Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 03:02 PM

547 posts, read 939,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Fontan View Post
You should go to school to better yourself not to make money.
Wrong.......You go to the library or buy books at a bookstore to educate yourself on something for cheap. No need to waste tens of thousands of dollars just to go to college to "better yourself" as you put it.

Quote:
There is nothing more valuable than education
Money is valuable. The more you have the better off you are financially. Knowledge you gained in college that no one in the business world cares to hire you for isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 04:20 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
Wrong.......You go to the library or buy books at a bookstore to educate yourself on something for cheap. No need to waste tens of thousands of dollars just to go to college to "better yourself" as you put it.

Money is valuable. The more you have the better off you are financially. Knowledge you gained in college that no one in the business world cares to hire you for isn't.
You don't get it. Some people, obviously not you, value education for reasons other than a paycheck. You don't go to college for access to information, you go to be taught how to think critically and evaluate ideas by experts in the field. Education is not technical job training. The fact that critical thinking and education frequently leads to financial success is just a byproduct of the process, not the singular goal.

Obsession with money is good indicator that someone has low self esteem. Who cares how many zeroes are in your bank account? Personality, friendships, health, family, ideals and self respect are far more important than money to most well adjusted people. Money doesn't buy happiness. Many people have both happiness and money, but plenty of people have money but are miserable.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:11 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
You don't get it. Some people, obviously not you, value education for reasons other than a paycheck. You don't go to college for access to information, you go to be taught how to think critically and evaluate ideas by experts in the field. Education is not technical job training. The fact that critical thinking and education frequently leads to financial success is just a byproduct of the process, not the singular goal.

Obsession with money is good indicator that someone has low self esteem. Who cares how many zeroes are in your bank account? Personality, friendships, health, family, ideals and self respect are far more important than money to most well adjusted people. Money doesn't buy happiness. Many people have both happiness and money, but plenty of people have money but are miserable.
What you say is for the most part true, but it seems that most unis don't have the love of education that many of their students profess. When tuition rates have soared far higher than inflation rates, when I see university preses getting near $1 million dollars, and the huge amount of building projects that are going on all across the nation on college campuses which have less to do with supplying and education and far more to do with placating the largest political contributors who have their hands in the financing/construction projects, most of it dependent on ever increasing student debt loads, someone sure as hell has a money obsession and its killing off the capacity for the nation to be college educated....

Old 09-10-2011, 05:11 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
This girl I know, 21 years old, is majoring in psychology. She asked for my opinion about the major and I told her there aren't many opportunities with that major and the expected income isn't very high. She showed me some chart from her school that said the average salary for psychologists is $115k. I guess the school wants students to believe that worthless subjects like psychology are gonna pay bank.

I pointed out that $115k is the salary just for people who make it in the field, which is probably the top 5% of grads. If they included the salary of ALL graduates in pyschology, it'd be far far less. She got a bit offended by this (I guess she didn't want me to spoil her fantasy).

Young people are so gullible, and colleges are taking advantage of their ignorant exuberance to rob them of tens of thousands of dollars. Can you imagine how many professors and college staff would be laid off if students all realized how worthless 80% of majors are?
I don't buy the $115k. Not knocking it, I just don't buy it.

Checking this site the average salary is $84,220.00.

Or this one:

Quote:
Education and Training: Master's degree or doctorate
Salary: Median—$54,950 per year
Employment Outlook: Good
I have a relative that has a doctorate in psychology and he's told me if you want to do anything in this field you must have at least a masters.

Or this one:

Quote:
Annually
On an annual basis the average Psychologist salary is greater than $70.00. The lowest 10% less than $35,000 per year while the upper 10% earned more than $90,000. These salaries are calculated as a mean or average.

You can be sure nearly everyone in that top 10% has their doctorate, don't you think?

Lowest and Highest Psychologist Salary
The lowest paid psychologist salary is less with mean or average wages below $18 per hour. Presumably this is offset by costs of living and other factors. The lower pay levels are associated with rural areas. The highest pay levels are found in major metropolitan areas where the mean or average wage is over $51 per hour. Demand and low supply seem to be a significant factor in fueling higher salaries.
Obviously the $70.00 is a typo and should be $70,000.

One thing a lot of people seem to miss is salary alone means nothing, it's all about where you live.

[quote][The 5 best paying states for a psychologist salary are Vermont, New York, District of Columbia, Rhode Island, and Connecticut./QUOTE]

Dallas, Texas vs Bridgeport, Connecticut earning the top 10% or $90,000.

Using this cost of living calculator $90,000.00 in Dallas, Texas would be equivalent to $147,437.61 in Bridgeport, Connecticut. $90,000.00 in Bridgeport would be equivalent to $54,938.49. in Dallas.

I live in the quintessential Flyoverville in the US. If National Geographic defined Flyoverville my town would be on the map. But I am fortunate that I earn mid 70's and while it might seem low to you if I lived in Bridgeport I would have to earn $124,720.08 to enjoy the same standard of living. Checking the best paying job I could hope for in Connecticut would be $115k and that is the very top. I would probably have to settle for $100k to get a job. Where I live you can get a two story McMansion on five acres with a horse barn and an in ground pool for $225k, I doubt you'd get much of anything for that in Connecticut.

As far as college degrees go I wouldn't bash them because you are more likely to get a job, with better pay, with than without. Just watch the cost because you are the consumer and they are the business.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:38 PM

139 posts, read 648,800 times
I have a psych degree and I got hired to do marketing and advertising BECAUSE I have a psych degree. The field of advertising comes from psychology. Color changes your mood and is used in advertising and marketing to color the mood of the viewer/reader. Words are emotionally loaded. They felt a psych major would do better at marketing and advertising than a lit major, so they hired me. I never envisioned using my degree that way, but they were right. I viewed projects differently than my coworkers because of my background. I would tell them, you can not use that color. You can not use those words. Use this color and these words instead. I understand the subtly to things they don't get.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:18 PM

547 posts, read 939,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
You don't get it. Some people, obviously not you, value education for reasons other than a paycheck.
Good for you. You still could have got your education for a heck of a lot less at the local library if you value education above all else.
Quote:
Education is not technical job training.
Seems to be for the people who are in the medical field, work as teachers, accountants, engineers, and social workers with their degrees.
Quote:
Who cares how many zeroes are in your bank account? Personality, friendships, health, family, ideals and self respect are far more important than money to most well adjusted people. Money doesn't buy happiness. Many people have both happiness and money, but plenty of people have money but are miserable.
Tell that to the millions of people who are unemployed, running out of money, or living paycheck to paycheck looking for a better paying job. No one is asking to make millions of dollars, but one is questioning how they can survive on just 20,000 dollars a year. Having enough money allows you to live comfortably.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:41 AM

337 posts, read 1,023,783 times
Some of you guys really drank the hippie poetry-on-a-lawn-professor Kool-Aid..

Old 09-11-2011, 10:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Fortunately, we got the paychecks to go with our Kool-Aid.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:35 PM

337 posts, read 1,023,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Fortunately, we got the paychecks to go with our Kool-Aid.
But many didn't.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Is it possible that that's more of a reflection on the person than the schooling experience? A lot of variables at work, there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities