Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:06 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Should there be a push for more degrees to go online?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
And when I say that, I don't mean for profits. The one thing for profits know though, is that many people are not 18 yr olds coming out of high school to college full time.

Non for profits need to address these people with worthwhile degrees. IMO. Because we live in a 24 hour world, IMO, education should reflect that, but still be of high quality.
Please re-read the OP ^ before replying.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:02 PM

427 posts, read 1,388,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katet View Post
Yeah CCs are great if you all you want is an AA...those looking for Bachelors and above our out of luck. Oh wait a minute...one could always enroll in a for-profit institution and get the same degree and better quality education.
While there are some CC that are sub par many are really good. Especially here in CT. I went to and graduated from a top tier University with a B.A., and I now work for a well know company. I had great teachers and I had bad teachers, it does not matter what school you got to, even the best schools in the country have bad teachers.

The CC that I am attending now is considered to have the best nursing program in the state of CT, and that says a lot considering we are not lacking for great schools, and students from the CC are picked over students from 4 year schools on a regular basis, because they are so good. I'm going for Respiratory Therapy, also considered to be an amazing program.

And if you want to go on to a 4 year degree, they offer a bridge program, also as long as you are full time at the CC you can take 2 classes at UConn for free.

Some of my best teachers have been at the CC. And they offer a flexible schedule, including on-line classes, taught by the same teachers that teach in the classroom, I took the same Psych teacher for and in-class class, and again for an online class, the amount of work was the same.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:37 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup215 View Post
What about employers that aren't willing to pay people with higher education? I have heard so many people say that can't find a job because they are "over qualified." Employers don't want to pay people what they are worth so they don't hire them. With unemployment so high, people with MBAs, PhDs, and bachelors are competing for the same jobs.
I have only ever heard of districts not working teachers because they were "over-qualified" here on city data. My district actively chooses those with PhDs (not EdDs) and masters in their field over less educated counterparts.

Beyond education I can only imagine it depends entirely on one's field. I know first hand that at most research organizations they will get the best educated person they can in each position.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:13 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,525,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
While there are some CC that are sub par many are really good. Especially here in CT. I went to and graduated from a top tier University with a B.A., and I now work for a well know company. I had great teachers and I had bad teachers, it does not matter what school you got to, even the best schools in the country have bad teachers.

The CC that I am attending now is considered to have the best nursing program in the state of CT, and that says a lot considering we are not lacking for great schools, and students from the CC are picked over students from 4 year schools on a regular basis, because they are so good. I'm going for Respiratory Therapy, also considered to be an amazing program.

And if you want to go on to a 4 year degree, they offer a bridge program, also as long as you are full time at the CC you can take 2 classes at UConn for free.

Some of my best teachers have been at the CC. And they offer a flexible schedule, including on-line classes, taught by the same teachers that teach in the classroom, I took the same Psych teacher for and in-class class, and again for an online class, the amount of work was the same.
Right. The smart move for anyone who doesn't get into a university is to go to a CC and then transfer. Save a lot of money and get a diploma that is respected.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:59 AM

155 posts, read 291,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
get a diploma that is respected
The matter of respsect for online degrees is subjective and not really helpful for someone determining whether or not they should enroll in the program. One should not waste time worrying about if others respect a certain online program. There a plenty of misinformed individuals who don't respect online diplomas and degrees because they are ignorant to the differences.

What matters is the skill set acquired from the program and whether or not the potential candidate is licensed or eligible for licensure, if applicable, in that field. That's what employers are looking for in potential employees.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
The matter of respsect for online degrees is subjective and not really helpful for someone determining whether or not they should enroll in the program. One should not waste time worrying about if others respect a certain online program. There a plenty of misinformed individuals who don't respect online diplomas and degrees because they are ignorant to the differences.

What matters is the skill set acquired from the program and whether or not the potential candidate is licensed or eligible for licensure, if applicable, in that field. That's what employers are looking for in potential employees.
I was referencing getting your AA at a CC and then transferring to a university(on campus).

Either way getting your degree online from a legit school that has entrance requirements is quite different than a for-profit. Employers want to know you met more standards then just "having a credit card" to pay exorbitant tuition fees.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:59 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,234,079 times
Quote:

As has been pointed out many times on these threads about on line degree programs, "perception is reality"

The matter of "respect for online degrees" is paramount in deciding whether or not to invest the time and money for a degree program that no employer will respect or recognize....

Employers will never bother to look any further than the resume if the program attended is not respected.

It isn't even debatable whether "potential employee A "graduate" from Strayer" vs "potential employee B GRADUATE from University of North Carolina Chapel Hill" will get the interview...

It will be potential employee B every time.....that isn't going to change.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:57 PM

155 posts, read 291,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
As has been pointed out many times on these threads about on line degree programs, "perception is reality"

The matter of "respect for online degrees" is paramount in deciding whether or not to invest the time and money for a degree program that no employer will respect or recognize....

Employers will never bother to look any further than the resume if the program attended is not respected.

It isn't even debatable whether "potential employee A "graduate" from Strayer" vs "potential employee B GRADUATE from University of North Carolina Chapel Hill" will get the interview...

It will be potential employee B every time.....that isn't going to change.
You are entitled to your opinion on this matter of respect, but this does not make is a matter of fact. Yes, it will change. Online degrees are the future of higher education and nothing can stop this transformation.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion on this matter of respect, but this does not make is a matter of fact. Yes, it will change. Online degrees are the future of higher education and nothing can stop this transformation.
They are the future for legit universities. For-profits will continue to be the place people go who can't get into any other schools and employers will continue to not value their degree.

Last edited by Gatornation; 07-25-2011 at 06:32 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 06:38 PM

620 posts, read 1,301,044 times
Quote:
I agree with you 100% on these points. Not everyone is meant to goto college; but, we should allow them the opportunity to attend if they want to try for a post-secondary degree. Many are denied access because of Affirmative Action or a lack of spots in the traditional colleges/universities.
Huh?

As to the topic of the thread, I also believe that not everyone needs to have a Bachelor's degree; our society cannot support the abundance of over qualified people competing for barista and retail positions.

I know someone who is pursuing a BA online, and then plans to obtain his MA and PhD all through the same online institution. He has never stepped into a college classroom; his only interaction with his classmates is through the online discussion forum for the course. What I believe he is missing is that one to one interaction that takes place in a classroom; having that competitive classmate who constantly challenges your public remarks and makes you think on your feet. What I have observed from him and other people who have only experienced online education is that they are not developing a depth of analytical and persuasive argument skills that I believe you build when sitting in a classroom. He and I attended a training at work and he was having a difficult time keeping up with the pace of the training and he was easily frustrated by live interaction from the instructor. He is one example, yes, but I have learned that other people have had a difficult time transitioning from the online classroom into a brick and mortar school.

I remember when applying to grad school, one professor advised me not to obtain my BA, MA, and PhD all from the same institution; he said that hiring committees liked to see that an applicant has exposure to different campus climates and different academic systems. Now, we have people who are enrolling in online courses and taking the fast track to a doctorate. I asked my friend if he would have to defend his thesis, and he told me that he didn't have to write a thesis.

I do believe that MBAs may be a different entity since most B schools require you to have a few years of practical experience under your belt before applying. I don't think it is as easy to fall into one of those programs as it would with a MA or MS online degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities