Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:57 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
I was only speaking of state school's because I believe the caliber of education received is equal to that of a private with the exception of fewer students.

And That's because your husband was going in from a different state probably.
Well, that was part of what was strange -When he applied at the U of D, he had completed a year at Delaware already (just three years prior) one would think that they would accept most of those credits plus the two years of a community college to count as at least two years, but they didn't. They actually wanted him to go in as a second semester sophomore, which means that his two years at the CC counted as one semester. He also applied at Cornell, where he was accepted but they also wouldn't accept most of his CC credits. We were in-state at the time and his CC was in NY. Oh, well water under the bridge.

My point was that I thought your blanket statement "I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that in most states, ALL credits are transferred." was fairly presumptuous. Many majors at CC's are not meant to transfer to four year colleges - they're meant to prepare you for a job after two years.

Here's a quote from the local CC near me, Prospective Students "Wherever you are coming from and wherever you're headed, there is a place for you at Lehigh Carbon Community College. Whether you are taking your first two years of your Bachelor's Degree, preparing for immediate employment or just exploring a new interest, we've got you covered. With more than 100 degrees and programs, ranging from medical assistant to kitchen and bath to hotel and resort management, there's bound to be a program right for you."

If you explore further on the website you will see that there are specific programs designed for transferring and programs designed for jobs with just an associates degree.

I think at this point we're all splitting hairs and saying the same things we've already posted. I'm going to pull out as a responder and perhaps just agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 09:50 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyez02403 View Post
Why does everyone assume that parents will allow their kids to live at home after they graduate high school? Don't most CC's not have dorms? I don't understand how CC's save money if most credits probably won't transfer to a 4 year school either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
^ Trust me, I use to attend a great, top college and from my understanding, psych. is one of the easier majors to choose. That's why it pretty much demands a master's.
Your basic core, college level courses more then likely will transfer. Remedial courses (like pre-algebra, college reading skills, basic writing) will not transfer and some intro courses will not transfer if they are too basic, however that is up to the college that you are transferring into to decide. CC's also tend to have a good amount of technical/vocational programs. Technical programs generally contain a curriculum that is mostly transferable, while vocational programs are mostly non-transferrable. However, it all depends on the program that you are in and the college you are looking to transfer to. The college that you are transferring into will look over your academic record to decide what courses they will accept as transfer. Generally, the way they do this is by comparing the courses that you took with the courses that they offer. Similar courses should transfer. They will look at your CC's college catalog to help with comparisons, and in some cases they may even look at a particular syllabus of a course you took if the course seems questionable.

All colleges are different; they each have their own unique idea of what higher education entails, the standards at which it should be taught, what their idea/requirements of core curriculum is/should be, etc. One college may accept 90% of your credits, while another 'similar' college will only accept 70%.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I think at this point we're all splitting hairs and saying the same things we've already posted. I'm going to pull out as a responder and perhaps just agree to disagree.
Yes, I'm getting there, too. I think to answer the origianl question, . . . maybe.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:49 PM

274 posts, read 606,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I don't know anyone that won't allow their kids to live at home after High School. Teachers (starting salary @ $40,000) don't live in our district because they can't afford to live here. And, no, most community colleges do not have dorms. The CC's that I'm aware of have transfer agreements with State and some private colleges.

It's not uncommon for kids to live at home in my area and attend the CC and then transfer and finish up at a four year college. I think it's a reasonable plan if you cannot afford a four year college and/or do not want a typical college experience. And by that I mean living in a different area of the country or state, etc. Also, nothing wrong with going to a CC and then using a technical degree to get a job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Very few CCs have dorms. Most people do let their kids live at home for a while after high school, but some start charging rent, etc, after a while. I posted this earlier, but many kids start out living at home and then rent an apt locally. Also, it is cheaper, but not necessarily that much cheaper to whoever is paying the bills, for a student to live at home. Commuting expenses need to be taken into account. Those are about nil if you live in the dorms, and certainly less if you live in an apt near campus than if you are driving a number of miles to school.

Most states have "articulation" agreements with at least the state colleges and universities in the state, meaning some approved courses will transfer. If you get a technical degree such as in nursing, you may lose some of the vocational credits if you transfer. I explained this more thoroughly in another thread on this forum.
My parents would not let me live at home, even if I paid rent.

Apparently though, this is not the norm...

Personally, as I could not stay at home (my mother made it clear that I must be out and at college immediately after HS) I moved away to a 4 year school in a city. I purposely chose a city so that my transportation costs would only consist of a subway pass. The cost of living in my hometown, and where I live now is pretty comparable.

I wish I had a year off to live at home and work so that I didn't blow my first year of college deciding what to do. But, at least I found my niche my sophomore year.

It's not a one size fit's all. Either way, it should be the decision of the student, not the parent.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,582 times
The fact of the matter is people who land lucrative careers do so from a combination of talent, attending university or college, and utilizing opportunities and networking. Any student in a community college who is not up to par and cannot succeed in one of the many paths there are to take will eventually be let go by the school as well. What this means, obviously, is that community college also weeds out the students that will not continue to four-year colleges - subsequently, bright and talented students who are there for whatever reason make instructors stand up and take notice. Many (not all, of course) want to see their students continue on to a university, and will go to great lengths to make it happen for them despite the complex lives of non-traditional college students.

University is not only about being granted the degree - it's a tumultous period of socialization that many young adults are not ready for and it is part of the reason many return to community college: Returning to safe-zones. Blaming the atmosphere of the college for this is ludicrous, because face it, a student can easily be a recluse at a four-year school and many can attest to it in their past. If a student has no desire to network, to interact, to waver at the information handed to them, then they do not succeed. This occurs at four-year's constantly and many students simply slip on through with barely-C's and make nothing of themselves. Unless of course, you consider a cubicle-career of 35K any show of "uniqueness" acquired for 80K+.

An individual is an individual and any adolescent with the desire and drive to succeed will make it on to a four-year university and be no worse for the wear - in fact, it may show them how simple some of their lives are in comparison to those caught in ruts, or who have lost jobs which supported families and children. It makes your petty problems seem tiny when you attend a nightclass with a mother who has been struggling for years to receive that paper in her hand - that paper, I might add, that still gives her only one more rung up a tall, arduous ladder and hopefully makes life a bit easier. Community colleges force you to step out a privileged bubble and shake hands with people who have pulled themselves out of hardship and you couldn't tell by simply looking at them. I won't delve into the subjective argument of how my Communication Core classes have been five times more involved than the course material from University of Illinois @Chicago - a close friend of mine has the exact same major plan and he could attest to this. Obviously that is not convincing to anyone on a faceless forum, but he was over-prepared. A couple of the courses offered at the community college which he began his college career transferred as level-300 (junior) courses . . . at UofI @C, for goodness sake.

Not all states are this thorough, of course, but in Illinois we have the IAI system, which puts students on the track of a four-year university. The courses that will in fact transfer to any state school have a code, able to be recognized by any other state school (and several private schools, actually - I'm in the midst of university research). Even classes that are not general education course will transfer . . . I've taken a few electives to feel out different areas of study, including several languages, and they will still count toward the # of credits earned, just not fulfilling a gen ed (although they may fulfill several spots of my potential minor; still researching that). I'm also on track to take a trip along the Mediterranean coast, earning credit and having a rewarding study abroad experience . . . gee, all at a community college.

And as for the "experience" . . . I simply hop on a train downtown to live for a week or so with a friend. It's fun, don't get me wrong, but nothing so groundbreaking that it can't be experienced in small doses.

I guess my overall point is that people are individuals and tossing all community college students into a box - and by judging and generalizing you are influencing their perception of their situation and ultimately contributing to the problem. Personally, I feel that they should ignore the ignorance they hear, but I was raised to be fiercely independent and be open; unfortunately, that is not the case for everyone and others are more easily influenced. You do not have to be a sociologist, or even be interested in the subject to understand the harm that generalizations like this create. It's about humanity and having any modicum of compassion for others outside of your bubble.

//In before insults.

Last edited by Psallo a Cappella; 06-28-2010 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: The "@" made the phrase go funky.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:22 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,226,333 times
I just don't know where people get there information or maybe every state is different.

Here in St. Louis, the main local junior college is St. Louis Community College. STLCC works together with most of the universities around here and makes transferring a breeze. In fact, I would guess general transfer studies is one of the most popular degree paths. So with good grades, you can transfer to any University around here including the private ones.

If I were an employer, do you think I'd care if a potential employee attended two years at STLCC but held a degree from a school such as St. Louis University, Fontbonne University or Washington University in St. Louis.

WashU is one of the best schools in the country. If they don't care that you spent two years at Jr. College, why would anybody else?

I don't care where you go, COMP:101 is COMP:101.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:31 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,202 times
I don't have kids but if I am paying the bill they are going the community college route .Saves money in the long and credits will transfer in the long run .If she/he wants something else pay for it yourself .I am no money pit .

Old 07-01-2010, 02:06 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Of course! My youngest is attending CC right now. Fortunately it's what he wanted because we are still paying for the 5 years of our eldests "4 year college experience"...lol. Live and learn

Old 07-01-2010, 05:11 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
I just don't know where people get there information or maybe every state is different.

Here in St. Louis, the main local junior college is St. Louis Community College. STLCC works together with most of the universities around here and makes transferring a breeze. In fact, I would guess general transfer studies is one of the most popular degree paths. So with good grades, you can transfer to any University around here including the private ones.

If I were an employer, do you think I'd care if a potential employee attended two years at STLCC but held a degree from a school such as St. Louis University, Fontbonne University or Washington University in St. Louis.

WashU is one of the best schools in the country. If they don't care that you spent two years at Jr. College, why would anybody else?

I don't care where you go, COMP:101 is COMP:101.
Every state is different-some have cooperation between the CC's and the other colleges/universities in the state and some don't. In some states the CC system is part of the state university system and some states it is not. We don't have an automatic transfer system in MN. The caliber of classes at the CC's is not on par with those at the state University system and people find they have wasted 2 years at the CC when their credits don't transfer and find out quick enough that they spent a lot of money they shouldn't have "saving" money going to CC first.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:12 AM

81 posts, read 229,895 times
Ofcourse I would. I have many friends who did this and saved alot of money. They didnt have trouble transfering in PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities