Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 02:56 PM

17 posts, read 51,863 times

Advertisements

A lot may depend on how mature your child is. I wasn't ready. I went to a private college and amassed over $100,000 in student loans before flunking out. I am now a big fan of community colleges. The fact is, unless you are going to an Ivy League school, it doesn't matter what college you graduate from. As long as it is accredited and you can provide a transcript, I really don't think most employers care. It also gives the student more flexibility to play around with electives to see if they have interests in any other areas. I spent the first half of college just trying to figure out what my major should be. I learned my lesson the hard way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 08:59 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I chose a community college because its all I could afford. My parents can't help me, and I absolutely refuse to go into debt. Im going to be one of those rare students that graduate debt-free, thank you very much. No 8k or more to for me to pay after I graduate..Id rather keep my future paychecks.
An eight grand student loan will have a monthly payment of about $50. Yes, I know, it is still debt, but $50 a month is not much. While it is commendable to try and pay your own way through college, even a CC, there is a pretty high probability that either A), you are going to find yourself in a situation where a student loan becomes a must, or B), it is going to take you four, five, six + years just to receive a two-year degree; at which point you might be kicking yourself in the behind for not taking out that loan anyways because by this point in time you could have already graduated and possibly have all, if not a good amount, of that loan paid off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I know this. But I also know that if ( God forbid) something happened and I couldnt make payments, then my parents would worry about how to help me.
Parents worry, it's what they do. It is easy to defer a student loan if you fall on economic hardship. Your parents wouldn't have to know.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Another thing is, if you take 6 years to get an AA degree, that is four additional years of deferred earnings. You have to calculate that into your financial plans.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:29 PM

194 posts, read 590,098 times
I don't know about 4-6 years to complete an Associates. Assuming most run from 60-66 credits.

Even if someone was to work full-time say at a rate of even $9/hr. during the daytime, he would accumulate $360 before taxes a week.

community college classes run roughly $80-$100 bucks a credit.
He takes 2 classes at night at 3 credit a piece.

That's only $600 bucks+ the cost of books.

Furthermore, with the 2 classes/6 credits a semester idea, with taking summer classes, he can finish in a total of 3 years, and 1 more semester.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis15 View Post
Furthermore, with the 2 classes/6 credits a semester idea, with taking summer classes, he can finish in a total of 3 years, and 1 more semester.
Which is roughly four years. Maybe longer if the courses aren't all offered at the right times, etc. Sometimes the night offerings are a bit slim.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:20 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis15 View Post
I don't know about 4-6 years to complete an Associates. Assuming most run from 60-66 credits.
Trust me - some people can (and DO!!) stretch out the completion of an AA/AS/AFA/AAS to 4-6 years! Tuition (NC in-state) is ~$42.50/credit hour, not including books/supplies. Total credits depend on program - 64-72.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Trust me - some people can (and DO!!) stretch out the completion of an AA/AS/AFA/AAS to 4-6 years! Tuition (NC in-state) is ~$42.50/credit hour, not including books/supplies. Total credits depend on program - 64-72.
Im confused, you pretty said the exact same thing I did.

We are talking about hard workers here, not people that are trying to take it easy in school and graduate when they are 30.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Which is roughly four years. Maybe longer if the courses aren't all offered at the right times, etc. Sometimes the night offerings are a bit slim.
2 semesters more would be an extra year.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:33 PM

3 yrs plus 1 semester is 3 1/2 yrs. That may be a "best case" scenario, too, under the circumstances you describe. As I said, the evening courses are often limited. You may have to wait to take a required course. Summer courses, too, may be limited.

64 credits (the minimum cited by mm_mary73) = 21+courses. At 5/calendar yr (two per semester + 1 per summer), that is 4+ years. At 6/cal. yr = 3 1/2 yrs.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-09-2008 at 03:52 PM..

Old 10-09-2008, 04:12 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It depends on the name of the college on the diploma, not whether you started at CC.

You can't really get 2 yrs of college credit taking AP courses. That would be the equivalent of taking at least 8 AP courses, and in the right subjects. And there is a huge disparity of quality in those courses. Many colleges don't accept any AP courses, some only accept scores of 5 (the highest), etc. You're better off, IMO, going to a CC and taking the courses approved for transfer. Some courses won't transfer to a 4 yr school, such as vocational courses, remedial courses, etc.
You can get 2yrs of college credit taking AP courses if you know what you're doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities