Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 04:26 PM

162 posts, read 421,231 times

Advertisements

I am writing this to inform those thinking
about going to college for a fluff major on
student loans. Consider not doing so. I went
to a little known college in northwest Indiana called
Indiana university northwest. I amassed 40,000 on a
business undergrad degree. Where did that take me?Noplace.
I still have to pay 40,000+ interest that I don't have
and the only job I can find is selling AVON. I wish I never
went to school and spent 30 years working in a factory instead.
No job
Loans still need to be paid
Is that what most recent grads are facing.

If so how are colleges getting away with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 04:41 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,654,108 times
Don't know...

To me people need to realize they need to make themselves marketable, and not just marketable, but marketable, and do a proper cost/benefit analysis, on what they choose to do to become marketable.

A degree alone doesn't making you marketable, it can, but it can also be worthless(I know people will argue that any degree is worth while) the problem is I believe that becomes more of a "cost" then a "benefit".)

So learn a trade that is marketable and demand.

Earn a degree that is marketable and in demand.

Or even better learn a trade, get some schooling and certifications, get a good job, that fully pays for your degree.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:58 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,677,840 times
Our society has a the mentality that most people should go to college regardless of the cost. Most people think it will be worth it in the long run despite the loans. When few people had degrees, they were a ticket to get some type of administrative or management type job. Now a college degree has a similar value to a high school diploma in the 1960's. We now have colleges, trade and technical schools marketing themselves to young people and their parents. There is a limit to how many communications, sports management, marketing, fashion merchandising and women's studies degrees this country needs.

It is easy to say "earn a degree that is marketable and in demand," or "learn a trade that is marketable and in demand," but how many HS seniors or their parents are capable of making that decision? And how many HS guidance counselors have the experience and time to assist?

Old 12-12-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Our society has a the mentality that most people should go to college regardless of the cost. Most people think it will be worth it in the long run despite the loans. When few people had degrees, they were a ticket to get some type of administrative or management type job. Now a college degree has a similar value to a high school diploma in the 1960's. We now have colleges, trade and technical schools marketing themselves to young people and their parents. There is a limit to how many communications, sports management, marketing, fashion merchandising and women's studies degrees this country needs.

It is easy to say "earn a degree that is marketable and in demand," or "learn a trade that is marketable and in demand," but how many HS seniors or their parents are capable of making that decision? And how many HS guidance counselors have the experience and time to assist?

You are correct. I can also see our student loan issue causing
alot more social problems as well. Seems like a gamble that only
works for like 40 percent of grads. Will we see more people with no homes
and broke if our society is ok with young people taking on a financial gamble
that may or may not work in their favor.

Also very few things are like these student loans. People have control over how much money they want to save, people have control over how they want to manage their credit cards, but for some reason people have limited control over student loans, difficult to understand.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:30 PM

45,452 posts, read 60,653,733 times
You have a Business degree? What was your concentration (finance, accounting, etc.)
I'm going to assume you're a recent graduate, C/O 2011.
Just a note, we're in the midst of the worst recession and weakest to non-existent recovery since the early 1980's where people with the same degree as you but with years of experience have lost their jobs.

Did you really think the outcome RIGHT NOW would be different? It may be a few years until you can utilize your degree.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:40 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,800,025 times
Why college was worth it for me:

Earned as BS in Electrical Engineering by living at home, attending JC simultaneously with a Cal State Univ. The JC was practically free and the CS was $350/semester + $150 for books, parking, health fees = ~ $500/semester. This was 1979-1986 (I changed majors, worked part time, and attended about 3/4 time plus I was a goof off.)

If I were handing out advice, I'd say do something similarly to what I did. Take advantage of the JCs, live at home if you can, go to a state school to save money and when you graduate you'll probably owe a lot less than someone who attended USC or some place like that. Meanwhile, you invest your salary while he pays off his student loans even if he gets a job that pays 5% more than you did.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetails View Post
I am writing this to inform those thinking
about going to college for a fluff major on
student loans. Consider not doing so. I went
to a little known college in northwest Indiana called
Indiana university northwest. I amassed 40,000 on a
business undergrad degree. Where did that take me?Noplace.
I still have to pay 40,000+ interest that I don't have
and the only job I can find is selling AVON. I wish I never
went to school and spent 30 years working in a factory instead.
No job
Loans still need to be paid
Is that what most recent grads are facing.

If so how are colleges getting away with this.
Good question by appealing to lust for prestige and misrepresenting themselves as white collar trade schools for high paid jobs for life

Old 12-12-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You have a Business degree? What was your concentration (finance, accounting, etc.)
I'm going to assume you're a recent graduate, C/O 2011.
Just a note, we're in the midst of the worst recession and weakest to non-existent recovery since the early 1980's where people with the same degree as you but with years of experience have lost their jobs.

Did you really think the outcome RIGHT NOW would be different? It may be a few years until you can utilize your degree.

I graduated may 2011 with a business administration degree and a computer
information system minor. I knew the outcome would not be great given the
economy crash. However I did not think it would be this bad.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:58 PM

10,121 posts, read 14,998,841 times
Consider moving to a larger city or even abroad (corporations usually include paid luxury apartments, cell phones, and a host of other treats in your compensation package). There's demand for what you studied, just not in the geographic area you're currently living.

Sometimes we have to step outside our comfort zone in order to reach the top!

Hope this helps put you in the right direction.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:18 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,386,062 times
Attending college these days without proper forethought to how much you'll end up owing, could quite literally ruin your life. If anyone ever told me to fork over even $10,000 much less $40,000 or more to get a piece of paper that may or may not help me find a job I'd tell them to go kiss my ass, but because we are allowed to borrow it, it instantly becomes agreeable to the average naive 18 year high school grad. This is how the scam works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities