Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 02:36 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
When giving a criticism, offering up a little praise for what the employee is doing well. Not berating a new employee for imagined wrongdoings or mistakes. Not being excessively anal (as my externship boss was. He was HORRIBLE and I went home and cried many times because of his mistreatment), being fair-minded as a good boss should be. And most of all, not playing head games and focusing on the work at hand.

Oh and acknowledging an employees contribution to the whole would be nice too.

Thank you for asking nicely. That's more then a lot of people have done on this thread.
I disagree. THIS is the problem I was seeing in the new hires before I left engineering. They need their egos stroked to function. IMO, THIS is a problem. I would expect an employee to be able to self assess and know when they were doing well. I shoudln't have to tell them they are doing the job I hired them to do. I should only have to tell them when they aren't doing it or when they've gone above and beyond my expectations.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:37 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Putting new hires through their paces is pretty common in the work place with good reason. It makes employees stronger.
That may well be so. But it also shows the new employee what a-holes people can be.

You may have learned a lot and became a grade A engineer...but tell me what you think of these people as human beings.

I too have had tough bosses. But it's the rare good ones, who were human beings as well as bosses whom I remember with fond thoughts.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:40 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,583 times
Quote:
I disagree. THIS is the problem I was seeing in the new hires before I left engineering. They need their egos stroked to function. IMO, THIS is a problem. I would expect an employee to be able to self assess and know when they were doing well. I shoudln't have to tell them they are doing the job I hired them to do. I should only have to tell them when they aren't doing it or when they've gone above and beyond my expectations.
How do you equate offering up fair praise for a job well done as ego-stroking. People work hard these days. What's wrong with a little "You've done a good job today, I appreciate it". Some people need to hear that along with the criticism because otherwise they think "This guy is just a jerk".

That's not the kind of person I want to be OR work for. Sorry.

I've had good kind FAIR bosses. I know they are out there. It can be done.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:44 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
I disagree. It's important to tell people they are doing well, to thank them when they do a little extra, etc. If I'm collaborating with a colleague I let them know when they're doing a great a job and that I appreciate it. But, this could be a matter of varying corporate cultures.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:45 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
How do you equate offering up fair praise for a job well done as ego-stroking. People work hard these days. What's wrong with a little "You've done a good job today, I appreciate it". Some people need to hear that along with the criticism because otherwise they think "This guy is just a jerk".

I dunno the only "You've done a good job today, I appreciate it" I need is the pay check I get every friday.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:51 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I dunno the only "You've done a good job today, I appreciate it" I need is the pay check I get every friday.
At my company we're not only evaluated on objectives (routine work and goals for the year), but for "values and behaviors". A person's attitude is graded and it can affect your raise and bonus. A part of that is being a motivating and supportive character. Really, some days I think I think my co is a lone ship in the night

Old 08-12-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I agree. If I did what you paid me to do, you owe me nothing besides my paycheck. I would like to hear it if I went above and beyond though. That way I know when I'm working too hard....

Old 08-12-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:

If you did the job you were paid to do, your pay is your thanks. If you need me to compliment you for doing the job I pay you to do, it's ego stroking. Now if you want to work for free, I'll compliment you until the cows come home.

Compliments are only warranted when the work done is above and beyond what was contracted. If you did what I paid you to do, your thanks is your pay. We both know you did, exactly what you were paid to do, no more and no less. If you want compliments, go above and beyond.

What's really funny about this is you claim to be a non conformist yet you are worried about someone else complimenting what you do???? Why does their opinoin matter? Aren't you some kind of free thinker non sheep???? Yet you crave compliments from the shepard....

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 08-12-2011 at 03:27 PM..

Old 08-12-2011, 03:02 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post

As for the McDonald's suit, it's not simply "gee, the coffee was hot". The coffee, which was heated to a temperature causing third degree burns. Plaintiff was a 79yo woman who was subsequently hospitalized for eight days. During the discovery period McDonald’s had to produce corporate documents of similar cases. Hundreds of claims had been filed against McDonald’s, and many of the victims had suffered third-degree burns. But the company had refused to change its policy because "the hotter coffee tastes better".
So no-- it was not a frivolous suit.
Good points. People are still talking about this lawsuit like the woman got a small boo boo and made a ton of money for nothing. I saw the photos of her burns. They were pretty horrific. As far as the OP talking about suing a college. I think someone might have a case if the school lied which has happened. A while back one of the nightly news shows did an undercover investigation and some of these counselors made some pretty outlandish claims. Overall though, I think its a long shot.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I disagree. It's important to tell people they are doing well, to thank them when they do a little extra, etc. If I'm collaborating with a colleague I let them know when they're doing a great a job and that I appreciate it. But, this could be a matter of varying corporate cultures.
I've already said I'd compliment if they did extra. I just see no reason to pat someone on the back for doing, exactly, what I hired and paid them to do. I think most bosses really want more than they're paying you for and they're dissapointed when they get only what they pay for.

Seriously, when I hire a contractor, it's only when they go above and beyond that I compliment them. I always thank them but compliments are reserved for when they are deserved and they really aren't deserved if all you do is the job you were paid to do. If you do more, yes. If you do less, then you get a negative PR and a warning.

That said, my experience has been that environments where employees tend to be underpaid are also environments where compliments flow freely. I'd rather see your appreciation in my check thank you. Seriously, my bonuses and some of the big raises I got while in engineering are all the praise I needed for a job well done. Now that I'm making peanuts in teaching, I get more compliments but I'd still rather have the pay.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 08-12-2011 at 03:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities