Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 03:09 PM

326 posts, read 813,872 times

Advertisements

I hate living in my home town! i especially hate living with my parents and i want to get out of the south but problem is where i want to go I dont know anyone. I was thinking about applying to a junior college out there (san diego) and taking out a loan that will help me pay for housing? But the problem is I would need a car to get a round right? Would it be wiser to just stick it out and finish school in my hometown as much as I hate living here or should I just take the plunge and move to the city of my choice? need advice please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 04:06 AM

251 posts, read 767,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
I hate living in my home town! i especially hate living with my parents and i want to get out of the south but problem is where i want to go I dont know anyone. I was thinking about applying to a junior college out there (san diego) and taking out a loan that will help me pay for housing? But the problem is I would need a car to get a round right? Would it be wiser to just stick it out and finish school in my hometown as much as I hate living here or should I just take the plunge and move to the city of my choice? need advice please!
it depends.

are you going to a community college now? if you are, classes might be easier to transfer. if not, you might run into a problem of retaking classes that you've already taken.

another thing to consider is differences in costs of where you're at the moment. CA is in extreme debt and raising rates for the education system (that includes community colleges as well). a loan is possible, but the loan might not benefit you because of how expensive it's becoming to go to school in CA. also, keep in mind that you'll be an out of state student and will have to pay more upfront.

if you're almost done with going to school there, then it might be best to just wait it out and finish. economically, it seems the most feasible because if you leave, you will need to spend more money to sustain being on your own.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:18 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
I think it’s unwise to incur significant debt to go to a community or junior college. People frequently post on the New York City board about moving to New York to attend a community college. What they really want to do I live in New York City. That’s fine, but they should be honest with themselves about what that doing and realize that living for a few years on educational loans is a bad idea.

Because the loans are from the government, there’s no way get out of paying the debt. If you’re going to take out loan, it should be for a school and degree that’s worth it.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:23 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Stick it out. And while you are living with your parents, save as much money as possible.

Do not go into debt for community college. Do not go into debt for any school unless you know what you are going to do with the education. Have you decided what you want to do?

Old 05-26-2011, 07:09 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
I don't see why you couldn't transfer to a California JC. I did my first 2 years at a JC (then went on to a university)and met people from all over the country, Alabama, Florida, Utah, and Louisiana who were there to go to school. You could do it but housing is going to be expensive and if you live in San Diego, rent+other living expenses will eat up all of your school loans. Go ahead and apply.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:37 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
If you move, what are you going to graduate with other than a lot of debt? No, it is not a wise move to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities