Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 01:40 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,410 times

Advertisements

I'm working on my Bachelor of Science degree in Retailing and Consumer science. There are a few things that I want to do with it, but I guess the reason why I'm having doubts is because I have been working in retail, at the store level for almost 4 years now and things always start off really well, and then politics begin to interfere. I know what I need to do, but I'm not sure if its me, or if this field is just not right for me, therefore getting me caught in the politics of everything. I really would like to work more at the corporate level in buying/merchandising offices, but ultimately I'd like to use that experience to open my own business down the road. I'm still only in my pre-major classes so I'm about half way done, meaning I still only have my general requirements to work on (I have only a few general classes left) so there might be a chance I can still change my major if I must. I start the University of Arizona in the Fall to take my prereqs and I don't want to waste my money if I wind up changing my mind after that, while I'm getting ready to apply for admittance to my major.

I realize that politics is every job in every field, but the level of politics I'm finding in the retail world, is disgusting to me and its making me very nervous about pursuing this degree and working in this high drama field for the rest of my working life. I'm too simple and easy going for such high strung people.

The worst part is, I'm about to turn 25 and I can't keep fussing around, I NEED a degree so I'm scared to change it, not to mention, I don't know what else I would do, or if I can just stick with my major and go into a similar, less drama filled field.

The only other field that remotely interests me, is public health, but I really have no idea if I'm smart enough for it, nor what exactly I could do with it. One of my best friends is getting her masters in it and everything she tells me about it sounds really neat, but again, I'm not sure I have what it takes. Aside from that, I'm not sure what classes I already have would transfer into it the major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 02:01 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
I had doubts about my Information Technology major about 2 years in and decided to stick with it. It was the worst decision I ever made. When I got out of college I fell flat on my face and with this economy it pretty much doomed my career before it ever really got started. Now I am working a dead end job with no long-term plans. I am about to turn 26 and at my age, I think it might be too late to go back to the drawing board. Bottom line is, base your degree on two things. Do you enjoy it? Secondly, what is the job market like?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I had doubts about my Information Technology major about 2 years in and decided to stick with it. It was the worst decision I ever made. When I got out of college I fell flat on my face and with this economy it pretty much doomed my career before it ever really got started. Now I am working a dead end job with no long-term plans. I am about to turn 26 and at my age, I think it might be too late to go back to the drawing board. Bottom line is, base your degree on two things. Do you enjoy it? Secondly, what is the job market like?
Thank you for your input!

The job market looks promising, businesses are opening everywhere. I enjoy the job itself, at least at the store level, but being micromanaged and made to feel inadequate for every little dumb thing, is starting to grate on me. I'm not sure if it'll change at the corporate level, in an office setting, which is why I'm having doubts.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:19 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Thank you for your input!

The job market looks promising, businesses are opening everywhere. I enjoy the job itself, at least at the store level, but being micromanaged and made to feel inadequate for every little dumb thing, is starting to grate on me. I'm not sure if it'll change at the corporate level, in an office setting, which is why I'm having doubts.
Working retail at the corporate level is nothing like working in the stores. I worked in the IT department for a major department store before the economy collapsed. Generally people with degrees end up in higher positions which are less micromanaged.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Working retail at the corporate level is nothing like working in the stores. I worked in the IT department for a major department store before the economy collapsed. Generally people with degrees end up in higher positions which are less micromanaged.
good lord, I hope so!

Old 04-28-2011, 02:54 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
I had doubts about my major, and I changed it once already from Government to History..

Well, I eventually figured out that a history degree is rather useless, and I'm already full of useless information, so I went and took a couple career interest tests. Apparently the feeling I had that paramedic would be a good thing to do was correct, something to do with having a rather altruistic personality.

I hopefully start those EMS classes next Jan.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:07 PM

158 posts, read 239,159 times
A history degree isnt totally useless, I worked as a teacher for a year and then took off and ended up working as a manager supervising 25 employees. Yes the salary did suck but i took into account that i was already getting paid more than the average cost of living there and i got to live where i had always dreamed.

As for the OP, i think it is different on the corporate level, turtlecreek80, works on the corporate level as a buyer i believe and it has to be different. I myself have worked in retail, and i dont like to say that i have a degree because then people think that I am better and then they get insecure and yes the drama is atrocious as well as the gossiping(which i cant stand). Just realize that if you cannot get a job at the corporate level, then you may be stuck on the retail side of things. Just a FYI

Old 04-28-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I had doubts about my major, and I changed it once already from Government to History..

Well, I eventually figured out that a history degree is rather useless, and I'm already full of useless information, so I went and took a couple career interest tests. Apparently the feeling I had that paramedic would be a good thing to do was correct, something to do with having a rather altruistic personality.

I hopefully start those EMS classes next Jan.
wow, how cool! My little brother is looking into public service fields as well. I think he'd be really good for it since he has a funny charm about him. I think he'd cheer people up really well!

The thing is, I have a TON of interests. my biggest interests have always been fashion, dancing, and health and helping people, which is why health care fields have crossed my mind a few times and I even attempted it in some areas, but the wait lists for these schools would waste my life away. I just want to be out there working full time already.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historygrad View Post
A history degree isnt totally useless, I worked as a teacher for a year and then took off and ended up working as a manager supervising 25 employees. Yes the salary did suck but i took into account that i was already getting paid more than the average cost of living there and i got to live where i had always dreamed.

As for the OP, i think it is different on the corporate level, turtlecreek80, works on the corporate level as a buyer i believe and it has to be different. I myself have worked in retail, and i dont like to say that i have a degree because then people think that I am better and then they get insecure and yes the drama is atrocious as well as the gossiping(which i cant stand). Just realize that if you cannot get a job at the corporate level, then you may be stuck on the retail side of things. Just a FYI
yes, turtlecreek has helped me out a lot! but ya, I am very worried at the prospect of not landing a corporate level job, even with my degree and being stuck on the retail side..its beginning to make me sick and one incident was borderline harassment. I really can't take it anymore. A huge part of me also feels that I need the store level experience to cut it out there in corporate land so I've been sticking it out.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:13 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
wow, how cool! My little brother is looking into public service fields as well. I think he'd be really good for it since he has a funny charm about him. I think he'd cheer people up really well!

The thing is, I have a TON of interests. my biggest interests have always been fashion, dancing, and health and helping people, which is why health care fields have crossed my mind a few times and I even attempted it in some areas, but the wait lists for these schools would waste my life away. I just want to be out there working full time already.
Yeah. If I can ever get my crap together the right way I could try to get into medical school or something (but it'd take me like ten years lol) but I think I'd be rather happy with paramedic. It's basically the highest level of emergency medical services tech you can get to.. administer adv. life support, painkillers, do IVs, intubate people.. etc etc. I'm also going off the thought that the US is gonna need a lot more people in healthcare in general in the next ten or so years. (I have many other interests, none of which I am talented enough to do as a career)

Good luck with your "major" thing and don't be afraid to talk to guidance/career counselors at UofA (hey, I almost went there! I'm the next state over), they're there to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities