Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:04 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
People act like it is just tuition. When I was in grad school not long ago fees alone were nuts. It was almost 1000 dollars in fees every term. And every time you turned around it was another fee. And do not get me stated on textbooks. God is that a ripoff 300 to 600 every term. It is 128 for almost every BA I know of. Add in living expenses 20k is not going to happen. My run of the mill state school now cost 1000 bucks each class for an undergrad class. You need 43 for your BA. A two college around here in all will run you about 10k for 2 years. It will cost you at least 25k for the last 2 years. Total at least 37k in no way is 20k going to happen.
My point to the other poster was not that I lived in her state, but that the $50k number was fraudulent (for tuition)

Can you pay more?
Sure

But I moved to this state due to the low cost of living...

Her $50k number can realistically be LESS than $17k (again, for tuition)

Oh, I live VERY well on less than $1,000 per month

-I live luxuriously on 12, but lived cheaper (but still well) on the smaller number

WITHOUT roomates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 08:05 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,523,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
$20K? For 4 years (120 credits, although my BA required 128)? I have no clue where you are getting that figure, and you are completely forgetting about living expenses.
A savings of 20k overall.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
My point to the other poster was not that I lived in her state, but that the $50k number was fraudulent (for tuition)

Can you pay more?
Sure

But I moved to this state due to the low cost of living...

Her $50k number can realistically be LESS than $17k (again, for tuition)

Oh, I live VERY well on less than $1,000 per month

-I live luxuriously on 12, but lived cheaper (but still well) on the smaller number

WITHOUT roomates
Fradulent? Uh, did you even bother to click on the links? It states pretty clearly that you are looking anywhere from $12,424 - $15,400 per year in tuition & fees depending on what college you are in. Simple math puts that range at $49,696-$61,600 for 4 years but it does not account for tuition increases (which we all know happen) OR any deviations at all from your program (transfer, major changes, etc.) which also tend to happen to many college students. Also, no living expenses (I don't know about anyone else, but I was only able to secure minimum wage retail jobs while I was a college student....but no matter, I still put in 20-30 hours per week!)

Rent where I am from in PA is cheap....$400 per month can get you a two bedroom (house or apt). However that doesn't include anything else. So add in utilities, you're up to $600. You must live where the rents are even cheaper because $400 is a tiny amount of money to stretch out over an entire month (which is the balance of what you are left with after paying rent 7 utilities). My gas alone runs me $50/wk. That doesn't account for food, clothing..anything else. My goodness...this is the year 2011; not 1991 .

(Oh an apartments in my old neighborhood in FL...forget it. $900/month...maybe $500 with a roomate {2 people in a studio just shouldn't be done}).

I will be upfront and say that community college is a great and preferable option for some people. It was not for me because of where I lived. I have a lot of friends in NYC who saved by going to community college/CUNY schools. Also, in SE FL, I took some classes at Broward Community College (now Broward College) that was pretty comprehensive and now even offers 4-year degrees. Same thing with Miami-Dade college. But it is a mistake to think that everyone in this big-wide country has the same access to the same resources....educational and otherwise. Which is why it makes no sense to me why people throw up the "Oh this is what I did, so you can do it too" arguement towards people without knowing or understanding the circumstances within which that person that they are throwing this at lives within.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:35 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
I can't even land a job that pays 10 dollars an hour because I'm overqualified.
How are you overqualified? I thought your degree was worthless?

Old 06-02-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Fradulent? Uh, did you even bother to click on the links? It states pretty clearly that you are looking anywhere from $12,424 - $15,400 per year in tuition & fees depending on what college you are in. Simple math puts that range at $49,696-$61,600 for 4 years but it does not account for tuition increases (which we all know happen) OR any deviations at all from your program (transfer, major changes, etc.) which also tend to happen to many college students. Also, no living expenses (I don't know about anyone else, but I was only able to secure minimum wage retail jobs while I was a college student....but no matter, I still put in 20-30 hours per week!)

Rent where I am from in PA is cheap....$400 per month can get you a two bedroom (house or apt). However that doesn't include anything else. So add in utilities, you're up to $600. You must live where the rents are even cheaper because $400 is a tiny amount of money to stretch out over an entire month (which is the balance of what you are left with after paying rent 7 utilities). My gas alone runs me $50/wk. That doesn't account for food, clothing..anything else. My goodness...this is the year 2011; not 1991 .

(Oh an apartments in my old neighborhood in FL...forget it. $900/month...maybe $500 with a roomate {2 people in a studio just shouldn't be done}).

I will be upfront and say that community college is a great and preferable option for some people. It was not for me because of where I lived. I have a lot of friends in NYC who saved by going to community college/CUNY schools. Also, in SE FL, I took some classes at Broward Community College (now Broward College) that was pretty comprehensive and now even offers 4-year degrees. Same thing with Miami-Dade college. But it is a mistake to think that everyone in this big-wide country has the same access to the same resources....educational and otherwise. Which is why it makes no sense to me why people throw up the "Oh this is what I did, so you can do it too" arguement towards people without knowing or understanding the circumstances within which that person that they are throwing this at lives within.
The point is you are not forced to pay high tuition. It may not be easy but if you were in an expensive state for public schools you could always move to one that has cheaper tuition and establish residency. There are ways to pay not much tuition at top state schools still.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The point is you are not forced to pay high tuition. It may not be easy but if you were in an expensive state for public schools you could always move to one that has cheaper tuition and establish residency. There are ways to pay not much tuition at top state schools still.
Are you kidding? Moving takes money! Money or connections (friends and family) that you can stay with and support you.

-Not everyone has access to this
-Not everyone can swing 1 month rent + 1 month deposit on a new place
-Not everyone owns a reliable car that can take them more than 100 miles on a highway

If it were that easy, than a good number of people would be moving constantly. But that doesn't happen. Heck, if they could even scrape a couple of thousand dollars together, then many people I know who live in the the projects would leave in an instant. But they can't. It takes money to move!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Are you kidding? Moving takes money! Money or connections (friends and family) that you can stay with and support you.

-Not everyone has access to this
-Not everyone can swing 1 month rent + 1 month deposit on a new place
-Not everyone owns a reliable car that can take them more than 100 miles on a highway

If it were that easy, than a good number of people would be moving constantly. But that doesn't happen. Heck, if they could even scrape a couple of thousand dollars together, then many people I know who live in the the projects would leave in an instant. But they can't. It takes money to move!
So you are willing to go 100k into student loan debt for a bachelors and MBA from tier 3 schools but coming up with a couple grand to move is crazy? That makes little sense.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
So you are willing to go 100k into student loan debt for a bachelors and MBA from tier 3 schools but coming up with a couple grand to move is crazy? That makes little sense.
Actually it makes perfect sense. That is because student loans don't require co-signers or credit checks. Therefore money just to have in my pocket...only if it is $1,000 was not accessible to me. People who live at or beneath the poverty level don't have access to credit cards. I clearly remember my mother's yearly income on my 1st year FAFSA application back in 1997...$12,500 GROSS.

I will tell anyone....if it wasn't for student loans, there was no way that I would have ever been able to go to college. Student loans are the only ones that don't look at your credit...that don't have minimum income requirements...don't require co-signers....etc., etc. Like I said before, debt is debt. Student loans are some of the most flexible debt around. What difference does it make if you are $100K in debt over your home, or your cars as opposed to your education? At least with student loan debt, you have options to manage it if you still remain low-income. Not the case with mortgages and cars!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:54 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
Quote:
Student loans are some of the most flexible debt around.
I don't think this is true anymore, particularly for private student loans. I called Citibank yesterday to find out what my options were to reduce my min. payment since it jumped nearly $175 after my graduated repayment plan expired and they told me there were no options available. I don't want a forbearance or deferment, I still want to pay my loans. I just need to be able to afford to pay them. Nobody is even consolidating anymore either, unless you're talking about a federal loan. I am slowly developing the opinion that student loan debt is just as toxic as ANY debt. Put it this way, I would advise against it if anybody came to me with questions.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Actually it makes perfect sense. That is because student loans don't require co-signers or credit checks. Therefore money just to have in my pocket...only if it is $1,000 was not accessible to me. People who live at or beneath the poverty level don't have access to credit cards. I clearly remember my mother's yearly income on my 1st year FAFSA application back in 1997...$12,500 GROSS.

I will tell anyone....if it wasn't for student loans, there was no way that I would have ever been able to go to college. Student loans are the only ones that don't look at your credit...that don't have minimum income requirements...don't require co-signers....etc., etc. Like I said before, debt is debt. Student loans are some of the most flexible debt around. What difference does it make if you are $100K in debt over your home, or your cars as opposed to your education? At least with student loan debt, you have options to manage it if you still remain low-income. Not the case with mortgages and cars!
I'm willing to bet it doesn't make sense to most people. All you've proven about it is that it's EASY money to get. That doesn't mean it's money well spent.

Your various statements contradict each other.

You say you have no regrets about going 100k into debt but then post you've never made close to 40k?(I think that was amount)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities