Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:42 PM

114 posts, read 121,830 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I will be entering my Senior year in the fall, I am a returning student and looking forward to completing the journey but of course anxious about re entering the job market. Without giving too much personal information, I will be graduating with a degree in Poly Sci and plan to apply to just about any job I can find that will let me, with a BA do I have any shot competeing at entry level jobs in business with Bus Mgmt or Finance majors? I know I have the capacity I just all of sudden feel like I may of closed alot of doors with my degree

Thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 09:00 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,744 times
You've got a shot if you have other skills or experience to supplement your degree. I have a friend who's a history major that received offers from investment banks because he spoke Chinese & minored in econometrics. And another classmate was a psych major but landed a job with a Big 4 accountancy largely due to her minor in mathematics. The hiring heads at financial firms definitely want to see that their new hires have the analytical/quantitative aptitude to easily process & manipulate economic data.

If you really want to go into the financial sector & don't have the requisite courses to get a minor, see if your school offers any kind of certificate or post-baccalaureate program where you can get basic finance/accounting/econometric training. Or if you can afford it, extend your college stay another year and take math/finance courses.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:53 PM

Hey thanks alot Im thinking about takin extra time and trying to get a business minor, I moved back home to get back into school and have been more than anxious to get the hell out of here but I figure if I dont get this done now I never will, plus it be nice to have an option of trying for a MBA later in life

Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
I guess it depends on what your definition of business management is. A lot of chain retail stores hire college grads (any discipline) into store manager training programs.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:12 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go9ers View Post
Hey guys I will be entering my Senior year in the fall, I am a returning student and looking forward to completing the journey but of course anxious about re entering the job market. Without giving too much personal information, I will be graduating with a degree in Poly Sci and plan to apply to just about any job I can find that will let me, with a BA do I have any shot competeing at entry level jobs in business with Bus Mgmt or Finance majors? I know I have the capacity I just all of sudden feel like I may of closed alot of doors with my degree

Thanks for any input
Where did you go to school? I'd say that people with BAs from stellar schools would definitely be able to compete with people with business/finance degrees from 2nd and 3rd tier schools. It also depends on what skills you can bring to the table.

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 06-03-2011 at 08:38 AM..

Old 06-03-2011, 04:28 PM

San Francisco State University, no I'm not a marxist, if done alot of entry level work, some bookeeping, warehouse work, little sales, moved furniture for a bit, I got really good people skills, good writer, eagle scout. Its gonna take some work but I could get a minor in business, Im 24 and at this stage in my life where Ive done blue collar work for a while and dont mind that lifestyle at the same time Ive started college, its worthing finishing, Im lucky enough to be able to go to school, so on and so forth. BA's seem get such a bad rap I find myself a in the summer before my senior year a little paranoid about my prospects armed with Poly Sci Degree. To above, I dunno what it is about me, Im real people and dont look down talk down to anybody but I couldnt manage a retail store, thatd just kill me from the inside

Old 06-03-2011, 05:46 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,241 times
What is your ideal job?

Old 06-05-2011, 12:45 PM

Id like to be a lobbyist or something to do with analyzing state or local budgets, maybe some high level sales. Id like to be involved in Capital Hill but growing up this far west I will prolly end up chalking that one up as a loss.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
We have a friend that got a very good, high paying job right out of school with that degree, but he went to George Washington University and worked as an intern his last 2 summers there. Have you looked at internships in Sacramento? For what you want to do contacts are everything. You can do volunteer work for a party or candidate. As for a job in business, most now require a degree specific to that business and something general will not do it, but then with so many out of work it's hard for graduates anyway, since they are competing with experie3nced people.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:28 PM

George Washington is a good school, a little outside my pocket book, I take the attitude that the first step is to get into the interview and then its up to you to sell yourself, people want to do business with people they like, Im just trying to make myself more competitive in the job market with some kinda business tag in my education because thats who seems to be getting hired, also thinking about slowing down my schooling to look for more internship possibilites, I hate living at home but being broke its get old quick too. Any thoughts on a general Business Admin Minor vs a more specialized minor say in marketing or accounting(probably not gonna go that route just throwing it out there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities