a picture of yourself as the real fool.

Opportunities are very few and far for those without college education.

Does college cost much, it sure does, however, there are lots of solutions to that problem, but that’s another post.

(note, if there are spelling/grammatical issues, I was not an English major, ha ha!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 02:33 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
Who said anything about failure?

I'm pissed that the COST has grown expedentually, while int he last 11 years since I first went it has been dumbed down almost as dramatically, that it takes 5 months to cover materials that I could learn in 1-2 weeks (Not all classes, just many) and that in order to get this piece of paper I have to spend my money and time to support non-self supporting departments such as 'music appreciation'.

Not to mention that they will require you to buy a $75 text book that you will use once, or not at all (Not allclasses, but many) and then 'stop using that one' just to change around the chapters so they can sell more new ones at $150 each.

Should I go on?

College is a rip off. Even IF you are networking, getting certifications, taking max hours, participating in career building activities etc.

Quote:
"Never" is a strong word:
the-555000-student-loan-burden: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Oh, and I'm in school full time, been on the deans list ever since returning to school (Easily), interning, and plan on starting my masters in less than a year.

it's still a rip off.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:51 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Who said anything about failure?

I'm pissed that the COST has grown expedentually, while int he last 11 years since I first went it has been dumbed down almost as dramatically, that it takes 5 months to cover materials that I could learn in 1-2 weeks (Not all classes, just many) and that in order to get this piece of paper I have to spend my money and time to support non-self supporting departments such as 'music appreciation'.

Not to mention that they will require you to buy a $75 text book that you will use once, or not at all (Not allclasses, but many) and then 'stop using that one' just to change around the chapters so they can sell more new ones at $150 each.

Should I go on?

College is a rip off. Even IF you are networking, getting certifications, taking max hours, participating in career building activities etc.

"Never" is a strong word:
the-555000-student-loan-burden: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Oh, and I'm in school full time, been on the deans list ever since returning to school (Easily), interning, and plan on starting my masters in less than a year.

it's still a rip off.
I think whether or not a class is "dumbed down" depends on the type of school you chose, and the major you selected. I graduated from a top engineering school, and I'll guarantee you nothing was "dumbed down." In fact, half the freshman class changed their major or dropped out entirely.

I agree about the costs-- they have spiraled out of control. Every year they have to raise tuition. And textbook costs are ridiculous...
All these professors write books, then expect their whole class to buy them. Then the next year, they come out with a new edition (where they change minor details) and expect the incoming class to buy that edition-- thus stopping new people from buying used books from the old class.

College isn't a "rip off" if you actually do your research before selecting a major and picking a college. You need to ask about job placement before you even decide to pursue a degree. Also, you need to take into account whether or not your degree will pay out in the long run, especially if you have to take on debt.

The "rip off" is all these parents telling their kids to "major in whatever you like, honey." They are doing a major disservice to their children. Kids these days don't get the advice they need to be successful in life-- it's not their fault, it's their parents lackadaisical attitude toward parenting that is the problem.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:04 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I think whether or not a class is "dumbed down" depends on the type of school you chose, and the major you selected. I graduated from a top engineering school, and I'll guarantee you nothing was "dumbed down." In fact, half the freshman class changed their major or dropped out entirely.
Did you go to similar schools in a similar geographic region, and take similar classes separated by 10 years?
I did, and while I'll admit it is an opinion, that's what I base it on.

-What 19 year old kids do has no bearing on whether it's had to be 'broken down barney style' more.

Quote:
I agree about the costs-- they have spiraled out of control. Every year they have to raise tuition. And textbook costs are ridiculous...
All these professors write books, then expect their whole class to buy them. Then the next year, they come out with a new edition (where they change minor details) and expect the incoming class to buy that edition-- thus stopping new people from buying used books from the old class.
Yes

Quote:
College isn't a "rip off" if you actually do your research before selecting a major and picking a college. You need to ask about job placement before you even decide to pursue a degree. Also, you need to take into account whether or not your degree will pay out in the long run, especially if you have to take on debt.
FinAid | Calculators | College Cost Projector
Quote:
[SIZE=2]College costs increase at about twice the inflation rate[/SIZE]
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/03/ed...03college.html
Quote:
Over all, the report found, published college tuition and fees increased 439 percent from 1982 to 2007 while median family income rose 147 percent.
Quote:
Those findings are stark. Last year, the net cost at a four-year public university amounted to 28 percent of the median family income, while a four-year private university cost 76 percent of the median family income.
Rip off.

Quote:
The "rip off" is all these parents telling their kids to "major in whatever you like, honey." They are doing a major disservice to their children. Kids these days don't get the advice they need to be successful in life-- it's not their fault, it's their parents lackadaisical attitude toward parenting that is the problem.
Disservice... Absolutely. Ripoff, no. (They arn't paying the parentals)
Kids AND parents fault.

ETA:

Quote:
Correction: December 4, 2008
Because of an editing error, an article on Wednesday about the increasing cost of higher education gave an incorrect context for two figures: the 439 percent increase in college tuition and fees and the 147 percent increase in median family income since 1982. Those figures were not adjusted for inflation. The error was repeated for the data in an accompanying chart. A corrected chart appears at nytimes.com/national.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:13 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
I think that recent college graduates expect a large salary so it doesn't take them 25 frickin' years to pay off their college loan debt.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:19 PM

355 posts, read 1,115,753 times
Partially agree with OP.

A degree is not required to sustain you and your family if you seek a career that does not require that "piece of paper". Vocational/trade schools and certifications are options for those of us who opt out of college.

HS counselors should push these as alternatives, not attempt to shove a degree down our throats as if our lives and personal finances depended upon it. I pursued certifications (against my teachers' and counselor's advice) and have landed myself great jobs because of it..

It is up to each and every individual to make the most out of his/her circumstances.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:03 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvsmith View Post
To those of you that b***h about college, know that your failure is 100% your fault! Stop blaming the colleges.

Now, since I’m the kindest man in the world I will give you wonderful words of wisdom your loving parents should have given you.

1. The world owes you nothing! (you need to think outside the box and learn to fend for yourself, stop waiting for someone to hand you stuff, jobs, etc)

2. College is just a door opener; it is not a guarantee-for nothing in life is. (When the door opens you still have to go through it and deal what’s on the other side, and most of the time, it isn’t roses!)

3. Life is very competitive and it is not fair. (it is not fair that shaq is 7’7 and I’m 6’3, and I’m sure the 5’2 guy thinks it’s not fair for him either)

Don’t get the wrong impression, I’m not saying “ha ha you’re dumb and don’t know what your talking about” You are just misguided and not seeing the whole picture. But every time you make a post about how dumb college is you are just painting a picture of yourself as the real fool.

Does college cost much, it sure does, however, there are lots of solutions to that problem, but that’s another post.

(note, if there are spelling/grammatical issues, I was not an English major, ha ha!)
Good. Then I can call you glib and supercilious, and you'll have no idea what I mean.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:05 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvsmith View Post

Don't steal my headline or idea.

1) The world owes you nothing...but why should we owe it 4+ years and 20k or more for nothing?
When I send in 100 applications for work, I spend 8 months looking for work with 2 degrees and 1 minor, and can't get more than 4 interviews...I guess I am a whiner wanting a hand out?
You obviously are detached from reality.

2) College just keeps the door from closing sooner, it is not a door opener unless you get a real degree (accounting/finance/computers/engineering/architecture/statistics/natural sciences/health sciences).
Otherwise, all college does is keep the door from shutting as quickly as it would for just a high school degree.
Some could argue that given how poorly liberal arts degrees get any work, let alone decent, and given the cost of school, you'd be better served going straight to work.

3) Who are you to say life is competitive and not fair? I think kids and parents should know the real deal.

4) You will loose time and money by going to college. As will your parents. Kids if you want to go to college and make it worthwhile (as in getting work) major in something NON-LIBERAL arts or go to a cheap state school for a liberal arts degree and party up.

Sorry professor but I think the more people know about the scam of big corporate universities, the better.
I speak based on my experience so 1 less student and 2 less parents do not send time and money to subsidize some lazy liberal arts professor's salary so they can write inane scholarly articles that of little substance.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:45 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,001 times
If you want a free education, consult the following resources:

Google
Wikipedia

no loans required.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:00 AM

80 posts, read 400,327 times
College is a rip off for those who aren't meant to be there. Using your basketball player analogy, not everyone is made for college, and they are the ones getting ripped off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities