Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
Is it harder to cheat online?
I think it's easier. I have heard of people taking tests for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 10:26 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,126,370 times
I'm taking online accounting classes right now and our university requires that our final exam be proctored. We need to take the test at a testing center at a local college or university. The testing center asks for our ID and the instructor emails the password to the testing center administrators. I take the proctored final exam along with other students who attend the university and I pay a $25 fee or so for being an external test taker.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:58 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
I'm taking online accounting classes right now and our university requires that our final exam be proctored. We need to take the test at a testing center at a local college or university. The testing center asks for our ID and the instructor emails the password to the testing center administrators. I take the proctored final exam along with other students who attend the university and I pay a $25 fee or so for being an external test taker.
How do you guys currently do college level research, case studies, group work, and partake in in-office problem solving with online classes?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:27 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How do you guys currently do college level research, case studies, group work, and partake in in-office problem solving with online classes?
My wife attends George Mason University and althought the class is online she is still responsible for meeting with the other students for projects and such. The biggest problem is trying to get help from the professor or T/A whose only way of communitcating is through email. You do save if you don't need a parking pass ($400/year).

Old 07-22-2011, 11:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
That is one way to avoid cheating on tests. I think in the case I heard of, you just needed a password. Kind of stupid of the college, which shall remain unnamed.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:58 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
My wife attends George Mason University and althought the class is online she is still responsible for meeting with the other students for projects and such. The biggest problem is trying to get help from the professor or T/A whose only way of communitcating is through email. You do save if you don't need a parking pass ($400/year).
Yea, I'm not concerned with the savings. I'd be fine with it costing more or less. Either way is fine. What I'm concerned is that students are getting the same level of education and experience online as they would from a B&M class.

In my classes, we took part in research being done at the university all the way from level 100 classes to the 400s. We also worked on real assignments provided by local corporations and had interaction with people in the field. I don't understand how online classes accomplish that. But I'll also admit, I only know what I read here and on college websites.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:18 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Quote:
Yea, I'm not concerned with the savings. I'd be fine with it costing more or less. Either way is fine. What I'm concerned is that students are getting the same level of education and experience online as they would from a B&M class.

In my classes, we took part in research being done at the university all the way from level 100 classes to the 400s. We also worked on real assignments provided by local corporations and had interaction with people in the field. I don't understand how online classes accomplish that. But I'll also admit, I only know what I read here and on college websites.
The answer basically is, you don't. Online classes are typically your lecture classes or theory classes. Courses in which the curriculum is just reading, writing, and discussing, all of which can be done easily and effectively online.

As for the comment about working 'real' assignments--there's certainly nothing about an online format that would prevent that. In the real world, most people communicate heavily through email and the internet, which is in perfect harmony with an online course format.

And regarding the lab work, you have to keep in mind that even if you set aside online learning and compare only brick and mortar programs in your field, there is a huge difference between schools. It's really amazing how different teaching methods can be. Even in programs and professions that are regulated by state licensing boards (i.e., engineering, medicine, etc), there is a huge difference between how students are taught. It's quite likely that you work side by side with people who did not experience the same lab format that you did and yet still manage to competently complete their degree and navigate their career.

Bottom line: in order to understand and accept online learning, you have to open up your mind a little bit and accept the notion that the way you learned is not the way everyone has to.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,126,370 times
Quote:
I'm taking undergraduate accounting courses; there is no research based assignments such as research papers. Research is in the graduate level. We don't do group work (as of yet, I am only on my 3rd class of 10 but I do know there will be some classes in the future that will require it). Our coursework consists of learning how to post journal entries and what kind of account it is and how to read financial statements. The homework is math oriented (only sub, add, multiply, divide) but we do need to work out the calculations for the answer. In office problem solving is all done via message boards, via email. We use the message board to post our questions and the instructors and students will post their responses. I like the method because I don't have to worry about stopping by the instructors office to ask a question and their advising hours are not compatible with my schedule.
I need these courses to be eligible for the CPA.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:47 AM

412 posts, read 1,229,643 times
I teach at a community college and I teach many online classes. I totally agree with the article because my online students absolutely perform worse than my face-to-face students overall. I taught 2 online classes this summer and will be giving several "F's" due to the fact that several students just did not bother to complete the work.

I don't make my online classes any more difficult than my face-to-face classes. They learn the same material, have the same amount of assignments, and similar tests. It probably just seems more difficult because they have to teach themselves the material. I make all of my online students come in to take a proctored final exam, and they take the same exam as my face-to-face students for the same class. The online students always do a little worse, if they even bother to show up.

As a college we have more face-to-face classes offered since online classes bring down our pass rates and we start becoming at risk for losing some funding from the state.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:53 AM

412 posts, read 1,229,643 times
Quote:
We need more instructors who have the skills to teach an online class. It takes a different type of method to teach an online class to keep the students motivated, engaged, etc. It won't work for every student but it will make an online class much more effective for both instructor and student.
I've taken online classes at a community college for: Biology I, Community Health, Microeconomics, History Part 1 & 2, US Government, Web Design, Intro to Networking.
I think someone adult enough to take an online class should be motivated enough to do their work without me "motivating" and "engaging" them. I give a calendar at the beginning of the semester with all of the due dates for the entire semester. They could easily print it out and tape it on their fridge. I also put announcements up all semester long reminding them when assignments are due. I also send emails with reminders. Whether they log in and complete the assignments or not is up to them. The fact is some people are just lazy and I can't help them.

They don't deserve to pass the class if they can't be adult enough to keep up with the due dates and do the work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities